Is it possible to get a studio- 7mo out - 1st wk Dec.?

Megz

Earning My Ears
My home is GFV & I was wondering if at the 7 month out point is it possible to book another resort (PREF. Copper Creek or Animal Kingdom) - Standard Studio for Thanksgiving week or the 1st week in December? Do they automatically appear in whats available or do you have to call? Sorry I'm new to switching out a reservation. TIA

You almost certainly will have to waitlist for CCV and perhaps for AKV too. Kidani is the most likely to come thru because it has the most studios of the 3 you are looking at. It’s the most popular time for DVC visits though so you do want to book your home resort right at 11 months. At 7 months you can check online and see if the othe 2 are available to switch. You would go thru the modify link on your reservation. If neither CCV nor AKV are available then you can set up the waitlist and ask for it to replace your reservation at your home resort. This all can be done online although you can also call to do it.

Possible? Yes. Difficult? Usually. Of the two, Copper Creek is more likely to be the hardest to get during the first week of Dec as it a) is new; b) is at arguably the hardest place to book during the holidays; c) has increasing crowds due to purposeful Disney planning; and d) has studios which are the cheapest point-wise. That being said, it's not impossible. Be prepared for a waitlist for Copper Creek. AKV has also seen an uptick in reservations but is generally considered an easier "get" due to its size. You my already know this, but always book your home resort first to ensure you have a place to stay. Then, at 7 months, right at the time when online (or member services opens), be ready to book. Online booking does show what's available at the time when you're trying to reserve, but some people prefer dealing with a live person. Online booking opens earlier and if the rooms are available, you can most definitely use that.

Edit: HA! KAT beat me to it!

Last edited:
Possible? Yes. Difficult? Usually. Of the two, Copper Creek is more likely to be the hardest to get during the first week of Dec as it a) is new; b) is at arguably the hardest place to book during the holidays; c) increasing crowds due to purposeful Disney planning; and d) studios are the cheapest point-wise. That being said, it's not impossible. Be prepared for a waitlist for Copper Creek. AKV has also seen an uptick in reservations but is generally considered an easier "get" due to its size. You my already know this, but always book your home resort first to ensure you have a place to stay. Then, at 7 months, right at the time when online (or member services opens), be ready to book. Online booking does show what's available at the time when you're trying to reserve, but some people prefer dealing with a live person. Online booking opens earlier and if the rooms are available, you can most definitely use that.

Just holding my breath to see if you said the same thing Sleepy! :D

You almost certainly will have to waitlist for CCV and perhaps for AKV too. Kidani is the most likely to come thru because it has the most studios of the 3 you are looking at. It’s the most popular time for DVC visits though so you do want to book your home resort right at 11 months. At 7 months you can check online and see if the othe 2 are available to switch. You would go thru the modify link on your reservation. If neither CCV nor AKV are available then you can set up the waitlist and ask for it to replace your reservation at your home resort. This all can be done online although you can also call to do it.

OK, so say I have my home resort booked & if I waitlist my the other preferance at 7 months out, if the waitlist don't go through, will I loose my initial home resort stay or will it only switch to the resort I'm waitlisting if it becomes available? I appreciate all your insight on this!!! Thanks again!!

Possible? Yes. Difficult? Usually. Of the two, Copper Creek is more likely to be the hardest to get during the first week of Dec as it a) is new; b) is at arguably the hardest place to book during the holidays; c) increasing crowds due to purposeful Disney planning; and d) studios are the cheapest point-wise. That being said, it's not impossible. Be prepared for a waitlist for Copper Creek. AKV has also seen an uptick in reservations but is generally considered an easier "get" due to its size. You my already know this, but always book your home resort first to ensure you have a place to stay. Then, at 7 months, right at the time when online (or member services opens), be ready to book. Online booking does show what's available at the time when you're trying to reserve, but some people prefer dealing with a live person. Online booking opens earlier and if the rooms are available, you can most definitely use that.

Thank you for your reply!! I'm new at the whole waitlisting & modifying my reservation to a new resort. Normally I just book & stay at GFV. I appreciate your time. Thank you!!

OK, so say I have my home resort booked & if I waitlist my the other preferance at 7 months out, if the waitlist don't go through, will I loose my initial home resort stay or will it only switch to the resort I'm waitlisting if it becomes available? I appreciate all your insight on this!!! Thanks again!!
It will only switch if a waitlist comes through.pixiedust:

Thank you for your reply!! I'm new at the whole waitlisting & modifying my reservation to a new resort. Normally I just book & stay at GFV. I appreciate your time. Thank you!!
You are most welcome. We've all been where you are at one time or another (and I'm not as knowledgeable as many others--KAT and bobbi among them). As bobbi mentions, if you've made your reservation at your home resort, then that is what you'll get if your waitlists don't come through. If they do, then you'll be automatically switched. No worries. Also, you can have two concurrent waitlists: one for CC and one for AKV, for example. Or, you can have both at the same resort for different accommodations, say one for a studio and the other for a 1BR. There are options. ;)

FWIW, I do know people who were on at 8AM for first week of December this year at 7 months trying to book with Aulani points who had to move up to a 1BR, at Saratoga. All they could get.

I’m not sure others saw that your question was a STANDARD Studio at 7 months in December. I think nearly impossible

Good Luck! I think it is impossible! I know a lot of people are talking about Star Wars opening this December, which will add to that.

I was talking to a CM friend of mine, a supervisor for entertainment in Disney Studios, and he said they are now hearing it could be January/February 2020. Of course at this time any dates provided are rumors, but if this is true, that could help your chances.

I’m not sure others saw that your question was a STANDARD Studio at 7 months in December. I think nearly impossible

Standard view is a decent size category at AKV although yes, savannah view is larger. Any room can happen with a waitlist. It's far from a given though which is why it is necessary to book their home resort.

Good Luck! I think it is impossible! I know a lot of people are talking about Star Wars opening this December, which will add to that.

I was talking to a CM friend of mine, a supervisor for entertainment in Disney Studios, and he said they are now hearing it could be January/February 2020. Of course at this time any dates provided are rumors, but if this is true, that could help your chances.

Actually, I don't think it helps much. That week has always been popular, and if anything, GE opening might drive some members away to dodge the crazy. The good thing about DVC is you know you're coming back.

Megz, the times you are talking about are two of the highest DVC demand times of the year. Getting any studio at all, anywhere, including possibly SSR and OKW can be a serious issue at 7 months, although SSR is a decent chance (but definitely no certainty). The ones you mention CCV and AKV (and that includes savanna view not just standard view) will likely be gotten only via luck of a wait list.

And that is not your only issue. As a VGF owner, you can book a VGF studio at 11 months out, but for the times you want there is a risk of those disappearing right at 8 a.m. (or even a day or two before 8 a.m.) at 11 months out. You should be online at 8 a.m. 11 months out to try to do the reservation.

Last edited:
Waitlist could have a chance, but you have decreased chance of getting whole weeks on the waitlist, compared to a few days. Might be best to pick the week you want, and then, if it isn't available at the 7 month window (which it won't be) make 2 different waitlist requests, of a few days each, and hope to combine them together. If you do that you will almost certainly want to make the requests at Animal Kingdom, where there are so many rooms (especially Kidani) that you will have a much better chance of seeing them come through.

Could the OP trade with another DVC owner? I mean the OP would be able to give a studio at GFV. A lot of people would make that trade. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter