Is Soarin' appropriate for a 6 year old?

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
I can't seem to figure out if I should take my son on Soarin'
A lot of reviews say that it is fine for anyone who meets the height requirement but other posters and reviews say that you can feel as though you are going to fall out of your seat and I worry that this will scare my son.
I have never ridden so not sure what to expect
Is there a place that we could sit that would be less scary?
Is there anything I can do to help him feel secure?

I can't seem to figure out if I should take my son on Soarin'
A lot of reviews say that it is fine for anyone who meets the height requirement but other posters and reviews say that you can feel as though you are going to fall out of your seat and I worry that this will scare my son.
I have never ridden so not sure what to expect
Is there a place that we could sit that would be less scary?
Is there anything I can do to help him feel secure?
Does your son have special needs? Is he particularly anxious in other areas of life? Are you anxious about going on rides?

Thousands of 4, 5, and 6 year olds ride Soarin and other rides at Disney every day. I think my kids started on Soarin around age 4, so its appropriate for many 6 year olds. The seats have a center strap that prevents smaller kids from getting out. I've never felt like I would fall out of those seats, but you do get a very pleasant sensation of flying. All of the seats get elevated during the ride, so there's no better or worse places to sit from a 'scary' perspective.

Would having him watch the ride on YouTube help him be less anxious about it?

DS (who has asd and can be anxious) rode soaring several times aged 4 and 5, and loved it, if that helps?

I’d heard it was fine and took my 4.5 year old. She got the feeling of falling and freaked out for the entire ride (she has no special needs and isn’t normally anxious). It’s pretty dark so you can’t see the floor and no matter how many times I told her it was fake she couldn’t calm down. I’ll probably never let her near it again lol. I’ve heard other people say their young kids are fine though.

Yes, Soarin' is very much appropriate for a 6 year old...whether YOUR 6 year old will like it or be upset by being lifted into the air is really individual. It's sort of like sitting on a porch swing that seats 10 across and has seatbelts. It then lifts you into the air, with just your feet dangling down.

Best suggestion I can think of is to ask to be in the bottom row, I believe that would be row 3. The ride is set up with sections A, B and C, which are side to side (i.e. B is in the middle, with A and C off to each side). Each of those then has 3 rows of 10 across, as I mentioned above...rows 1, 2 and 3. When the ride starts, they all lift into the air, basically stacked on top of each other and you're now staring at a gigantic movie screen. I may have it backwards, but I think 1 is at the top, 2 in the middle and 3 at the bottom. So if you're in row 3, you're much less high off the ground...you can see the dangling feet of people in row 2 above you.

If you were to try I would as the CM running the ride to put you in the last row, which when the ride starts is the one closest to the floor, so that initial feeling of lift isn't as high and the feeling of being so high up isn't as pronounced.

You can put your hand on your son's leg. You are sitting side by side and can touch. The movement is very gentle, just like gliding!

Its a very gentle simulator.
I would say its fine for anyone that meets the height requirement.
My niece went when she was 2yrs old all-be-it the old version but that doesn't really make a difference.
The back row doesn't go up as high if that wo9uld make you feel more comfortable.
There's also a between the leg strap if he doesn't measure up to the indicator or even if he does you could always use it anyways.
You could also hold his hand or put a hand on his knee if that makes you feel more secure.

It just depends on your son. My 3 year just rode it and loved it! No fears at all. But another young child may be scared. My mom is terrified on it... She has rode it twice and said no never again...lol.

Thanks so much for all of the advice and thoughts.
Hhmmm...I'm still on the fence lol.
My son doesn't have special needs but sometimes he is a bit afraid of heights (and other times not...)
He has been on rollercoasters where your feet dangle and was ok on those but the ground was visible and maybe only 20 feet below us.
When I showed him a video of SOARIN he laughed because he thought it was funny that you can see the feet above you dangling and I think this helped him in understanding that it is fake (which makes it less scary I guess). But then he saw the first picture of it on disney's website and freaked out because the "swing" is just randomly flying in the air.
I think I'm going to make the call on the day.

If the 3 of us wait in line and he decides not to ride at the last minute can my husband and I take turns riding while the other waits with my son?

My daughter was 8 her first time, and she didn't really care for it (is scared of heights)- the good news is that since she was right next to me, she was able to bury her face in my arm- I could put my arm around her and help her get through it. Same with FOP in September at age 12- she screamed bloody murder but since she was right next to me I could put my hand over her mouth ;) LOL
The immediate proximity of the child makes me feel much better about attempting the ride just in case they end up not liking it.

YDD is six and she went on it. She said at the end she didn't want to do it again, though. She screamed at the part where it looks like the eagle is flying at you!

For my wuss son it’s not the flying that gets him it’s the shocking transitions between scenes. The new soarin is far more “scary” than the old one, and he will no longer ride it.

OP if your son chickens out at the end just talk to a CM. They can get the person who remains with your son on the ride. My son is seven and he just waits for us outside the ride vehicle area, and we meet him when we are done.

For my wuss son it’s not the flying that gets him it’s the shocking transitions between scenes. The new soarin is far more “scary” than the old one, and he will no longer ride it.

OP if your son chickens out at the end just talk to a CM. They can get the person who remains with your son on the ride. My son is seven and he just waits for us outside the ride vehicle area, and we meet him when we are done.

Thanks for this :) Sorry, just to clarify, when you say "They can get the person who remains with your son the ride" does that mean that a CM waits with him while DH and I ride? or do you mean a CM will help us take turns riding?
Thanks again for your help :)

My six year old went on it this last fall and loved it! I know for sure we went 2 times that night in a row, it might have been 3 and she would have gone again if the line hadn't grown to over a 45 minute wait. She is an adrenaline junkie though and love all roller coasters, the faster the better for her! I agree with the others, you will be sitting right next to him so can comfort if need be. We put my daughter in between us so she had someone she knew on either side if she freaked out but we didn't need to really worry about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!