Is ShopDisney really gonna change it's name back to Disney Store?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I heard that ShopDisney is gonna rebrand itself back to Disney Store and what I think it means it's a sign that Disney Stores will make a comeback to malls and I think that Disney is gonna do the same thing that Macy's did with Toys "R" Us in 2021 and with the name change I think Disney Store will improve itself and get more shoppers. I truly think this will be the start of the return of Disney Stores to malls and with ShopDisney changing it's name this is their ticket. Because I think Disney was wrong to close all Disney Stores and move into sections in Target and JCPenney and what could've been done was expand ShopDisney by renaming it Disney Store first and that could've saved them

I don't agree that the name change (yes, it's coming) presages a return to retail stores in malls.

They did mention that they will use the branding for those in-store deals like at Target. I hope it means we might see more of the unique and interesting items offered in partnership stores. I do not think they will be reopening their own retail.

Last edited:

It's a great decision to go back to the Disney Store name. The name is iconic and something people recognize.

I do not see a large scale return to stores, especially right now. That division is killing it on profit margin. I don't see why they would want to change course. Add a couple stores here and there.... maybe? Go back to the big Disney Decade vision of Disney being "everywhere you look"? I don't see it... Disney can't afford to make that kind of push right now, and frankly, given the changing dynamics in retail, I'm not sure why they'd want to.

What I also think made ShopDisney to change it's name from ShopDisney to Disney Store is they are trying to adopt a new image and want to compete with other online stores like Amazon and why I think ShopDisney did this was so they could go back to their old formula. Because I think the same thing that happened with Toys "R" Us happened to Disney Store and why Disney Stores had trouble staying alive in malls was because Disney Stores kept opening locations in malls and they couldn't keep up with the flow of so many new Disney Stores opening in malls and with Toys "R" Us the same exact thing happened by opening new stores that couldn't keep up with the current opened ones and that's why in my eyes why Toys "R" Us closed in the first place. Because when you get the general picture why you don't see many toy stores in malls is because the malls are now aimed at the teenage audience and the malls focus more on stores aimed at teens like Hot Topic Hollister and PacSun but when you had kids going to the mall was a treat for them because the kids could go to KB Toys Disney Store and Toys "R" Us but now the only store targeted at kids now in malls is Build-A-Bear Workshop and now the toy stores are just a novelty of childhood nostalgia now. What I think Disney Store should do now that ShopDisney is gonna rebrand back to Disney Store is to develop a new kind of Disney Store in malls to have a Service Merchandise like format where you could purchase through the store computer and your purchase would be ready to pick up and be paid for when you leave the store and it would be an interesting concept for Disney Store to do

What I really think Disney Store is trying to be like is a Disney version of Big Lots and why I think ShopDisney changed it's name and rebranded itself as Disney Store is that in the future they are planning to introduce a Big Lots type image to Disney Store. Because when I went there yesterday to see if they had a sale to honor the rebranding they have already clearanced out Valentine's Day merchandise and put Easter merchandise in it's place and what I think is happening is they will become a Disney bargain closeout store

It's a great decision to go back to the Disney Store name. The name is iconic and something people recognize.

I do not see a large scale return to stores, especially right now. That division is killing it on profit margin. I don't see why they would want to change course. Add a couple stores here and there.... maybe? Go back to the big Disney Decade vision of Disney being "everywhere you look"? I don't see it... Disney can't afford to make that kind of push right now, and frankly, given the changing dynamics in retail, I'm not sure why they'd want to.
Arguably, up until the closures, the stores that were in high-footfall locations did reasonably well. However, it was more dragged down by locations that have not seen a single refurbishment in years and an aimless management who couldn't decide if the Disney Stores should return to the "Disney merchandise for all" format or just stay an overglorified toy store. And I think the move to Target concessions has been a huge failure. Look at how it's all been set up and compare that to how well organised the Disney Store visual merchandising was.

Disney should return to mall stores, but only in the most prosperous malls.

I feel Disney should return primarily to top-tier destination retail districts.

A good example: Easton Town Center in Columbus, OH. While locals may go there to shop, there are folks who come from out of town (note the hotels nestled within the property) to escape to a day or two of shopping, dining, entertainment, and special events. Easton often gets big experiences other shopping districts don't get, like one of the first Cheesecake Factories within a wide radius (back in 1999), a huge Lego play land, an American Girl store (which I hear is closing), and a RH furniture gallery with a rooftop garden restaurant.

Easton is the perfect place for a Disney Store. (Why not put it where the American Girl store is closing?) It would attract a lot of clientele from both Columbus and the surrounding region; you'll pull from Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Youngstown, and possibly even as far as Louisville. It's one of the healthiest retail complexes nationwide and should be viable for a long time, especially as it keeps expanding.

Malls are a different story. Many larger cities have at least one thriving mall, like Ross Park in Pittsburgh (which used to have an original Disney store!) or South Park in Charlotte. Then there are the destination malls like Mall of America outside Minneapolis or King of Prussia outside Philly. A destination mall would be a better fit for a Disney store than a thriving top-tier mall in a smaller market if Disney wanted to make these somewhat special.

As for the store-within-a-store concept: I'm not a huge fan. I've seen Macy's attempt it with Toys R Us and frankly am disappointed in the execution of it. For starters, they lack the bikes and video games that made Toys R Us the go-to place for kids in the 80s and 90s. The area also just feels cramped, like it's an afterthought near the children's clothing department. They tried doing this with Finish Line too and frankly you're better going to the actual Finish Line store that's likely only a few hundred feet away. The Starbucks in my local Macy's (Ross Park) is a well-kept secret though; the lines are usually short and it has always been well-run.

I'm not a huge fan of making Disney more widely available at a discounter like Target. I feel like Disney should have its merchandise either at their own store or available at just about any store that sells a particular type and tier of merchandise, similar to how a brand like Nike is available at multiple stores (and also their own).

I do feel there is a definite place for in-person retail and that this is the time to strike. I've observed more and more younger people at the mall as of late, so much that it looks like it did 20+ years ago when every teen hung out there. (And no, I'm not being a grumpy old man about it like some are...honestly that makes me happy to see as a shareholder of several retail stocks!!!)

What I think could've worked better for Disney was to keep the ShopDisney name and they could've opened Disney Store sections in grocery stores such as Safeway because as we saw Albertson's do with Toys "R" Us mini toy stores in supermarkets do work out well. I also think why ShopDisney changed it's name was to attract new customers and they thought Disney Store would bring hope that the stores would be revived in malls someday soon which will never happen in the future. I also think why Macy's bought Toys "R" Us was not only to try to revive the store but because Macy's never sold any toys before year-round except with teaming up with FAO Schwarz to sell toys during Christmas and to honor this partnership with Toys "R" Us they even had a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade twice and when you go to the Macy's website and look in their Last Act clearance section half of it is toys like Marvel toys and Barbies and plushies. I think Macy's has become the king because not only did they buy Toys "R" Us they also bought Sunglass Hut Finish Line and Barnes And Noble and Claire's and it tells me they want to convert themselves into a Target-like image. But I think in Disney's case the Disney Store name will help Disney sell more merchandise

What I think could've worked better for Disney was to keep the ShopDisney name and they could've opened Disney Store sections in grocery stores such as Safeway because as we saw Albertson's do with Toys "R" Us mini toy stores in supermarkets do work out well. I also think why ShopDisney changed it's name was to attract new customers and they thought Disney Store would bring hope that the stores would be revived in malls someday soon which will never happen in the future. I also think why Macy's bought Toys "R" Us was not only to try to revive the store but because Macy's never sold any toys before year-round except with teaming up with FAO Schwarz to sell toys during Christmas and to honor this partnership with Toys "R" Us they even had a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade twice and when you go to the Macy's website and look in their Last Act clearance section half of it is toys like Marvel toys and Barbies and plushies. I think Macy's has become the king because not only did they buy Toys "R" Us they also bought Sunglass Hut Finish Line and Barnes And Noble and Claire's and it tells me they want to convert themselves into a Target-like image. But I think in Disney's case the Disney Store name will help Disney sell more merchandise
Wrong. Macy's did not buy out TRU and those other brands you've mentioned. They only licensed them for concessions. However, Macy's themselves have been cutting back on stores, and as for Disney, why would they want to have concessions inside a purely grocery supermarket? All they'll be is tiny sections that don't offer the full spectrum, and even the Target sections are IMO a failure.

What Disney needs to do is bring back the proper stores in the destination malls, and with a format that isn't the failed P30 concept that didn't work out. That looked too much like an Apple Store, and minimalism isn't really a Disney style.

I went searching for surviving Disney Stores in malls and the only surviving Disney Store is in El Paso Texas and this tells me that Texas is strong when it comes to store chains and I think with the ShopDisney name change back to Disney Store Disney will open a new shipping wherehouse in Texas because when I was looking through the El Paso Yelp I thought they had only one Disney Store close in El Paso and this other Disney Store is probably the only mall Disney Store in the whole world as well as the whole state of Texas. I think what also could be smart for Disney Store to do since ShopDisney renamed itself as Disney Store is revive the Disney Store Outlet stores because those stores made lots of money and it was a shame that the Disney Store Outlets closed too. But when you look at it I think people simply do not buy lots of toys for kids as they used to and once Walmart and Target and Fred Meyer began selling toys at cheaper prices toy stores started to go out of style. And when this happened it caused Toys "R" Us as well as Disney Stores to go broke and the same thing happened to KB Toys as well because when you look at it from a different vision people would go to toy stores to buy kids toys for Christmas or birthday gifts because those are the two times kids get the most toys every year. But what I dream Disney could do now that ShopDisney is now Disney Store is expand the popular Disney Character Wherehouse stores in Florida into a national chain and expand into other cities and states and that would be a smart idea indeed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter