Is it just me?

mdelano4

DIS Veteran
In all my travels to the World, I rarely complain about the bus service. I realize this is a very busy time (President's weekend) , but I can honestly say I have never waited for buses as long as this trip. The average wait for a bus from/to any of the parks had to be nearly 30 minutes. We stayed at SSR, where we have stayed several times before. Is this a new normal?

As if the wait times weren't bad enough, one trip back to the resort was so poorly driven that we got off two stops early and walked. There was so much swerving and jamming on the brakes that I was getting seasick.

Better luck next time, I hope.

We have found the buses have always been hit or miss. We've walked up just as one was pulling out so many times our trip last month it became a joke for us. Because they have to travel the normal roads, they have to contend with traffic just like every other driver so if it's a busy time, traffic is going to be worse and wait times are going to be higher. Just a fact of life. I can imagine, also, a those resorts with multiple stops it would depend on which stop you were at and how fast or slow the boarding/unboarding was at the previous stops.

This is exactly why we’ve given up on buses. If we approach a bus stop and a bus is there, we get on. If not we use Lyft or a Minnie Van.

My vacation time is valuable. I can’t see wasting 30 minutes each day (or multiple times a day) waiting for a bus.

We were there last week and the bus system was definitely hit or miss. We drove two days and used the bus system two days. I prefer to let someone else do the driving when on vacation. I try to go with the flow and take it all in.

I’ve hated the bus system for those reasons since our first trip. Which was over 9 years ago. On that first trip my my aunt and then husband were stranded at HS for way over an hour (I am underestimating because I don’t remember specifics now) trying to get back to OKW. Bus after bus for not-OKW came by. Finally a driver going to SSR, who had seen them while making 3 rounds of HS to SSR and back stopped and picked up the line of people for OKW. Did SSR then went to OKW. A couple that would have been early to a late reservation at Olivia’s missed it entirely as the restaurant was fully closed by the time they got back.

And that was our *first* trip.

There are reasons why we and now I rent cars for most trips.

I’m not gonna lie. We now stay on the monorail loop, and one of the main reasons is to minimize using the bus. Last time we skipped AK and DHS, so it was all monorail and boats. I loved every minute.

Last trip we stayed at BLT and took a bus to Disney springs. Well let's just say it was packed to full with standing room even full. This bus driver was practicing for the indie 500. I nearly got my shoulders ripped out if the sockets. Many people almost fell over and legit trying to tell the bus driver to calm down with the turns. Never in my life have I been so scared 😭. Yes I have been standing room only on the buses many times this was just insane tho.

We are just back from 8 days at AKL and the bus system was so frustrating! This was my 8th trip so I am very familiar with what to expect and this trip did not come close to meeting expectations. Most times, the wait was 30+ mins, most times the app did not show an expected wait time and neither did the sign at the bus stop.

Then after waiting and waiting and no indication a bus was coming, one would appear without ever showing up on the sign :sad2:

One morning while waiting for a DHS bus to get to RoTR, 5 AKL busses came and went. That park wasn't even open! That morning, the bus took 50 mins to arrive. It seems maybe there is a dispatching issue?

Bus service was terrible Thanksgiving week. One hour wait to get a bus from AKL to Pop while multiple ones showed up for every other resort. Terrible.

We are recently back from a trip Feb 8-13. We had a mostly good experience with the buses. Almost every one on the buses we were on got a seat too, so they weren't very crowded.
The only time we had an issue with the bus is in the middle of the day on a Tuesday we were trying to go from AK to HS. When we arrived at the bus queue there were already a few parties ahead of us, and then we waited at least 30 minutes. Across the way, we could see several buses to Beach club and Boardwalk coming and going; we were just about to head over there and walk from the one of those resorts, when finally a bus for HS showed up.

We go late summer and stay at the values, so the busses are usually packed at key times. I have a balance issue so I hold on for dear life when I have to stand on a packed bus. This year we're paying about 600 over the AS resorts to stay at POP and use the Skyliner. I call it my "poor man's monorail" lol and looking forward to every non bus minute!

We noticed that in October that the buses seemed to be less consistant.
AT BWV, we might see 3 MK buses to 1 AK.
Leaving MK, we waited over 30 minutes for a bus and those in front of us had been there longer.
We are staying at Kidani in April and we will see if the bus service is any better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter