Is Mulan worth the price?

When I heard it was going to be $30 for early access, I told myself that I didn't like the movie enough to spend that much. I don't have kids or anyone else who was dying to watch, so that might change the analysis for some people. However, in one of my weaker moments over the weekend, I decided that I would've spent $30+ on social activities over a holiday weekend in pre-pandemic times, and I ended up caving. I went in with somewhat low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised.

I will also add that I generally prefer the animated versions to the live action ones. On top of that, the animated version came out when I was in high school so I have memories of listening to the soundtrack on repeat during that span. I never ranked it as highly as the other animated classics from that era, but I liked the original enough to be skeptical of the differences in this version before watching.

With that said, It definitely served its purpose in keeping me (mostly) entertained for 2 hours, even though I knew the story, and I ended up liking the "action" elements more than I thought I would. I hadn't seen the animated version in years so maybe that helped. I also had a good time trying to pick out the similarities between the two.

So, two weeks ago I would have said "no" but after watching I will change my answer to a "yes," or at least a "maybe". If I had kids who would enjoy watching it during a family movie night, I would probably spend the $30 without thinking twice. That same value might not be there for other childless millennials like myself, although my childless millennial friends watched separately and we reached the same opinion. Granted, we also consider ourselves to be Disney fans overall, so we might be just a little biased!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter