In your opinion what is the most overrated thing in WDW?

Universal was a distant #2 to Disney at that time. I was saying that Universal was aware that they needed HP, not Disney.

OH!! Ok that makes much more sense. I am sure they did. They offered to do the parks with her creative control control they are amazing.

If it were that special to her then why sell it in the first place? By the way, that works both ways. It's fantasy about a wizard and she's worried that Disney may do something. What, to ruin it? Maybe Sorcerer Mickey or something?:scared:

That's exactly what she was worried about. She didn't want Sorcerer Mickey or Mickey with a lightening bolt scar and glasses. She wanted it just what it is, like walking into the book. Disney could certainly have done a phenomenal job but they would want characters. There are no characters in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley except for performers from the shows and Stan Shunpike with the Knight Bus (who is a hoot). You can't meet Harry.

As a writer of these 7 books, that story is very personal for her. It's like her child and she is protective of it. A lot of writers are that way.

It just wasn't a fit for JK or Disney. You seem bothered by that but I am not sure why.

I don't think I have anything more to add to 40 pages of overrated things, but popping in for a couple of comments:

Dole whip floats with rum are also available at Epcot during F&W. I got one close to the Hawaii booth (I think - I might've had a tequila flight prior to that - it's all a bit fuzzy).

Illuminations. It's slow and kinda boring, and sometimes the wind blows ash in your face.
When I read this, I immediately thought of Walter and The Dude. Somehow, you've made Illuminations better now. "Good night, sweet prince!"

IMG_2066.GIF

I can't believe I've finally finished reading this whole thing. My thoughts: Drives me a little nuts to see someone on page 35 (or whatever) say "Don't kill me and I'll be the only one saying this FOR SURE and everyone is going to hate me because I'm so different, but..... Dole Whips! Yuck!". Really.:sad2: Also, overrated means people talk up its greatness and you disagree. You can't really call the rising cost of ticket prices "overrated" as I have yet to see a thumbs up on that one. One more thing and I promise I'm done.... I remember when Peter Pan's Flight was not a ridiculous wait. The first time I went to WDW ever (I was an adult), I remember waiting about 15 -20 mins for PP. Same as Snow White and Mr. Toad. Yes, that was a long time ago, but I've been many times since then and the crazy jump in wait times seems to me to happened with the queue update. We finally did standby (day before Hurricane Irma, so no wait) and experienced the queue and it was adorable, but like others, no way would I wait an hour for it. It's adorable, but.. wow. No.

My overrated?

Fantasmic. Boooorrrrring, long, thrown together, disjointed ad for Disney DVDs. BUT! Lots of folks like/love it, so that's what makes it overrated to me.:smickey:

If it were that special to her then why sell it in the first place? By the way, that works both ways. It's fantasy about a wizard and she's worried that Disney may do something. What, to ruin it? Maybe Sorcerer Mickey or something?:scared:

Clearly you're not a Harry Potter fan. How would you feel if Disney licensed Mickey to someone and they changed his core look or behavior? Something completely out of character? And asking why sell the rights at all? So her characters and world could come alive. Why NOT do it when there's someone who wanted to do it who was willing to honor your vision and creation?

Clearly you're not a Harry Potter fan. How would you feel if Disney licensed Mickey to someone and they changed his core look or behavior? Something completely out of character? And asking why sell the rights at all? So her characters and world could come alive. Why NOT do it when there's someone who wanted to do it who was willing to honor your vision and creation?

I don't know how I'd feel to be honest. Mickey's look has already been changed over the years.

That's exactly what she was worried about. She didn't want Sorcerer Mickey or Mickey with a lightening bolt scar and glasses. She wanted it just what it is, like walking into the book. Disney could certainly have done a phenomenal job but they would want characters. There are no characters in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley except for performers from the shows and Stan Shunpike with the Knight Bus (who is a hoot). You can't meet Harry.

As a writer of these 7 books, that story is very personal for her. It's like her child and she is protective of it. A lot of writers are that way.

It just wasn't a fit for JK or Disney. You seem bothered by that but I am not sure why.

Because Disney has enough of their own IP. There is so much potential in what they already own. I didn't even really want Pandora in WDW. I would rather have seen something else at AK. I didn't like that idea at the time and I'm still not sold on it.

Last edited:

Because Disney has enough of their own IP. There is so much potential in what they already own. I didn't even really want Pandora in WDW. I would rather have seen something else at AK. I didn't like that idea at the time and I'm still not sold on it.

I am confused. You are bothered about JK Rowling's protection of her property because you didn't want to see it at Disney? You should be glad she was so protective of it and Universal was willing to work with her.

I agree with you by the way. I would rather see Jungle Book or Tarzan at AK but I haven't seen Pandora so actually seeing may change my mind.

I am confused. You are bothered about JK Rowling's protection of her property because you didn't want to see it at Disney? You should be glad she was so protective of it and Universal was willing to work with her.

I agree with you by the way. I would rather see Jungle Book or Tarzan at AK but I haven't seen Pandora so actually seeing may change my mind.

I more bothered by the fact that she didn't want to see Mickey associated in any way with HP? Assumption on her part perhaps? Of course, there may have been more to it than that. Not sure Disney would have even considered it. I've not seen Mickey in Pandora, except for a hidden one, and I doubt I will. It's her right but it just kind of rubbed me. It worked out in the end so it's water under the bridge. If Disney is spending millions or whatever the number may be, wouldn't they want more control over the creative process OR maybe Disney wasn't really all that interested anyway? Kicking the tires? Reminds me a bit of PL Travers, who didn't like anything about the Disney adaptation of Mary Poppins. Again, her right but she was very difficult and Mary Poppins ended up being very well received from critics and fans alike. One of the most beloved films of my childhood.

Last edited:
I more bothered by the fact that she didn't want to see Mickey associated in any way with HP? Assumption on her part perhaps? Of course, there may have been more to it than that. Not sure Disney would have even considered it. I've not seen Mickey in Pandora, except for a hidden one, and I doubt I will. It's her right but it just kind of rubbed me. It worked out in the end so it's water under the bridge. If Disney is spending millions or whatever the number may be, they also would expect a bit of control over what they want to create. Reminds me a bit of PL Travers, who didn't like anything about the Disney adaptation of Mary Poppins. Again, her right but she was very difficult and Mary Poppins ended up being very well received from critics and fans alike. One of the most beloved films of my childhood.

Well in fairness, Mary Poppins was being made into a movie not a theme park section. But I see the comparison. But if JK didn't maintain the control she did over the movies, we may have seen an animated version or worse. So her judgment about her property has been pretty right on. The movies could not have been better.

It was on the table for Disney, from what I understand, it was she who refused. But, like you said, it worked out.

I will say that since HP is a children's book, I cannot imagine Disney not wanting in incorporate some type of character meet and greet. If not Mickey then perhaps house elves and the main characters. Either way not what she wanted.

Well in fairness, Mary Poppins was being made into a movie not a theme park section. But I see the comparison. But if JK didn't maintain the control she did over the movies, we may have seen an animated version or worse. So her judgment about her property has been pretty right on. The movies could not have been better.

It was on the table for Disney, from what I understand, it was she who refused. But, like you said, it worked out.

I will say that since HP is a children's book, I cannot imagine Disney not wanting in incorporate some type of character meet and greet. If not Mickey then perhaps house elves and the main characters. Either way not what she wanted.

Well, I will say the Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't very good, nor very true to the book. It was one of my favorite books and I was really disappointed in the movie. I mean, the movie stand alone was good, but it strayed much farther from the book than any of the other movies (though I'll admit, it's been a while, so I can't recall the specifics).

Well, I will say the Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't very good, nor very true to the book. It was one of my favorite books and I was really disappointed in the movie. I mean, the movie stand alone was good, but it strayed much farther from the book than any of the other movies (though I'll admit, it's been a while, so I can't recall the specifics).

Yeah, it definitely took some seeing the movies as a stand alone in some instances. There was a lot in the books I would have like to have seen more of and Prisoner is the first to come to mind. It left some definite plot holes for anyone that didn't read the books. Like the Marauders' map and their nicknames. Not enough explaining. Throughout the movies I would have liked to have seen more of the Marauders and their relationships.

I am going to be in a modest minority and say the MNSSHP. I thought there were some cool decorations and yes there is the show and parade; however I'll take the Electrical night parade anytime.

From what I have seen of DL, they seem to have more substantial Halloween decorations, and the environment is more immersive in terms of Halloween. Also (I went the first night), it was as much or more crowded than a standard night in MK. I thought part of the point of these special events was that you can experience the parks with reduced crowds (I could be wrong on that).

Cinderella’s Royal Table. The food was meh. The interactions were so so and the lighting is awful for pictures which is half the point. Definitely one and done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter