In Room H2O Products Now in Large Shareable Bottles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reason to believe savings in this area will offset increases anywhere else (including resort rates). It could just as easily be used as additional profits.

But is Disney making a profit always a bad thing 100% of the time?

It's possible they might be putting the savings right back into the resort. It's not my place for me to tell Disney how to spend their money they make. Disney does not owe me anything. They can raise their room rates and tickets and place their toiletries how ever they want, but in the end it's the consumer who makes the final decision on where they think that it's worth it or not to spend the money they are asking for.

What makes you think the replacement remote would be clean?

the only way to be sure if something is truly clean is to clean it yourself.
You have a point! But at least when they bring another remote to the room it "appears" clean/new and is sealed in plastic. And it definitely looks clean. But I still give it a quick once over with disinfectant wipes.
Just think about how many people will grab the TV remote .... every person in that room!! and while they are eating, just coming in from being all sweaty at the parks, just out of the restroom (before even washing their hands), etc. OK..... now I'm grossed out again!

Staying in hotels requires a little bit of denial. I mean, there's not much between you and that mattress that hundreds if not thousands of other people have slept on. Do they wash those mattress pads in between guests? The blankets? And good point about the coffee makers...I try to wash them out but you can't wash every piece of it. These soap dispensers seem like an easy thing to avoid if it grosses you out.

One question I've had while taking my shower today: to all of you who makes everything in their power to reduce the number of germs, how do you deal with the shower curtains? Do you take them off? Wipe them?

I live in Europe and, while they were very popular a decade ago, their use declined to a point no hotels would use them today (except for Disney hotels at Disneyland Paris).
I suppose WDW takes great care to change them once in a while (albeit obivously not between each guest)

For those of you who are skeeved by using dispensers that others have used, how do you wash your hands when you use a public restroom?
I see you're late to the party. This was the topic of debate on this thread yesterday. :rotfl2: It's all pretty amusing. We have passionate germaphobes as well as passionate environmentalists. I hope everyone who is advocating for communal bottles also composts and picks recycling products out of trash cans (come on, we clearly know you aren't a germaphobe!!).

Staying in hotels requires a little bit of denial. I mean, there's not much between you and that mattress that hundreds if not thousands of other people have slept on. Do they wash those mattress pads in between guests? The blankets? And good point about the coffee makers...I try to wash them out but you can't wash every piece of it. These soap dispensers seem like an easy thing to avoid if it grosses you out.
And pillows....a cesspool of drool. They change the pillowcase but do they wash the pillow?

You have a point! But at least when they bring another remote to the room it "appears" clean/new and is sealed in plastic. And it definitely looks clean. But I still give it a quick once over with disinfectant wipes.
Just think about how many people will grab the TV remote .... every person in that room!! and while they are eating, just coming in from being all sweaty at the parks, just out of the restroom (before even washing their hands), etc. OK..... now I'm grossed out again!

How do you get through the day at the parks without touching railings, or ride restraints, or the elevator buttons to get to your room, or the door to get into the bathroom stall, or the bars on the bus, or the door on the trash cans, or any item in the gift shop or any other surface that every sweaty, just-finished-eating, went potty, snot-nosed, hacking, coughing etc guest has touched?

u say wow, but perhaps you don't live with someone who is immune compromised. Both my husband and son have serious asthma.
But many studies now are showing that allergies and asthma come from us being too clean as a society. Our immune systems aren't getting the workout they need. You don't see nearly as many allergies and asthma in third world countries though they have their own issues. Common and sense and balance!

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news...es-may-encourage-child-allergies-asthma-study

If the dispensers are up high enough, what can somebody really do to one? If it's sealed in so that product can only exit the container and nothing can be put into it, I see little risk of the product being made unsanitary by previous users.

But many studies now are showing that allergies and asthma come from us being too clean as a society. Our immune systems aren't getting the workout they need. You don't see nearly as many allergies and asthma in third world countries though they have their own issues. Common and sense and balance!

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news...es-may-encourage-child-allergies-asthma-study
My son had his first bout of asthma at ten days old. He was born that way. A too clean house was not the cause, genetics were. I assure you that we practice balance. Basic hand hygiene is not over the top and I resent being told that it is.

My son had his first bout of asthma at ten days old. He was born that way. A too clean house was not the cause, genetics were. I assure you that we practice balance. Basic hand hygiene is not over the top and I resent being told that it is.

My son started showing asthma symptoms at 8 months, so I don't think environment was likely to blame for his affliction, either.

I think the issue is that one person's "basic" differs from another's. One person may consider never touching a faucet to be "basic hygiene," while another may think that using the sink in whatever manner is easiest is "basic." The former may sound silly to the latter and vice versa.

I'm not a huge fan of wall-mounted soaps and shampoos (and I have seen these at other high-end hotels) but as far as germs, to me they are kind of like ketchup bottles or salt shakers on the tables at restaurants. I will use them, but I don't like thinking too much about the "what-ifs." ;-)

Nah, don't like this idea. I get disappointed when these dispensers turn up at a Best Western, let alone an expensive resort. You're paying a premium to stay on site so I don't expect cut price communal amenities in the rooms. If this filters up to the Deluxe resorts, I will be very disappointed and will have to reconsider spending the money to stay onsite.
All the best

Nope, won't do it. I only want to use items where I break the seal. Will not use these shared items. Who knows who put what in there. Won't do it.
I agree! We have DVC-and only receive cleaning once a week, and get refilled with our little soap bottles 1x - I will not use wall mounted products and feel that is very low grade when staying at a deluxe resort or any resort on Disney property!!!

I'm not thrilled with this possibility. I tend to bring my own toiletries, but I like having the hotel's as a backup. Sometimes it's even from a brand I like, which is always a nice surprise. It appears cheap on Disney's part not to provide the mini bottles, there is a reason this has only happened in the values before (which I've stayed in, lest someone think me a snob). I'm sure they will try to pass it off as a green initiative. Disney likes being green when it saves them money. It seems gross, but I don't know if it would actually cause illness.

I'm also a germaphobe. There's only so much you can do, though. I touch sink handles with paper towels or my elbow. I don't use the hand dryers. I don't touch bathroom door handles when I'm exiting. I'm not going to go so far as to not use a soap dispenser because it's not perfectly clean. Using hand sanitizer instead is inconsiderate to others because it does not kill most of the germs you need it to from a bathroom trip.

When going to a hotel, theme park, the gym, the mall, etc. I think about germs more than most people, but I try to draw the line at what I consider reasonable precautions. So, things like hand washing before a meal if I've been touching things like lap bars, ticket readers, etc. Wiping down a mat at the gym before I use it and removing the decorations from the bed at a hotel are some things I do. I'm not going to not use the hotel couch though or bring Clorox wipes to wipe down things. I can't make everything clean, even though I totally want to. Everyone has their comfort level and as long as it's not putting other people at risk (like the hand sanitizer example), have at it.

Not happy with this news. They are just taking something else away and charging more. I much like everyone else enjoy our souvenirs from our room. I won't use wall mounted soaps, I am too much of a germ a-phob.

They offer large format shampoo, conditioner, body wash and sunscreen at Discovery Cove (which also charges pretty high prices) and most people see it as an amenity! I am also disappointed that I won't get to take these home when I visit, if Disney moves to this but I think it is a responsible move and I will get over it.

My son started showing asthma symptoms at 8 months, so I don't think environment was likely to blame for his affliction, either.

I think the issue is that one person's "basic" differs from another's. One person may consider never touching a faucet to be "basic hygiene," while another may think that using the sink in whatever manner is easiest is "basic." The former may sound silly to the latter and vice versa.
Exactly. I am a germ-o-phob because I have a few autoimmune diseases and I take medication that trashes my immune system. A bad cold for a normal person could me a stay in the hospital for me.

What is funny is that I don't do half of what I am suppose to do. But I feel like I do much more than necessary.

Not happy with this news. They are just taking something else away and charging more. I much like everyone else enjoy our souvenirs from our room. I won't use wall mounted soaps, I am too much of a germ a-phob.

Where is it said they are charging more?:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!