Is it worth the $$$

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
We've been DVC members since 2000 and I've always been interested in Adventures by Disney, but it's cost prohibitive points wise.
Now that we are seriously considering an ABD trip within the next 2 years, I started looking at the website at Europe, specifically Italy, trips for prices and itinerary's.

It seems very expensive, and I'm wondering if those of you who have done ABD trips feel you got what you paid for, had enough time in each tour and feel it was worth the costs. For DH and I on an adult only trip before flights it's over $13,000 for 8 nights. We've never been to Europe and usually travel to places along the Eastern seaboard, outside of our Disney trips.

I'm going to price comparision other tour companies, but since we know and have been part of Disney for so long, we are very comfortable with the Disney brand, so I started here first.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, there! You might be interested in checking out this thread on the ABD Forum that points to several discussions we've had on this exact question:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3045636

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer! I'm signed up for my 6th ABD (to Scotland!) in August! (One of those trips was the DIS exclusive trip to London & Paris in 2011. So very, very worth it!)

Sayhello

I think the main answer you will get here is heck yeah. You get five star accommodations, people who cater to you, wonderful experiences. I'm signed up for my second Backstage Magic. I know regulars here who have taken several trips thru the DIS and are planning others. If your budget can support it and I wish mine supported the Viva Italia this fall, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Kim

I really first noticed ABD watching the promotional video on the Magical Express ride to WDW. I checked the prices and, like you, wondered if it was really worth the cost. Let's face it, any ABD trip, but especially the ones overseas, will cost quite a lot of money and for that reason alone, an ABD trip just isn't going to be affordable for a decent number of folks.

Having done the Italy tour, I can answer your questions as follows:
if those of you who have done ABD trips

(1) feel you got what you paid for,
(2) had enough time in each tour and
(3) feel it was worth the costs

(1) absolutely, even considering the "servants quarters" accommodations and a certain musical experience in Tuscany (that made scenes from Wagner's Tannhäuser look tame).
(2) yes, there was a good balance between guided tours and "free time." Going into the trip, I was concerned I would not find things to do during the free time. That wasn't the case at all.
(3) yes, I'm a quintessential cheap sake but, even though I left more of a tip than the "recommended amount," to this day I still wonder whether I should have tipped both of our ABD tour guides more.

$13,000. Does that include airfare? For sure, everyone is different -but it would be a hard sell for me. We did 2-weeks in Italy a few years ago for under $5,000(for two people). We aren't the type of travelers who require the 5-Star accommodations ABD provides, so that saves some money. But when I opened my window in Rome, I looked out at the Pantheon -to me that's a 6-Star!

$13,000. Does that include airfare? For sure, everyone is different -but it would be a hard sell for me. We did 2-weeks in Italy a few years ago for under $5,000(for two people). We aren't the type of travelers who require the 5-Star accommodations ABD provides, so that saves some money. But when I opened my window in Rome, I looked out at the Pantheon -to me that's a 6-Star!

ABD pricing does not include air.

Everyone has a different travel style.

This is why there is an All Star Music, Grand Floridian and an upcoming Four Seasons.

Before we went on our first ABD trip in 2011, I questioned the price. You can definitely see the sights for much less with another company. It depends on your comfort level. My brother, for example, travels internationally all the time for work and is very independent and likes to arrange things on his own. ABD is not the company for him. I, on the other hand, don't travel abroad, love having the details taken care of for me so that I can focus on enjoying the country I'm in, and enjoy being pampered. Aside from all that, on our London/Paris trip, I quickly learned that ABD is about way more than just checking off a to do list of tourist attractions. I didn't go into that first trip looking to make friends, but I came home with lifelong friendships. And that enriched the travel experience so much and is worth any price.

Laurie

Before we went on our first ABD trip in 2011, I questioned the price. You can definitely see the sights for much less with another company. It depends on your comfort level. My brother, for example, travels internationally all the time for work and is very independent and likes to arrange things on his own. ABD is not the company for him. I, on the other hand, don't travel abroad, love having the details taken care of for me so that I can focus on enjoying the country I'm in, and enjoy being pampered. Aside from all that, on our London/Paris trip, I quickly learned that ABD is about way more than just checking off a to do list of tourist attractions. I didn't go into that first trip looking to make friends, but I came home with lifelong friendships. And that enriched the travel experience so much and is worth any price.

Laurie

This is an excellent post and the intangible part of the trip is priceless.

I too, have made lifelong friends and love traveling with a group of people.

Shared experiences are some of the best to be had.

I sat on a bus traveling through Germany listening to our guide describe her life in east Germany and where she was and how she felt and what she was wearing and what her experiences were when the wall came down.

it brought that moment in history to life in a way that I never would have experienced. I was with her on that day. I felt like I was there.

In my mind....that is irreplaceable.

I looked into the Southwest Splenders tour a couple of years ago. The timing of the tour didn't work for us, so I just looked at where they stayed and the adventures they did. Great reviews on here helped as well. We spent less and got to do exactly what we wanted and stayed in one of the same hotels. We were in our own country, so our comfort level was high!

We are going to Italy and going on DCL Med cruise. They have an ABD for the cruise, but I would rather plan individual excursions myself. I like to plan and research. For the Italy part of our trip the timing again doesn't work for ABD. Plus we like having certain types of rooms and beds. I can go on VRBO and get apartments cheaper than hotel rooms. In the end, I think in Italy we may spend more because I'm more likely to do private tours, so the expense might be higher- so it depends on how you like to tour.

I think if you don't like to plan and you have the money I'm sure it's great! If I was going to do a tour group it would be with ABD! Right now, we travel with our kids, one of which suffers from anxiety. I don't want to subject anyone else to her if she is not feeling well. One day, when it's just DH and I or my other DD and I, I would love to do an ABD tour!

We've been DVC members since 2000 and I've always been interested in Adventures by Disney, but it's cost prohibitive points wise.
Now that we are seriously considering an ABD trip within the next 2 years, I started looking at the website at Europe, specifically Italy, trips for prices and itinerary's.

It seems very expensive, and I'm wondering if those of you who have done ABD trips feel you got what you paid for, had enough time in each tour and feel it was worth the costs. For DH and I on an adult only trip before flights it's over $13,000 for 8 nights. We've never been to Europe and usually travel to places along the Eastern seaboard, outside of our Disney trips.

I'm going to price comparision other tour companies, but since we know and have been part of Disney for so long, we are very comfortable with the Disney brand, so I started here first.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So many times I've thought to try ABD but every time I decide against it.
For a few reasons.

I am a very luxury traveler but 13K imo is almost usury rates (just my opinion, every one is different when it comes to value.)

I have been to paris/London 3 times, I've stayed in everything from the four season hotel George to the hotel Lutecia and paid no where near the rates on ABD.

I find Europe to be so easy to tour. transportation, tickets, shows are all extremely easy to book.
I also find Europeans to be friendly easy, welcoming folks. Hotels were more than helpful and everyone from the hotel staff to the waiters at the local Braisseres were more than willing to chat and offer suggestions. They even put up with my assasination of their language. LOL

I can get all the "security" if a problem creeps up from my American express rep. They are wonderful. The first time we went to paris, well we never made it because that stupid volcano erupted in Iceland shutting down air travel. within hours A/E had me settled into a great hotel and every day they were on the phone trying to get me a flight out (I was stuck in Lisbon. not to shabby). I've lost my passport and had them handle it

So while I can't and won't say that ABD is not worth the money, my goal when travelling is to get the most bang for my buck. I'm a pretty outgoing gal so I do alright enhancing my experiences.

Every time I say I'm going to give it a shot, I change my mind.

This is an excellent post and the intangible part of the trip is priceless. I too, have made lifelong friends and love traveling with a group of people. Shared experiences are some of the best to be had.

These are huge pluses -no question.

This is an excellent post and the intangible part of the trip is priceless.

I too, have made lifelong friends and love traveling with a group of people.

Shared experiences are some of the best to be had.

I sat on a bus traveling through Germany listening to our guide describe her life in east Germany and where she was and how she felt and what she was wearing and what her experiences were when the wall came down.

it brought that moment in history to life in a way that I never would have experienced. I was with her on that day. I felt like I was there.

In my mind....that is irreplaceable.

Wow! Just wow.

We've only done the Backstage Magic trip, which I will wholehearted tell you is worth every penny of its price and then some.

But even with how much we loved it, we simply can't afford ABD. Or more to the point, we have a limit on our vacation budget and I could not see exchanging the extra time on vacation for what ABD provides.

For example, in 2012 we took 4 weeks off and went to Australia with a side trip to Disneyland. Spent $16,000 for the three of us. This is A LOT of money for us almost double our typical annual vacation budget. I looked at doing the trip ABD - and it would have cost MORE ($20,000+) for only 11 days and we would've seen signiifcantly less. And without ABD we still had one of the great experiences of our lives. I would NEVER choose ABD over what we did.

And more typically, we take three vacations a year for less than most ABD trips would cost. Again, I wouldn't make that trade by choice.

So, is it "worth" it. That is really up to you. It's not too me.

"Worth it" is a truly subjective term.

Many people think the prices Disney Cruise Line charges are "worth it".

That being said, you can see the same places with another cruise line for half the price.

People come to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridian and think the cost is "worth it".

Other folks stay at Pop Century and are happy as can be.

As I posted above, there are experiences that come from group travel that are definitely "worth it" in my opinion.

I also think it's "worth it" when I see some poor schlub dragging three suitcases and a backpack from the bus/train station to his hotel that he's been told is within "walking distance".

Everyone has their list of priorities and that's why there are so many travel options.

"Worth it" is a truly subjective term.

Many people think the prices Disney Cruise Line charges are "worth it".

That being said, you can see the same places with another cruise line for half the price.

People come to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridian and think the cost is "worth it".

Other folks stay at Pop Century and are happy as can be.

As I posted above, there are experiences that come from group travel that are definitely "worth it" in my opinion.

I also think it's "worth it" when I see some poor schlub dragging three suitcases and a backpack from the bus/train station to his hotel that he's been told is within "walking distance".

Everyone has their list of priorities and that's why there are so many travel options.

Very well said as usual Kevin! (We ALMOST did that bag thing in Sydney, but luckily chose the taxi route versus train. :goodvibes)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!