Insanely short WDW trip (yay or nay?)

toonaspie

Just a poser
I have a $200 flight voucher that expires in mid December (from my fiasco of a failed Disney trip from last December). I'd hate to see that go to waste. If I were to do a cheap round trip flight it would only cost me around an additional $100 average.

In an idea that could only be considered mental, I'm thinking of using it on a WDW vacation for my birthday: party of ONE. My family will think I'm crazy for wanting to go on vacation by myself, but those are the breaks. I went to the parks solo all the time when I did the College Program and I think it would be a less stressful trip. Some anxiety yes, but on the planning side of things I can be far more flexible with just myself. Plus I won't be bothering with Table Service dining so I can eat whatever whenever I want.

Plus the weekend I'm looking to do this one will be my birthday/Halloween. I can't think of a better place to spend my birthday than WDW as my birthdays are often dull and boring.

To best budget such a trip, however, this would have to be a VERY short and very casual trip. The flight selections for my dates are lousy (SAT OCT 28 - TUES OCT 31). I wouldn't get into MCO on day one until 11am at earliest. Factor in Magical Express and that only gives me about 2.5 days to do all four parks to some capacity. I don't intend on doing EVERYTHING but I do want to do all the stuff new to WDW since 2008 (last I was there). Now the one expense I would use for such a trip is the parkhop option. As much as I would kill to attend a MNSSHP, it's just too much money for something I wouldn't be able to do on Halloween as that would be the day I would be flying home. My resort would be All Stars Sports (standard). They have only evening EMHs for the majority of my dates. I estimate that flight, tickets, and hotel total will be around $850. No meal plan yet as I think the QSDP will be more money than it's worth.

Would you do this for that price knowing you wouldn't have much time there? Lend me your thoughts.

It sounds like a rocket-fast trip I would do...certainly many runDisney participants do short trips like that while running races and visiting parks. The one thing that you might have to compromise is on seeing EVERYTHING that's new since 2008. There are a lot of things that have changed since then, and given the time it takes to wait in lines and get from park to park you may come up short on some things.

I have a $200 flight voucher that expires in mid December (from my fiasco of a failed Disney trip from last December). I'd hate to see that go to waste. If I were to do a cheap round trip flight it would only cost me around an additional $100 average.

In an idea that could only be considered mental, I'm thinking of using it on a WDW vacation for my birthday: party of ONE. My family will think I'm crazy for wanting to go on vacation by myself, but those are the breaks. I went to the parks solo all the time when I did the College Program and I think it would be a less stressful trip. Some anxiety yes, but on the planning side of things I can be far more flexible with just myself. Plus I won't be bothering with Table Service dining so I can eat whatever whenever I want.

Plus the weekend I'm looking to do this one will be my birthday/Halloween. I can't think of a better place to spend my birthday than WDW as my birthdays are often dull and boring.

To best budget such a trip, however, this would have to be a VERY short and very casual trip. The flight selections for my dates are lousy (SAT OCT 28 - TUES OCT 31). I wouldn't get into MCO on day one until 11am at earliest. Factor in Magical Express and that only gives me about 2.5 days to do all four parks to some capacity. I don't intend on doing EVERYTHING but I do want to do all the stuff new to WDW since 2008 (last I was there). Now the one expense I would use for such a trip is the parkhop option. As much as I would kill to attend a MNSSHP, it's just too much money for something I wouldn't be able to do on Halloween as that would be the day I would be flying home. My resort would be All Stars Sports (standard). They have only evening EMHs for the majority of my dates. I estimate that flight, tickets, and hotel total will be around $850. No meal plan yet as I think the QSDP will be more money than it's worth.

Would you do this for that price knowing you wouldn't have much time there? Lend me your thoughts.
Yes! Getaway trips can be the most fun sometimes- they tend to have the least pressure because you're not expecting them to be the ultimate trip. Just enjoy getting away from real life.

Agree that you should not get the dining plan. Agree with PP that you should not expect to see everything new since 2008. Let this trip be a fun getaway, not a manic quest. If you park hop, I recommend using Express Transportation if it's still available when you go, to significantly cut down on your transport time between parks.

I'd also reconsider attending MNSSHP if you've never been. It has a great parade & fireworks, & you might be able to get a lot of rides done during it that would be difficult to do at MK otherwise. If you don't attend, be aware that MK will be slammed on the days that do not have the party, so I'd recommend attending MK until 6pm on a party day, then hopping to another park. You can hop back to MK on a different evening just to catch Hapoily Ever After fireworks, if you like.

Definitely make use of those evening EMH- they'll help you get a lot accomplished. Personally, I'd stay at Pop Century rather than an All Star, because Pop is currently getting renovated, and it has dedicated bus service, which will save time.

Lastly, be aware that crowd patterns have changed at WDW in recent years, and October is now a very popular and crowded time to go. Be mentally prepared for that going in.

Happy planning and have fun!

Last edited:

Well, this will be a short thread...as it turns out the voucher money will be used towards another more important trip I have to do instead. :P

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

I am however, gonna try and do the birthday solo trip either in 2018 or 2019 (and make a much longer trip out of it). I just need to start saving up for it now. :snail::cool2:

So, i just wrote a good sized paragraph about how unique an opportunity this was yadda yadda, and then had to edit it all away and leave this instead because I'm cool like that. but if by chance you ever had the chance again, PLEASe do it for me. I will neved ever ever get that opportunity and always wanted to know what itd be like

Last edited:
In December 2015 I arrived at 10am on a Friday and left for the airport at 7am on Sunday so I dont' think its that insane.
I stayed at ASSports, paid OOP for meals, got a ticket to MVMCP for Friday and went to MK from 4pm-10pm, got a 1 day park hopper for Saturday and went to HS in the morning and Epcot in the afternoon/evening, went to bed and got up at about 6am to be waiting for my DME bus at 7am.
This trip was with my sister and niece.
I have also gone solo once and loved it.
You won't hear any negativity from me about going.

So, i just wrote a good sized paragraph about how unique an opportunity this was yadda yadda, and then had to edit it all away and leave this instead because I'm cool like that. but if by chance you ever had the chance again, PLEASe do it for me. I will neved ever ever get that opportunity and always wanted to know what itd be like

LOL sorry about that.

If it makes you feel any better, I am seriously for realz determined to do the birthday trip for 2018 with some adjustments. As much as it would pain me to wait more than a year this gives me time to save up the money needed as well as plan thoroughly.

I'll be in the Solo Travelers forum posting more about this real soon. :wave2:

I did exactly this about 2 years ago. I flew out on Saturday, spent the day of my 30th birthday at EPCOT (Sunday) for the F&W festival, and flew home Monday. No regrets whatsoever.

My spouse had a conference last summer over a three day weekend at Swan&Dolphin. My 5yr old son and I bummed around the outside of the parks one day visiting fun stuff for free, riding boats and the monorail. The other two days we used half-day tickets (only available for conference guests at S&D) and hit Epcot and MK. Definitely did not try to race to see everything, but we strolled (especially important to do in mid-July heat) and just hit a few high points, saw fireworks, and enjoyed the Disney bubble. By taking a laid back approach, we had a fine, albeit short, time.

Very different experience than spending a week at WDW, but we'd do it again if the chance arose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter