Is free over night parking still a thing with disabled parking permit?

phi2012

Mouseketeer
As the tile suggests, wondering if disabled parking is still free at the resorts overnight with a disabled parking permit.
Only the uk website has recently changed to say 'disabled spaces are available ' from 'complementary disabled spaces with parking permit'. And when I emailed disney about it, they said I needed to contact the disney hotels check in desk myself to find out 'the disabled parking fee'.
Can anyone confirm if parking is still free or not. As it may change our options for where to stay on our next holiday if we can't keep a car onsite.
Thanks 👍

As the tile suggests, wondering if disabled parking is still free at the resorts overnight with a disabled parking permit.
Only the uk website has recently changed to say 'disabled spaces are available ' from 'complementary disabled spaces with parking permit'. And when I emailed disney about it, they said I needed to contact the disney hotels check in desk myself to find out 'the disabled parking fee'.
Can anyone confirm if parking is still free or not. As it may change our options for where to stay on our next holiday if we can't keep a car onsite.
Thanks 👍

Was just there earlier this month, and can confirm that parking with a valid handicap permit/tag is still not being charged.

At the Deluxe Resorts, Valet parking for those with a valid handicap permit/tag is also still not charged, however you should tip when the valet takes your car, and returns it to you both. We usually tip at least $5 each time.

Is this true at the swan and dolphin? I just called them And the said they charge.

Yes, we just took our hang tag to the check-in desk so they could note it on our reservation so we wouldn't be charged. Then one of us went back to the car to put it back on the rearview mirrow. Very quick and easy. Wish I had known about this before our November trip but ya live and learn.

We have handicapped license plates, not a hang tag. Any idea what to do in that scenario?

We have handicapped license plates, not a hang tag. Any idea what to do in that scenario?

Bring in your paperwork that goes with your handicap plate. Pretty sure it is technically required to check-in as a placard doesn’t have the holder’s name on it to match it to the name on the reservation. Everyone should have the paperwork in their glovebox because plates and placards aren’t valid unless accompanied by that paper to prove the holder is being transported to make use of that space.

Bring in your paperwork that goes with your handicap plate. Pretty sure it is technically required to check-in as a placard doesn’t have the holder’s name on it to match it to the name on the reservation. Everyone should have the paperwork in their glovebox because plates and placards aren’t valid unless accompanied by that paper to prove the holder is being transported to make use of that space.
Huh, I've never heard that. I've had my current plates for 15 years, and I definitely don't have any paperwork other than the vehicle registration (unless that's what you mean.) Guess I'll have to hope a pic plus seeing me in my PWC will be enough.

Huh, I've never heard that. I've had my current plates for 15 years, and I definitely don't have any paperwork other than the vehicle registration (unless that's what you mean.) Guess I'll have to hope a pic plus seeing me in my PWC will be enough.

It probably varies by state. My state’s paperwork has the requirement to carry it printed on it. You might not have extra paperwork if you are the vehicle’s owner and the handicap plate is for you since it is probably clear on the registration. Disney likely won’t make a fuss about not having all the required paperwork but it can be risky and a hefty fine doing that outside of the Disney bubble. I do see Disney cracking down on requiring proper proof if too many people are cheating the system and there is not enough handicap parking.

Louisiana and Arkansas both issue a card with the picture of the person that the tag was issued to. I carry it with me. I must be present on the trip for the tag to be valid.

What you get varies state to state.
In Minnesota, our daughter’s hangtag has only an ID number and some phone numbers that could be used to verify it belongs to her.
I don’t know if this is still the case, but at least at one point, you could only get handicapped plates if the disabled person owned the vehicle or was a minor Whose parents/guardians owned the vehicle.

For another example, in Oklahoma, you get a blue & white plastic hangtag with the universal symbol, and a serialized number in large font. On one edge of the card the 12 months of the year are printed, and on the other edge of the card there is a range of 10 years printed. There is a hole punch is used to designate the expiration month on one edge by punching through it, and the expiration year on the other edge by punching through that.

But no photo/ID required to use it, and no name is printed on the placard. The only time we have ever been "challenged" about using it is at the State Fair, where the local county Sheriff's office is in charge of parking, and when you pull into the HA parking area they will ask you if the person it is registered to is in the car.

If you use the online check in I assume then you will have to go to the front desk during your stay with your placard and proof of identification papers with whatever your state or country issues with it to delete any charges.

If you use the online check in I assume then you will have to go to the front desk during your stay with your placard and proof of identification papers with whatever your state or country issues with it to delete any charges.

No, you just need your cars make & model (example: make = Ford model = Taurus), license plate number & state it was issued from, and you need to be able to describe approximately where you parked. As long as your license plate, placard and/or hangtag is visible, (and assuming that it isn't expired) you shouldn't be charged, but if you are - then you just need to work with the Front Desk. No need to trek all the way out to the car to get the hangtag or placard.

I have found that even doing online check-in, we just find a minute or two during our first 24 hours to pop by the desk and make sure that they know that my car is parked in a handicapped spot, and this is the tag number and description of the car, and then we double-check the folio for any parking charges last thing before we check out and leave.

Hi y’all,

my family and I use my handicap placard for free valet parking at the resorts and is able to get to the handicap parking at the parks with no pay if you are staying at one of the parks resorts if shown magic band.
We had no problem with any cast members with telling them about my cerebral palsy and they are usually okay with it all.

I never had any problems with this or needed to show ID for any reason at the parks. Maybe some cast members are rude and inconsiderate to be polite?

Right. Parking at the parks is free for resort guests.

Resort parking incurs a fee for resrt guests.

Disney has chosen to exempt guests with handicap placards or plates from the resort parking fee.

Disney has also opted to allow these guests no-charge Valet Parking.

Please always tip the Valet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!