Is Disney Springs worth it?

mastermind307

DIS Veteran
One of the things I wanted to do on our next trip was to spend some time at Disney Springs. But after reading more about it, I'm not so sure anymore. It is really just like an outdoor mall? Are there mostly stores you can find anywhere? We're really not interested in shopping or the musical entertainment. Nor will we want to bowl or see a movie. And the only place DD wants to eat is at the Ghirardelli ice cream shope to get a brownie sundae. Should we just skip Disney Springs?

If your not interested in shopping or the entertainment, than you may want to pass. However, we don't really shop around either but we do like to spend two or three hours there each trip just to walk around. We like to take in the atmosphere for a few hours, snack around or eat a meal in one of the many restaurants and then leave. There are some good places to eat or snack. After 2 or 3 hours we are done. We're not big shoppers. For us, it would be no big deal if we didn't go.

Last edited:
One of the things I wanted to do on our next trip was to spend some time at Disney Springs. But after reading more about it, I'm not so sure anymore. It is really just like an outdoor mall? Are there mostly stores you can find anywhere? We're really not interested in shopping or the musical entertainment. Nor will we want to bowl or see a movie. And the only place DD wants to eat is at the Ghirardelli ice cream shope to get a brownie sundae. Should we just skip Disney Springs?
We used to LOVE Pleasure Island. We really enjoyed the comedy club and the various themed night clubs. It’s gone now. When we have gone to Downtown Disney, we loved the World of Disney store. Now that we no longer buy Disney toys, it’s not a store for us. We end up wandering aimlessly window shopping and watching street performers. IMHO, it’s not very exciting.

There’s awesome stores in the parks and deluxe resorts. For me, if I’m not in the parks, I will be enjoying my resort or the spa. For me, Disney Springs doesn’t have anything special worth giving up a day of my vacation.

The best thing about DS are the restaurants. Also, the general ambiance is nice, IMHO.

As for shopping, I don't go there to shop. I might go in the big Disney store, but thats it.

The last two times we have stopped at Disney Springs (March 2017 daytime, March 2018 evening), it has been super crowded and that has been a big turn off for me. The restaurants are pretty neat but generally I find the stores too expensive for my budget. Combine the crowds and the cost and it just isn't my favorite place to go.

I very much dislike shopping, and avoided it last trip (just last week). I went a year ago, as well as 2 years ago, and was totally bored.

To me, it is a large outdoor shopping mall with a lot of restaurants.

I liked it back in the day when it was Pleasure Island! I went a couple of times, and it was very cute, like Disney for grown-ups.

I won't ever go back again.

If you aren't into shopping, I would avoid it. We used to go at the end of our trips, and I hated it. Now we go on Day Zero, and I don't mind it as much. We pretty much just walk around and window shop and get the free chocolate sample at Ghirardelli's.

The last time we were there, my hubby and my son went to the Void (Star Wars...virtual reality). They enjoyed it. That might be something you would like to experience...

I agree with that Disney Springs restaurants are really good. Love Homecoming and the Boathouse. I also like Trend-D, the Coca-cola store and the Star Wars and marvel offerings. If you are looking for some good Disney Souvenirs it's a good place to go.

We like to get ice cream at Ghirardellis, shop at the world of Disney for our grandkids, go to the Christmas store and cooking store, window shop and maybe see a movie or have dinner. We live in a smaller town so we don’t have any of the shops or restaurants in our town.

I tried to talk DD out of going to Disney Springs just to eat at the Ghirardellis shop, but she's insistent on going there so she can take a picture of the brownie sundae and send it to her dad, rubbing it in that she gets one and he doesn't. I think we'll go there in the afternoon when we're done at one of the parks. Maybe spend an hour or 2 and then be done.

I enjoyed Disney Springs, it was a nice little curtain-raiser for the Disney experience on our arrival day. We had a fun meal at T-Rex, bought our ears from the Disney gift shop and had a nice walk around. I’m not really interested in shopping on vacation, particularly at full-price, but some of the stores were nice to look around.

Worth a look, I’d say

I kinda like DS, and I'm not much of a shopper. But I love Blaze Pizza, enjoy cruising through the Disney Store, and it's fun just to walk around. The place is very pretty. The last couple of times I've been to WDW, I've stayed at SSR, so DS is a fun walk from there.

I know DS has undergone a lot of changes in the past few years and I'm also not a big shopper, but the shopping I do would be preferred to be outside of park time anyhow. I've even been known to stop in at the customer service center here so I don't have to use park time for that either. I don't go every trip, but when I do I like to hit the Lego Store for the photo ops alone. There was also another photo op set up with a snowy Christmas scene that you could get your Christmas card photo taken any time of year. When the kids were little I let them spend time playing on the water splash pads. This trip (if we go, but we are staying in DSAR resort, so likely) I want to hit the 2 stores that sell tea and the dress shop (if even to look and get inspired). I think just sticking with things you naturally like and not trying to make every part something fantastical for you is fine, just pick and choose. I'm not a DS fanatic and would be just fine taking a trip and not stepping foot on it, but if I do I plan to enjoy the parts I like.

I love DS just for the food! But of course you got the World of Disney store as well. But honestly, yeah it's a huge and pretty outdoor mall. So sometimes I visit it, most of the time I don't.

We (husband and myself) went for a few hours in January. Like others have said, the restaurant choices are the biggest draw as well as the ambiance on a nice day. We live near Chicago so there probably isn't a store at DS that we don't have access to at home and we don't shop much on vacation. When we go in May with adult kids and young grandkids, we won't go with the little ones since we are using Disney transportation (no rental cars) and it's too much travel time to get kids there by bus...and there is nothing they'd enjoy there that would be better than park or resort time. Yes, they would like the big Disney store but we'll hit up Mouse Gear in Epcot and they'll think that's great. You know your daughter best but there are Ghirardelli stores all over the country so would she be satisfied with getting some speciality ice cream in one of the parks or at a resort? Ample Hills at BWI looks really good!

We always come a day or two early before we check into our Disney resort, this trip we come in late 2 nights early so we can sleep in and go to Disney Springs the next morning, shop and have lunch at Homecoming and dessert at Amorettes, then go back to the Dolphin and laze around the pools and have dinner at Via Napoli in Ecpot.
For us its a perfect slow start to our Disney vacations going to Disney Springs, the shops and the music... There are a few shops you wont see anywhere else like TrenD , Cherry Tree Lane and a few more...If you love Disney shops its a must do...Plus they have several must do restaurants here as well...

We always include DS on a non park day.. usually we do the DVC presentation to get the free gift card and fast passes then have the DVC shuttle drop us off at DS.. we walk around hit a few of the stores (World of Disney.. Lego..Christmas shop) then try to find a couple of food places we have never tried.. we were there in December and walked through the Christmas tree trail and kids got to see Santa.. it is a nice change of pace for a few hours but I can also see why some people avoid going

I absolutely love DS. There are wonderful restaurants and shops. I especially like to bar hop. Since 'The Edison' and 'The Hideaway' has open it is a perfect afternoon to spend there. :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!