Is it possible to get around Universal/IOA without using lockers?

Okay, so phone has to stay with me so that's out.

On the metal detector rides where only lanyards and glasses are allowed, you can’t take the phone.

The lockers are really easy to use, and I haven’t had a single bad experince with them.

Same.

On rides like Mummy, we regularly ride with lanyards, and never had anyone question those. How else would you take advantage of the express pass line?

All rides allow you to wear lanyards with tickets etc.

I assume i could carry a backpack on every ride except the ones that require the lockers otherwise what would I do with it?

I feel like I’m missing something. Im unsure of if the kids are rising things etc.

There are rides that allow you to bring your stuff. They don’t have lockers.

Except that the water rides have nowhere to put your stuff so either be ok with drenched stuff OR make it waterproof somehow OR pay for a locker for the water rides.

Then there are rides like FJ that only allow three pronged waist packs as a bag. If you have a backpack or something without three prongs, it goes in the locker.

Then there are the metal detector rides. Rrr and hulk. Nothing but clothes, glasses if you need them, and lanyard.

What is the purpose of metal detectors on rides anyways? I didn’t know about that before. Is it just RRR and Hulk?

People with coins in the pockets or other things that got loose were causing problems during the initial rise on RRR.

Things like phones were flying out of pockets on hulk (and dragon challenge but that’s gone now).

They decided that things like that shouldn’t be allowed on those rides.

I assume i could carry a backpack on every ride except the ones that require the lockers otherwise what would I do with it?

Maybe this explanation will help. There are 3 kinds of rides.
-rides with metal detectors where you can take nothing except a lanyard, can’t have anything in your pockets even (there are only 2 rides like this) free lockers available
-rides that don’t allow large bags- a lot of rides won’t let you have something as large as a backpack but you’re fine with things in your pocket/crossover bag/fannypack. Free lockers are available for these too
-rides where a larger bag can be brought- not as many but a few rides would allow a backpack

We generally have a few small things in pockets so we can’t completely avoid lockers for metal detector rides, but are fine for everything else. This is our sweet spot.

I was just hoping to avoid the craziness I've read about with the ride lockers.

As others have said, I didn't find the lockers to be as crazy as some people make them out to be. We have been there twice, once in August and in November. Both times I found myself in and out with the lockers.

So are there any rides that don't allow a bag that don't have free lockers? If I bring a bag, would I have to pay for a locker at any time? Almost sounds like it would be easier to bring the stroller and have a place for most of the stuff.

Maybe this explanation will help. There are 3 kinds of rides.
-rides with metal detectors where you can take nothing except a lanyard, can’t have anything in your pockets even (there are only 2 rides like this) free lockers available
-rides that don’t allow large bags- a lot of rides won’t let you have something as large as a backpack but you’re fine with things in your pocket/crossover bag/fannypack. Free lockers are available for these too
-rides where a larger bag can be brought- not as many but a few rides would allow a backpack

We generally have a few small things in pockets so we can’t completely avoid lockers for metal detector rides, but are fine for everything else. This is our sweet spot.

People with coins in the pockets or other things that got loose were causing problems during the initial rise on RRR.

Things like phones were flying out of pockets on hulk (and dragon challenge but that’s gone now).

They decided that things like that shouldn’t be allowed on those rides.

Ah, thanks! I can see how that could be an issue. I won't need to worry then as we will not be riding RRR or Hulk.

Could someone tell me which rides will not allow a small fanny pack/hip pack please?

Also, will sunglasses risk the request of removal? (Mine are prescription) I get that at water parks out here sometimes. Though people with glasses are waived through, my prescription sunglasses keep getting stopped. I have to assure them that these are prescription and started wearing a sports strap strapped tight against my head to show my glasses won't fly off my face.

Many use croakies or a similar strap for glasses on the hulk, rrr, or other rides

Totally acceptable

I have not had any issues using a hip bag, fanny pack on the rides on the non coaster rides

If you aren't allowed to have a bag then the lockers are free.
How much stuff are your planning on bringing? Anyway you could pare it down? I travel with kids. I hit most amusement parks with just my zippered pockets. :) I carry a small tube of sunscreen, a few bandaids, my phone, debit card, drivers license and a lipgloss. The essentials. :)
I'd be ok with my kids sitting together outside while I ran into the locker area. Buddy system. I would probably tell them to stand near the ride attendant or other worker. I travel a lot with the kids solo and have some pretty good routines in place.

Ah, thanks! I can see how that could be an issue. I won't need to worry then as we will not be riding RRR or Hulk.

Could someone tell me which rides will not allow a small fanny pack/hip pack please?

Also, will sunglasses risk the request of removal? (Mine are prescription) I get that at water parks out here sometimes. Though people with glasses are waived through, my prescription sunglasses keep getting stopped. I have to assure them that these are prescription and started wearing a sports strap strapped tight against my head to show my glasses won't fly off my face.

You can’t take anything on Hulk and RRR.

The Mummy will allow fanny packs if they have a 3 prong clasp.

FJ allows fanny packs as long as they don’t interfere with the harness in any way. I have a Kipling Multiple and use it on FJ.......it has sun cream and glasses case inside so bulky but not too bulky.

My husband and son both wear glasses and they have never come off on any ride, coasters included.

If you aren't allowed to have a bag then the lockers are free.
How much stuff are your planning on bringing? Anyway you could pare it down? I travel with kids. I hit most amusement parks with just my zippered pockets. :) I carry a small tube of sunscreen, a few bandaids, my phone, debit card, drivers license and a lipgloss. The essentials. :)
I'd be ok with my kids sitting together outside while I ran into the locker area. Buddy system. I would probably tell them to stand near the ride attendant or other worker. I travel a lot with the kids solo and have some pretty good routines in place.

It depends, if its me, then it would probably be fairly light. The wife needs to travel with bottled water for everyone while I will just use a water fountain. Ponchos as well. I was thinking of just bringing a backpack as I don't have a fanny pack. Potentially if I don't need the water, I could get by with just stuffing the ponchos in my pocket.

Its always been my understanding that if the ride has free lockers (which means use of the lockers is required), then you have to store all bags in there UNLESS your bag has a 3 prong clasp like a fanny pack. I've never seen someone allowed to carry on a cross-body bag or small backpack on rides that have a free locker bank.

To sum it up as a general rule of thumb:

-if the ride has no lockers, you are permitted to carry your bag on.
-if the ride has a free locker bank, you can't carry your bag on and will have to store it.
-if the ride has a metal detector, you can't carry on anything at all and need to store everything (only Hulk and RRR).

No other exceptions or scenarios that I am aware of. As mentioned, the water rides have locker banks nearby for a charge but they are optional. You are not required to use them for your bag, but many choose to pay for them so their bag does not get wet.

when we were there in February, they made you use the locker for your phone, lanyard and wallet on the Hulk. I cant think of other rides that require this,,,,,maybe Rip Roar Rocket....

If you can spend the day without a phone and can just carry a debit card, then you can be totally locker free. But for me, it is easier to just carry the basics of what I need and quickly grab a locker for the rides that require it. :) Even in the most crowded of times, grabbing a locker does not take too long

Can't things be charged to the room? Do you really need a debit card? Isn't it like Disney with the band that you can just use your room key for everything?

Can't things be charged to the room? Do you really need a debit card? Isn't it like Disney with the band that you can just use your room key for everything?
Yes you can charge back to your room but I always like a backup.
Remember too that Universal doesn’t own the hotels- Loews does.

Just a tip for those that are putting their phones in their pockets.

Make sure it is a deep pocket or has some kind of closure like a zipper. I suppose in a pinch you could use a large safety pin.

My son always uses cargo shorts with zippered pockets for his park attire.

I watched a video on youtube and the guy filming lost his phone on, I can't remember the ride, but was then mad because they would not look for it for him. They did tell him if they found it after close, it would be sent to lost and found.

I always use a fanny pack. The only thing I had to use a locker for it was Hulk and RRR. On the rides with a shoulder or tight lap restraint, just twist it to the side and it should be fine.

Okay, so phone has to stay with me so that's out. I guess I'll just carry a backpack with us if we don't take the stroller. I was just hoping to avoid the craziness I've read about with the ride lockers.

Buy one of these for you phone/cards.

VK Voxkin Premium Quality Universal Waterproof Case with Armband, Compass, Lanyard

url

When we did Forbidden Journey the first time (early entry), lockers were simple. When we did Forbidden Journey mid afternoon, lockers were insane. Try to get those rides done with while the crowds are very low at opening.

Honestly the lockers aren't that bad and really convenient to me. They are pretty quick and easy to use. A couple spots can get a little crowded but never found it that bad. And you on't have to worry about anything falling out on rides then either. Usually carry the bare minimum with me but have to ahve my phone so have to use the lockers anyway on some anyhow. think that woudl be the hardest part of getting by without using them

When we did Forbidden Journey the first time (early entry), lockers were simple. When we did Forbidden Journey mid afternoon, lockers were insane. Try to get those rides done with while the crowds are very low at opening.

I agree. Most of the time the experience is fine. but sometimes- phew! the experience leaves something to be desired when they area is crowded.

I don't want to scare anyone off, but just for starts the smell of sweat/underarms can be overpowering at times, especially in the summer heat! I've also been whacked because someone near me was careless, and I had no room to move when they swung their heavy bag into me.

Honestly the lockers aren't that bad and really convenient to me. They are pretty quick and easy to use. A couple spots can get a little crowded but never found it that bad. And you on't have to worry about anything falling out on rides then either. Usually carry the bare minimum with me but have to ahve my phone so have to use the lockers anyway on some anyhow. think that woudl be the hardest part of getting by without using them
What makes it bad is when a family/group all go in to the locker area together. They stand there looking over each others' shoulders at the screen, then they all shuffle over and stand around the locker gathering their stuff to put in or distributing it as they take it out. Me OR my son take the few items for our family and just one of us goes in to the locker area. I think that is how most people do it, but the others can definitely make it more crowded.

I also don't understand the people who feel they must stand at the very edge of airport baggage carousels and won't move for anything until their bag(s) finally come along. Step back a couple steps. Allow others space to get their bags. Move forward when yours come along. End rant. :-)

How about the groups that go to the locker area and try to cram several backpacks in the same locker? They are free, just get your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter