Is it ok to take tea bags in my checked luggage?

Spike101

Affable gay geek
I kinda thinking it must be okay but just need to be sure, and if so do they have to be declared on the customs form, and in a sealed box/packet?

Spike.

I kinda thinking it must be okay but just need to be sure, and if so do they have to be declared on the customs form, and in a sealed box/packet?

Spike.
Nope all fine, no need to declare (if we're talking normal tea's and nothing crazy) :)

"As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee, fish, tea, and baby formula are admissible."

Here's the source, straight from US Gov: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1272/~/food---general-food

Last edited:
Awww thanks for that Ross, knowing I can at least have that one, or 2 decent cuppas before I head out of a day makes all the difference, confirmed non coffee drinker here!

Spike.

I'm pretty sure they sell Twinings Tea at the Walgreens just down the road from Universal for a couple of dollars as well, just so you know.

Just so you are aware, even though they are permitted to be taken into the country, tea bags should be declared. When the immigration officer asks is you have any food items, just tell them you have tea bags. It will be fine.

Do you need to declare the tea bags somewhere on the customs form or just verbally?

Do you need to declare the tea bags somewhere on the customs form or just verbally?

It’s funny as on our 5 flights out last year we were never given a customs form to fill in like we were always given before......

Seems they don’t use them now. This was with Virgin Atlantic and TC.

We always bring chocolate for Club Lounge staff and we always tell the officer we speak to. Usually they don’t say anything except how lovely......but.....one told us to always declare anything.....if you eat or drink it.....declare it.......so we do.......always do as we’re told......lol......

Just so you are aware, even though they are permitted to be taken into the country, tea bags should be declared. When the immigration officer asks is you have any food items, just tell them you have tea bags. It will be fine.

Do you have the source for this as its at odds to what I can find on CBP’s own site. I was also specifically told it did not need to be declared if it was normal, unopened tea for personal consumption as recently as last year.

We’ve taken tea bags each time, sealed new packet, always declared and they let us straight through. And we take a kettle that we purchased from US Amazon as almost lol US Hotel rooms don’t have them. Coffee makers can never get the water hot enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter