Inexpensive point and shoot

Momma of 4

Mouseketeer
We are looking to grab an inexpensive camera to take to the parks everyday, instead of our big DSLR. Ideally I'd like something I can put in my pocket, but still takes decent, not blurry photos. I will use my phone as a last resort, but would rather not. I looked through the board, but the links were all quite old.

I don't know how much you want to spend but my husband got me a Canon PowerShot SX730 last year and WOW! I LOVE this camera! It's not nearly as bulky as a DSLR but it takes really good pictures. I didn't think I'd use the selfie function at all but I have to admit, it's been useful. And the fact that I can upload the pictures directly and it's not very difficult? My only complaint besides the price being slightly more than what most people want to spend on a point and shoot is it is *slightly* bulkier than some of the slimmer P&S models but the picture quality makes it worth it and it still very easily fits in all my purses. Not heavy at all. If you aren't in a rush, watch for deals. We got ours from Costco, it was significantly cheaper than Amazon's price when Costco had them in stock.

There's not too many P&S units nowadays that are standout, especially for a low price. IOW, they all return about the same set of results. Under $300, there aren't really any exceptional choices. Unless you have a brand favorite. Most of the really good units have been discontinued to push buyers to slightly higher priced models, many times with lesser features. I base that mostly on the almost non-existent large-sensor bodies (usually Canon) that were prevalent a few years ago. Then again, this is not to denigrate this segment; most of the cameras under 300 will return acceptable results (some bodies WILL require a little more attention to get the best results tho).

Beyond that, a Sony RX100 or a6000 would proly be your best bet. But you're looking at $375-500 USD for those two. They fairly own that segment. Next level up, around 600, would be a Panasonic LX100 or Canon G1X.

Ok, thanks guys! We actually already have a Sony a6000, but I'm hesitant to bring it into the parks because we also have 4 small kids, including twin infants that can't walk, so they will be carried a lot in lines, etc. I think it'd end up staying in the bag the whole time due to inconvenience. We might just use our phones.
We did just buy a sony dscw800, but it is so slow, and the pictures haven't been great so far. That's what prompted me to write this. I appreciate your feedback!

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I know what you mean about the kids (with 3 myself). Back in the day, I found that a camera that can be operated with one hand and fit in a shirt pocket as the way to go. My recommendation then would be a Canon ELPH 180 or 190. They both have image stabilization - which I think goes directly to your unsharp issue. Somewhere between $100-150 (the 190 is newer). If you buy from B&H, you can order, try it out, and, if you don't like it, just return it. B&H has a VERY understanding and forgiving return policy.

Depending what phone you have -- Many of today's phones are vastly superior to any sub-$1000 P&S. I just got the iPhone Xs, and now I understand why even the entry level dSLR market is struggling so much. It can't compete with a $3000 full frame set up, but it more than delivers compared to any under $500-$1000 camera combination.

Ok, thanks guys! We actually already have a Sony a6000, but I'm hesitant to bring it into the parks because we also have 4 small kids, including twin infants that can't walk, so they will be carried a lot in lines, etc. I think it'd end up staying in the bag the whole time due to inconvenience. We might just use our phones.
We did just buy a sony dscw800, but it is so slow, and the pictures haven't been great so far. That's what prompted me to write this. I appreciate your feedback!

I was specifically thinking of the A6000 when I noted current phones. Honestly, assuming you are using the A6000 as a point and shoot, and assuming you are sticking to jpegs taken with the kit lens -- today's better phones are superior.

all good information, thank you! Our phones aren't the best, moto g6. Good enough, probably, I just don't like relying on it for photos (battery/storage/not as easy to use one handed) I'll look into that Canon as well!

all good information, thank you! Our phones aren't the best, moto g6. Good enough, probably, I just don't like relying on it for photos (battery/storage/not as easy to use one handed) I'll look into that Canon as well!

If I was going to WDW I might bring my mirrorless and a "pancake" lens in my pocket but today's cell phone cameras are pretty good
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I currently have the Sony HX50 as my P&S.
Its a little old now (current model is the HX990 I think) but it has a lot of nice features (including all manual settings that I used to miss when dropping down from DSLR to P&S)
Its small increase in size over the W800 but still small enough to fit in pocket so easily accessible

Current model is a bit pricey but may be some good deals on previous versions that have many of the same features
I picked up the HX50 for sub $200CAD when the HX60 was released

Most P&S cameras today aren't cheap, and offer some unique feature over a phone. I use a Coolpix P7800 for this sort of thing, but you have an A6000 - I'd pick up an f/2.8 pancake prime and use that.

I have a Canon Powershot G7X Mark II that is my go-to theme park camera. It fits in my pocket, but it packs a big punch. It's got a one inch sensor, has amazing image stabilization, shoots RAW, does great in low-light, and all in all is a really amazing little camera. But it sells for around $650. So it's not cheap. But if you're looking for a high end camera in a small size, you can't beat it. I also have a Canon PowerShot SX720 HS that I also bring with me to the parks sometimes. It doesn't shoot RAW, has a much smaller sensor, but I am pretty impressed with the image quality. However, the biggest draw with this camera is the zoom. It has a 24–960mm zoom lens on a tiny camera that can fit in my pocket! It's amazing! (Basically I mostly shoot with my G7X, but when I need more zoom I pull out my SX720.) The price tag is also a much more affordable $260. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend both cameras.

The Sony RX100 series is always ranked among the very best compact cameras for image quality - they use the larger 1" sensor that's much much bigger than the sensors used in most P&S cameras and phones, has a fast lens with moderate optical zoom range, and has various in-camera stacking functions for low light and high ISO specialty shooting that don't require any post processing work. The newest versions are up to RX100 VA (the fifth edition) and they debut new for near $1000...BUT, Sony continues to sell the prior versions all the way back to the original RX100, which goes for $350 or so today. For that money, you get a very capable 1" 20MP sensor, a 28mm to 100mm zoom range (this is the biggest advantage over a phone camera for me), an F1.8 aperture at the wide end, optical stabilization, and many of the 'AI' type features that phones have, including in-camera multiple frame HDR stacking, multi-frame high ISO noise stacking, in-camera panorama stitching, etc. And all comfortably fits in a pocket.

The Sony RX100 series is always ranked among the very best compact cameras for image quality - they use the larger 1" sensor...
This is going a bit OT for an, "Inexpensive," P&S, but Sony does tend to be very good at playing to test charts, but if you look at the real world performance of 1" sensors and what's going on, every single 20 MP 1" sensor is made by Sony and is in the same generation - the Nikon J5, RX100 original through the latest, every Canon, Panasonic, Leica, literally everybody. And the color science has been really nailed down to each specific brand's look, with microlenses and the Bayer filter colors tweaked to match nicely to the lens it's paired with.

In short: if it's a 20 MP 1" sensor, it's much of a muchness in the IQ department and the largest difference is going to come down to trademark color and lens design of each manufacturer. See also: battery life is pretty bad on all of them if it's going to be your main shooter, so be sure to pick up an extra.

So how the heck do you pick? Well, I'd stick within your chosen ILC camera brand if you can (sorry Nikon peeps, you shouldn't get the J5 since it's dead, and the DL never arrived) to keep the menus and basic controls as similar as possible, as well as making the aesthetic look very similar for editing. After that, lens specs to make sure it's fast enough and has enough zoom range, and then size for what you're willing to carry (check out camerasize.com for a nifty if buggy comparison tool).

They're not the camera for me since they're too big for too limited of a zoom range to be truly pocketable, or so large I've got a bag and might as well carry an ILC, but my wife loves shooting with 1" and uses it as her good camera so she doesn't have to worry about the compromises picking up one of mine that are tailored to specific situations. Nikon got it right back in 2011: 1" is a wonderful compromise sensor size, clearly better than a phone, and a perfect jack of all trades but master of none.

Reactions: KVH
I have a Canon Powershot G7X Mark II that is my go-to theme park camera. It fits in my pocket, but it packs a big punch. It's got a one inch sensor, has amazing image stabilization, shoots RAW, does great in low-light, and all in all is a really amazing little camera. But it sells for around $650. So it's not cheap. But if you're looking for a high end camera in a small size, you can't beat it. I also have a Canon PowerShot SX720 HS that I also bring with me to the parks sometimes. It doesn't shoot RAW, has a much smaller sensor, but I am pretty impressed with the image quality. However, the biggest draw with this camera is the zoom. It has a 24–960mm zoom lens on a tiny camera that can fit in my pocket! It's amazing! (Basically I mostly shoot with my G7X, but when I need more zoom I pull out my SX720.) The price tag is also a much more affordable $260. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend both cameras.

How does the SX720 fare in low light situations, fireworks etc...?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!