Is it worth purchasing DVC if you tour like this or is renting points more practical?

Even if you buy direct, you get what is left on the contract. Each resort has an expiration date. For some of the resorts, that's 30 years (or so) away. For other resorts, its closer to fifty. But the Poly has been selling for a year now, so if you buy the Poly, its 49 years left, regardless if you bought direct (it may be 48, I'm not sure exactly what year the Poly went on sale).

For some people the extra years on the contract are worth a lot. For others, they are worth less. Some of us are old, we don't care what its worth when we are 80 - and we don't care if it gets passed to kids.

So this thread has dissolved into thing I don't at all get lol.
Anyways... So its possibly a better price/value if I were to purchase a resale vs directly?
Basically I'd just be buying and paying for whatever is left on the contract?

If you're serious about looking into DVC -- I'd spend a few hours reading through the stickies. They have a lot of great information.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-resource-center-updated-july-2017.3514540/

If you're serious about looking into DVC -- I'd spend a few hours reading through the stickies. They have a lot of great information.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-resource-center-updated-july-2017.3514540/

What I originally wanted to know was is it worth it for the way I vacation.
I only asked this question because I though maybe it would be more worthwhile if I'd only be paying off somene else's contract.
I don't care to know all the ins and outs if people think its not worth it.

What I originally wanted to know was is it worth it for the way I vacation.
I only asked this question because I though maybe it would be more worthwhile if I'd only be paying off somene else's contract.
I don't care to know all the ins and outs if people think its not worth it.

I understand all that -- but you kept asking more and more questions...all of which are covered in those stickies. Thought it would save you time. Sorry for trying to help you out.

I understand all that -- but you kept asking more and more questions...all of which are covered in those stickies. Thought it would save you time. Sorry for trying to help you out.

Not really. This was the only other question I asked.
The other posts just simply comments and once I was corrected about renting it seemed less like either option was a good choice for me.
But thanks for the link to the stickies incase I decide to look into it further.

To me its all a bit confusing how it works as to if its worth it.

It seems like when you join you end up being restricted to certain dates or certain amount of days, or having to book x amount of months in advance...
I feel like you have to be a creature of habit.

But when it comes to Disney vacations we are not creatures of habit and don't want to "conform".
We never know when we are going to go until we know if that makes sense lol.
Like we don't go from May 15th-21st every single year.
We might go for 1 week in August this year and then 3 days in April next year and again in December for 4 days and the next year 6 days in October...etc.
We also don't ALWAYS plan months and months in advance.

With that type of pattern does it make sense to spend the base of $17,500 (No way would we pay any more to get more points/perks) plus yearly dues and any other costs to join?

Or based on how we like to just go when we want and not be restricted would it be a better option to just rent DVC points if we want to experience it? (I hear renting points is a good way to stay deluxe without the deluxe price too?)

I don't think it would be worth it for you to buy retail or resale at this time.

Renting would probably work out some of the time for your last minute trips, but mostly you would not get something last minute (or 1-3 months out) for months like April, October and December.

And right now, I don't think it makes sense to spend what they want for the newer resorts. Just my 2 cents. That said, I'm pretty happy with my purchase for the last 17 years! It took me about 3 years to figure this all out and commit to it. I was very uncertain about buying a timeshare. Now it turns out I made a good decision for the way I vacation. So your mileage may vary and it's pretty hard to predict for the future and for other people's needs (wants).

You can always start very small with a resale for 50 or 75 points and go from there. Once you do that and if you are happy with it (or not happy) you can move forward and keep it or sell it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter