Inviting service member for Christmas dinner? Do they still do that?

Cindyluwho

<font color=red>I luv my chickens!<br><font color=
I'm hoping you all will know the answer to this one! Up until a couple of years ago they used to advertise on the radio, before the holidays that you could invite a service member to your home for holiday dinner. Do you know if it's still possible to do that? We're in the Seattle area and have an extra spot at our table. We have a family dinner of about 25 people, but there's always room for one or two more. I'm sure there's plenty of folks on the base who are far away from their families. Would I just call the base? Let me know if you have any info on this! Thanks so much for the help :)

Most bases have something called a Family Support Center (at least thats what the AF calls it) You can look up AF bases at www.af.mil They have links to all base websites...might give you the # for family support. Army is www.army.mil

I looked up McChord, which I think is near you and the base operator is (253) 982- You could ask them to connect you to Family Support

From experience...please ask a female soldier. So many of us got left out when I was active duty...either people don't remember us or don't want us around their husbands and family off duty. It really hurt...every year for 4 years!

Oh, I'm sorry Meezers, that just plain sucks. I guess so many folks think of active duty soldiers as men. We gals keep trying but.....
anyway, we were thinking about bringin a guy and a gal to dinner. Thanks so much for the input.

If you ever get the chance, please share the holidays with a soldier. For many of them this is their first holiday away from family. We have on numerous occasions either through a formal program or through fellow service men and women shared our holidays and it warms my heart how grateful they were. I'll never forget the 24 yr old flight student (whom we had never met) who made candied yams to bring to Christmas. They were the worst candied yams ever, but he was so proud. And something I never expected from him. He put more into those yams to show his appreciation.

One suggestion though....if you are having a gathering of a lot of people who know each other, invite 2 or more service persons. It is less awkward for them and they have something in common with someone else. You don't want them to feel like they are intruding.

Thanks to everyone who show their support.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter