International a Gateway to close 11/27 to 12/17?

Looks like the boats will remain open but it may have down times during the day to accommodate work.
This is why I’m guessing Disney has never made an official announcement as it sounds from your comment that they will not actually be closed for an extended period of time, just intermittently.

Last edited:
Staying at the Boardwalk now. Received a paper in our room stating Friendship Boat service to Epcot would be unavailable starting 11/28. Boats have still been running to Epcot everyday though, including today (11/30).

Also, taking the boat to Hollywood Studios right now and it’s standing room only after picking up at the Yacht and Beach Club.

That doesn't have anything to do with the closing of the boats to Epcot though.

And luckily you have the choice to walk. :)

That doesn't have anything to do with the closing of the boats to Epcot though.

And luckily you have the choice to walk. :)

I obviously realize that. I only posted it because there was conversation a few posts back about standing room only.

The Friendship Boat captains now say that the boats to Epcot will close starting tonight (11/30) at 9:30pm.

I obviously realize that. I only posted it because there was conversation a few posts back about standing room only.

The Friendship Boat captains now say that the boats to Epcot will close starting tonight (11/30) at 9:30pm.

Okay, enjoy your day! :)

They finally posted an "official" announcement regarding the disruption of FriendShip boat service to EPCOT. It looks like Disney was waiting until the temporary change was actually activated, unti a statement was issued.

However, I wonder if the duration until late December is accurate or just playing it safe.
That’s just playing it safe.

I still would have liked a Disney Destinations e-mail or USPS notification as a YC resort guest checking-in during the impacted times.
At least it's just a short distance to travel between EP and YC/BC either by foot or ECV. This will impact the Swan/Dolphin in a greater way, due to the longer distance.

BTW, the Swan/Dolphin site has had a notice posted about the service disruption for quite awhile, so, it does make you wonder why Disney could not have done the same.

Last edited:
As always things are constantly changing. If your link contained information about the Friendship Boats closing they must have since removed it as there is nothing listed on that link at all, at least when I view the link with my phone.
Must be the mobile version. The desktop version shows the closure listed at the top.

As always things are constantly changing. If your link contained information about the Friendship Boats closing they must have since removed it as there is nothing listed on that link at all, at least when I view the link with my phone.

When I open that link on my iPhone, this is the first thing I see - strange that it doesn’t come up for you! It’s in orange bold font.

FriendShip boat service to Epcot will be suspended at 9:30 PM each night until late December 2018. This service connects Epcot with the following Disney Resort hotels:
  • Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
  • Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
  • Disney’s Beach Club Resort
  • Disney’s Beach Club Villas
  • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
  • Walt Disney World Swan Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
Bus transportation to Epcot and the pedestrian walkway across the bridge will remain available during this downtime.

At least it's just a short distance to travel between EP and YC/BC either by foot or ECV. This will impact the Swan/Dolphin in a greater way, due to the longer distance.

BTW, the Swan/Dolphin site has had a notice posted about the service disruption for quite awhile, so, it does make you wonder why Disney could not have done the same.

Good point. I actually always walk it too so my main concern was the IG and I was informed this would be fine after reaching out to the YC/BC GM during my October stay. I think its just the fact like you mentioned Swan and Dolphin has been alerting guests for weeks and Disney has been hush hush when it clearly knew. I just wish as a loyal Disney guest we would be privy to this information prior to arrival, but I guess not. I am sure a lot of people will be surprised when checking-in since a fraction are on these boards/websites.

One positive is no huge drop-off of people from time-to-time at IG. Just foot traffic through security.

This appears to be one of those situations where they have updated the US website but have forgotten to update some of the international websites. Just checked both my phone and online and neither are showing the announcement others are seeing. It happens, it's just something we as International visitors need to keep in mind in that our websites are not always kept in sync with the US website.

upload_2018-11-30_15-18-30.png

When I change over to the US website I can see what others are talking about.

upload_2018-11-30_15-17-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-30_15-13-17.png
    upload_2018-11-30_15-13-17.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 1
This appears to be one of those situations where they have updated the US website but have forgotten to update some of the international websites. Just checked both my phone and online and neither are showing the announcement others are seeing. It happens, it's just something we as International visitors need to keep in mind in that our websites are not always kept in sync with the US website.

View attachment 367610

When I change over to the US website I can see what others are talking about.

View attachment 367609

Wow, that’s sad!

I know that’s not a rare occurrence, but maybe worth emailing Guest Satisfaction to notify of the discrepancy. Actually, notify them because it’s not a rare occurrence!

The boat to and from Epcot is open as of 11/30 at 6pm - one of the captain's said they'll be closing earlier at night (last boat 9:30) instead of closing all day - who knows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!