International a Gateway to close 11/27 to 12/17?

I'm not trying to bring up a sore subject, just helping a friend put finishing touches on her plan for their December trip (and I guess our December trip also!)

Has any OFFICIAL announcement been made by Disney about the Epcot dock of the Friendship Boats being closed?

They have a dining reservation at Cape May Cafe and I have her leaving through IG and taking a boat to the Beach and Yacht Club dock. If the Epcot dock is closed I want to update the transportation portion of her documents.

I'm leaning towards it being open as Disney has not made an official statement but I understand that can change at any time.

I'm not trying to bring up a sore subject, just helping a friend put finishing touches on her plan for their December trip (and I guess our December trip also!)

Has any OFFICIAL announcement been made by Disney about the Epcot dock of the Friendship Boats being closed?

They have a dining reservation at Cape May Cafe and I have her leaving through IG and taking a boat to the Beach and Yacht Club dock. If the Epcot dock is closed I want to update the transportation portion of her documents.

I'm leaning towards it being open as Disney has not made an official statement but I understand that can change at any time.

I have not yet received any "official" communication from Disney in writing for impacted boat service for my upcoming YC reservation.

However, I believe it is happening and Disney is just dragging its feet OR not notifying guests because it is transportation and a bus will replace it unlike other notifications I have received like a QS being shutdown or construction at the actual resort.

ETA: Maybe put take boat if running. If not, walk to YC via IG or get bus from front of Epcot to be safe?

It's only a five minute walk from the IG to the BC and Cape May. It's about a 5-7 minute walk from the boat dock at the YC (which serves both YC and BC) to the BC and Cape May. So, even if the FriendShip boats are operating to/from the IG, it's probably quicker just to walk to the BC.

Also, if the boats are running from EPCOT, there could be up to a 15 minute wait for a boat.

It's only a five minute walk from the IG to the BC and Cape May. It's about a 5-7 minute walk from the boat dock at the YC (which serves both YC and BC) to the BC and Cape May. So, even if the FriendShip boats are operating to/from the IG, it's probably quicker just to walk to the BC.

Also, if the boats are running from EPCOT, there could be up to a 15 minute wait for a boat.

Not to mention that the boat goes from the IG to BW first, then to Y&B, so once on the boat it’s at least 10 minutes to the YC dock followed by the walk to BC. So it truly is faster to walk from IG to BC!

Not to mention that the boat goes from the IG to BW first, then to Y&B, so once on the boat it’s at least 10 minutes to the YC dock followed by the walk to BC. So it truly is faster to walk from IG to BC!
You are quite correct but by the time of day that we're going we're often 20,000+ steps into our Epcot day so a chance to sit down on a boat and rest a bit (regardless of how short) is often a welcome relief to my feet. :)

But still good to know that the walk to BC from IG is probably quicker and possibly not many more steps than taking the boat!

You are quite correct but by the time of day that we're going we're often 20,000+ steps into our Epcot day so a chance to sit down on a boat and rest a bit (regardless of how short) is often a welcome relief to my feet. :)

But still good to know that the walk to BC from IG is probably quicker and possibly not many more steps than taking the boat!

Maybe @Robo has a map for that?

Maybe it's my own quirkiness, but it takes less effort for me to walk five minutes than stand for ten.

But remember boats do have people standing too. You may wait for a boat and still be standing.

But remember boats do have people standing too. You may wait for a boat and still be standing.
While I don't disagree, I will say we've ridden the Friendship Boats 20+ times and never had to stand. While it can happen I don't believe it's common unless traveling close to park open and close, at least from my experience.

While I don't disagree, I will say we've ridden the Friendship Boats 20+ times and never had to stand. While it can happen I don't believe it's common unless traveling close to park open and close, at least from my experience.
Wasn’t park close in early November and I had to stand.

Wasn’t park close in early November and I had to stand.
Since TSL opened, the boats have been busier than ever. I've also been on FriendShip boats with standing room, only; there were times when they would not accept any more standing pax, and I had to wait for the next boat.
Due to greater demand, they added an extra boat that was available, so that the boats were changed to 4x per hour, instead of 3. That doesn't mean that the extra demand was met with the additional boat, though.

Last edited:
Since TSL opened, the boats have been busier than ever. I've also been on FriendShip baots with standing room, only; there were times when they would not accept any more standing pax, and I had to wait for the next boat.
Due to greater demand, they added an extra boat that was available, so that the boats were changed to 4x per hour, instead of 3. That doesn't mean that the extra demand was met with the additional boat, though.
This makes sense. I haven't ridden the Friendship boats since Toy Storyland opened.

Since TSL opened, the boats have been busier than ever. I've also been on FriendShip boats with standing room, only; there were times when they would not accept any more standing pax, and I had to wait for the next boat.

Echoing this. Boats from HS were PACKED in late October. Left people on the dock each time. I think it’s a combo of TSL drawing people and the extended walk/detour through construction zone being miserable - particularly in the heat. Walk might be more tolerable in Dec.

Echoing this. Boats from HS were PACKED in late October. Left people on the dock each time. I think it’s a combo of TSL drawing people and the extended walk/detour through construction zone being miserable - particularly in the heat. Walk might be more tolerable in Dec.
I'm just hoping that with the closure, it will mean I can get onto a DHS boat easier. I'll be coming from the Boardwalk most times, which will be the "first" stop on the route and I figure most people going from Epcot will walk down to the BC/YC dock.

Very latest FriendShip boat update - now scheduled to resume service at EPCOT Dec 8 or 9.
This is great news! Where is this published?

Blog Mickey is still saying ‘late December’ and I will say he is a resource I normally find to provide accurate information.

This is great news! Where is this published?

Blog Mickey is still saying ‘late December’ and I will say he is a resource I normally find to provide accurate information.
WDWMagic is saying this. It really shouldn't take into late December. The DHS-CBR line was done in days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts