• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it just me or does anyone else think FW needs a food court

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
I recently filled out a survey for WDW from our last trip. I mentioned the one thing they really needed to add was another food option other than buffet. You can only eat so many buffet meals. I don't like to cook on vacation. Problem is, everytime we go to FW we end up wanting to come back to the RV for a rest. It would be wonderful to be able to come back and grab a sandwich to take back to the campsite with us for a relaxing lunch. I love the pizza, but 1 pizza a week kinda maxes me out. I always end up regretting not bringing food with us. I'd rather not have to resort to that, too lazy on vacation. :) I mentioned that if they're not planning a food court, it would be nice if they would at the very least offer deli sandwiches at Trails End or the stores for take-out. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Of course, I also had to through in my disappointment in the pools. :) IMHO, they're just not up to WDW standards. There's too many great theming opportunities here to not take advantage of them.

I think a food court type place would be great! The Meadows Trading Post used to have a deli, where they would makes sandwiches, etc. but I don't think they do that anymore.

I'm sorry I have to disagree here. I fear that adding anymore buildings on the grounds risks disrupting the atmosphere of FW. These are just my opinion. I personaly feel FW has the correct balance of facilities to campsites, and maybe too many cabins already. I do believe that your suggestion can be accomodated by a 'link up' with the WL resort and (RC), which has been rumored. But I would not want any new ground breaking in the middle of FW. Frankly, after looking at Pop Century, the Flying Carpets, and Hester and Chester's eye sore in AK, I don't trust Disney to build anything nice anymore. maybe things will change for the better after Eisner leaves.

Again, just my opinions (or fears), please don't flame me.

I agree with you! I don't think they should build another building either, but it would be nice if they could add in food-court type choices in one of the existing buildings. Maybe behind Crockett's Tavern, where they have a game room now - or an addition to one of the trading posts? Or, as you suggest, build it in with the RC thing.....

The RC idea, sounds like a great idea. We've never been there. By the time we bought our RV and were able to make our 1st trip to FW, they had closed it for the season. Well, we all know how long that season has become. :( I feel sure there has to be empty space in there. Every water park I've ever been to has empty space. Maybe they could put it at the entrance. This way, it could be accessed w/o having to enter RC. That is, if we're ever allowed to enter RC again. There also seems to be quite a bit of available space in the Meadows Trading Post area. For the time being, an "a la carte" menu at Trails End shouldn't be that difficult to add. I don't know about being able to put it in the arcade behind Crockett's Tavern. That place is tiny. IMHO, the arcades at FW are too sparse anyway. We sometimes hotel hop in order to allow our DS to enjoy their arcades. I personally would like to see them improve there arcades. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a campground, but this is WDW after all and I don't feel the facilities are adequate for a vacation destination. The only other campgrounds we go to are County and State Parks or those that are ocean front. We just don't care for that camping in a parking lot feeling. On the SP trips we are looking for the rustic, natural Florida feeling and I go expecting to cook all our meals. When we go to WDW or to the beach, I go to be pampered and entertained.

As much as we love the Trails end there is a limit to the amount of all you can eat buffets you can enjoy and still have pants to wear on the trip home. :) The food court idea would fit nicely with the rumored RC and FW tie in. The deli is also a great idea and could probably be incorporated into existing facilities.
An upgraded and remodeled arcade would be nice also.

I would love to see a food court at Ft. Wilderness, or at least some type of quick service meal place, or even a bagel and muffin cart for a quick breakfast!!!

That, and the transportation, are the only downers to Ft. Wilderness

I would love to see a food court at Ft. Wilderness, or at least some type of quick service meal place, or even a bagel and muffin cart for a quick breakfast!!!

I'd like to see FW either put the Deli's back in the trading posts or maybe open a lite eatery over at the Meadows Pool. They could expand and open the Snack bar there year round instead of it being a seasonal thing.

I agree! I made that same suggestion after our last trip on the follow up survey. Another problem I had with the lack of counter service was that you couldn't refill your mugs at certain times of the day, whereas the resort food courts were open much earlier and stay open all day. (not to mention that they charge more for the mugs there than at the resorts?) It would be nice if they could offer a small take out menu in addition to the buffet.

Don't get me wrong here! We love FW and intend to return for two weeks next Feb! but sometimes it feels like you get a little less for your buck as they don't offer all the amenities to the campers (how could they!) and we still pay a lot to stay there.
No themed pool areas and fewer restaurant choices. That said, we do get peacocks, campfires, movies and a really wonderful atmosphere. Still seems like they could do a little better here without too much effort!

I would love some type of food court at FW. It does seem that we campers get short changed a lot at WDW. I also agree that there are more than enough cabins taking up space at the campground.

I agree with all of you! My family and I would like to see improved arcades,more food options and a better pool,that way we would not have to hotel hop to use other pools.
We stay on average 14 nights, we dont always want to cook but dont want to leave the campground to eat either.
My brothers also dont like having to go to the hotels to play games when they get a little bored.
So to see some of these things improved would be great!

I would go for the resurgence of the deli, or an expanded take-out, but I would nix the food court idea. Food courts are loud and obnoxious, and wouldn't fit into the quiet, relaxing atmosphere of Fort Wilderness. Personally, if I don't feel like cooking, it's tuna sandwiches and fruit at the picnic table for us!

I guess it would be nice to have the option to get something at a food court as long as it was a low key kind of place. However, if it has typical Disney prices I would rather fix something at camp. Food and drinks are things you can really save money on by getting off property. Do you really want to spend $84 for a case of regular beer? We always take a great selection of deli meats, cheeses, and fixings so fixing a great sandwich on a hoagie bun in no problem. For us a big part of camping is cooking. It just does not seem to be as much a chore when we camp as when you are at home. With a little planing and help from everyone meals are a breeze. We are fortunate to live close by and can go often so we don't feel so rushed to get meals out of the way so we can be off to the next Disney adventure. I would much rather Disney spend the money on upgrades to the pools and River Country or a swimming area in Bay Lake. I would also like to see a fishing pier.

Here is my 2cents. No food court. If you put in a food court then it won't be fort wilderness. It will be just like all the other resorts.

I personally don't care if it's a food court, take-out or a deli at the trading posts, I just think FW needs another option other than buffet or cook it yourself.

As for a food court. Do you think it would be as chaotic? I've been to some of the resort food courts, so I know how loud they can get. But camping tends to relax people, therefore I think the atmosphere anywhere in FW would be more laid back than at the resorts. Our family is a prime example. When we used to stay at the resorts, we used our room only to sleep. Since we bought our RV, we find ourselves spending more time relaxing around the campground than in the parks. If anything, this makes me want other food options more. When we stayed at the resort hotels, we did most of our eating in the parks.

CruellaDuVille,
I realize it is camping, but since we made the sizeable investment in our RV, all our vacations are camping. I know that was our choice and one we have definitely not regretted. That doesn't mean I don't like to be pampered on vacation, the same as the guests in the resort hotels. I cook everyday at home and I actually enjoy cooking, but ham and cheese, etc.. everyday just doesn't appeal to me personally. As I mentioned earlier, I expect to cook at state parks, but not at WDW. JMO :)

Another thought: With the extra money they make on the food, they could afford much nicer pools and arcades. ;)

I don't think there should be an actual food court, but a deli at the main pool trading post (Meadows?) & also a little snack bar at the smaller pool instead of just candy vending machines would be nice, although they aren't necessary.

We always request a loop close to the small pool & have never had an issue w/ returning to our cabin to grab a sandwich or snack, but an order of nachos or something might be a welcome treat occassionally!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter