Is popcorn still safe for milk allergies?

wendow

We create happiness.
I read Disney changed their popcorn last year. We were there in Sept 2016 but I can't remember if we got popcorn or not. Is the current vendor safe for milk allergies?

Any other changes or foods your milk allergy sufferers love? While Disney is great with allergies, I find milk harder to accommodate there vs. things like gluten and peanuts (which we also deal with).

@AdamEfimoff, thanks for the sympathy. I don't really see it as problems in my life but I do have a child, my 8yo ds, who is allergic to milk. Most prepared foods and desserts have milk so it can be hard to work around.

Just asking about the current popcorn because he's been able to eat that in the past. Helps to give him something yummy when everyone else is having a Mickey Bar :)

I do not have an answer to your popcorn question, but I do have a heads-up for you based on our trip in July with my father who is extremely lactose intolerant. (Not as serious as an allergy, but he still avoids all milk products.) The restaurants have moved away from the chef coming to your table in favor of a generic allergy menu. Most places, this meant one option on the menu that was dairy free. (Crystal Palace was an exception, and had many options on a separate menu.) That said, I would advise you to ask the chef to come out if there is not an option that appeals to your son on that menu. In retrospect, my father wishes he had done that more since in the past they were able to modify exiting dishes pretty easily to accommodate him. (Leave off cheese, sautéed in oil vs. butter, etc...)

In the several years we've been visiting with our three allergic kiddos we've seen the popcorn vary place to place. I don't recall milk being an issue last year but finding soy free popcorn was an issue. Especially with the prepackaged stuff. My best suggestion is to always ask to read the ingredients as it can continue to change from time to time.

In the several years we've been visiting with our three allergic kiddos we've seen the popcorn vary place to place. I don't recall milk being an issue last year but finding soy free popcorn was an issue. Especially with the prepackaged stuff. My best suggestion is to always ask to read the ingredients as it can continue to change from time to time.

I do check every time we go and the popcorn has always been a safe choice but I read they changed it last year to Pop Secret. Not sure when the change occurred but I will just check when we are there in a few weeks.

I do check every time we go and the popcorn has always been a safe choice but I read they changed it last year to Pop Secret. Not sure when the change occurred but I will just check when we are there in a few weeks.

Go ahead and double check, but I did find this post in the Gluten Free & Dairy Free WDW blog about the Pop Secret change saying it was still safe.

I'm allergic to dairy, soy, and a bunch of other stuff. The popcorn carts use coconut oil for the popcorn and it is safe for dairy allergies. I ate a ton of popcorn on our Disneymoon in May and plan to get more we go on Tuesday. Every cart, stand, and quick service restaurant will have an ingredients book so you can check if you don't feel comfortable ordering from the allergy menus. At table service restaurants, a chef will come out to discuss options if there is nothing on the allergy menu that is safe or if you have questions.

I haven't been since 2013 and I know it was safe for my dairy, peanut, tree nut and egg allergic child then. I am hoping it still is next year!

What I have done (he has only gone 3 times), is make him a Rice Krispie treat and bring it to the park. I bring his butter (earth balance) and I have RK and marshmallows and parchment paper and get a microwave for our room.

He has also had a dole whip, the pineapple one, from the Poly vs rice dream. He isn't into cookies, cakes, cupcakes so I don't have to worry about that. The chef at captain cooks opened a brand new package of Oreos and gave me a handful for him since I told her he would eat them-one of the only 2 cookies he will eat!

Pretzels, he likes too, and one year, when he was 2, I spent a better part of an hour finding a chef In Germany for the ingredients!

I have also brought my own hotdog and hamburger bungs since the gluten free ones he wouldn't eat!

Can you make a bunch of cookies he likes and bring them and get the rice dream and make him a sandwich? Make them into a Mickey head shape (if possible).

I am looking forward to going next August since he can now eat eggs as of mid July. And 2 years ago he passed the cooked milk challenge (a cup of milk In some nasty tasting muffins) and in February he passed the cooked cheese. Pizza...holy crap! The kid is tired of pizza since all he ate was either cheeseless (once he passed the cooked milk challenge) or me making him one with soy cheese. Sorry, I am so excited...he will be 14 next month so we have been dealing with the 4 allergies since birth, well 9-12 months old. I don't have to bring buns, we can eat pizza in wolf gang pucks (and Italy...I am psyched). The last time we went in 2013, we ate pizza in Wolfgang pucks and they said the following month their dough was going to have cheese in it. We were so sad! Now we aren't. Anyways, I feel like I am gloating and I am but I am excited for him. Still no ice cream though, he accidentally ate my husbands dairy Ben and jerrys and thought I was the non dairy cherry Garcia. He came out to me and said his throat burned, this was 2 months ago, and I gave him his Benadryl and all was good. Progress!

The kid is tired of pizza since all he ate was either cheeseless (once he passed the cooked milk challenge) or me making him one with soy cheese.

Thanks for your post! My ds had FPIES to all foods until 3yo when he began to slowly be able to add foods to his diet (he lived on Neocate until about 4yo). So, I get how happy you must be to have your child adding so many foods!

Can I ask where you have found soy cheese for pizza? I can only find Daiya which my ds doesn't like. He had soy cheese at a pizza place in a resort area we were in and he loved it. I asked the restaurant for the brand and they gave me the name on a piece of paper but I could never find the brand...even googling online. I have searched the stores high and low and cannot find any soy cheese.

Thanks for your post! My ds had FPIES to all foods until 3yo when he began to slowly be able to add foods to his diet (he lived on Neocate until about 4yo). So, I get how happy you must be to have your child adding so many foods!

Can I ask where you have found soy cheese for pizza? I can only find Daiya which my ds doesn't like. He had soy cheese at a pizza place in a resort area we were in and he loved it. I asked the restaurant for the brand and they gave me the name on a piece of paper but I could never find the brand...even googling online. I have searched the stores high and low and cannot find any soy cheese.

It's the daiya soy cheese that I had used. I actually like it melted.

It's the daiya soy cheese that I had used. I actually like it melted.

Hmm, the Daiya we find is not soy. It's just like vegetable oil based. The soy cheese we were able to get at the pizza place was amazing and tasted just like mozzarella cheese but I cannot find it anywhere.

Hmm, the Daiya we find is not soy. It's just like vegetable oil based. The soy cheese we were able to get at the pizza place was amazing and tasted just like mozzarella cheese but I cannot find it anywhere.

Maybe it isn't! I never looked at the ingroedients after the first time buying it...years ago! And I threw away about 5 bags I had frozen about a month ago since I no longer needed it for my son.

I would ask, but I know their regular popcorn is vegan-friendly and that means no dairy!

Is there anything else non-dairy related at MK or WDW? I'm lactose intolerant but can handle dairy related stuff if i bring a handful of dairy pills.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!