Is the end coming for the Chase Disney Visa?

Is that from the Chase website? I'm having trouble finding anywhere that the free card gets a $50 statement credit and earns 2% on grocery and gas stations. Everything I'm reading at Chase.com says the free card can earn a $200 Disney gift card after $500 in purchases and it earns 1% on all purchases. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a special promotion that for some reason I can't find. I know if you switch from the free card to the Premier card you get a $50 statement credit the first year and earn 2% on gas, groceries, and restaurant purchases.

Yes you have to go to the Disney Chase Visa website for the specific Disney card perks. Since this is the official Disney approved Chase Visa website, I assume it is OK to share here. And yes, it does get 2% for groceries and gas.

Here is the info from Disney's website:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/visa-card/promotion/

Here is the Disney Rewards site which shows the statement credit of $50:

https://disneyrewards.com/compare-cards/?CELL=60NQ11

The base card only gets 1% on all things. Premier gets 2% on categories listed above, $49 Annual Fee. Sign up bonus for the standard card is either a $200 gift card (targeted) or $50 gift card (standard) after first spend, no minimum amount. For premier the sign up bonus is typically a $150 bill credit with $300 or $500 minimum spend within 30 days (can't recall total minimum spend off the top of my head).

Neither count towards chase's 5 cards in 24 months rule.

I understand that. But the information that the PP posted doesn't indicate those terms and they said it was copied from the Chase website. I was asking where that information came from on the website because I can't find it anywhere. I can only find the terms I'm familiar with (Free card earns 1% rewards, Premier earns 1% on everything other than gas, grocery, & restaurants which earn 2%). I already have the Premier card so it doesn't affect me -- I was just curious if something changed.

Yes you have to go to the Disney Chase Visa website for the specific Disney card perks. Since this is the official Disney approved Chase Visa website, I assume it is OK to share here. And yes, it does get 2% for groceries and gas.

Here is the info from Disney's website:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/visa-card/promotion/

Here is the Disney Rewards site which shows the statement credit of $50:

https://disneyrewards.com/compare-cards/?CELL=60NQ11

I'm not seeing anywhere in either of those links that the free Visa earns the 2%...only the Premier ($49/year) does. It's not listed under the free card benefits and on the comparison charts, the 2% bonus is listed as a Disney Premier Visa exclusive. The only time we ever earned more than 1% with the free card (we've had it since about 6 months after it came out) was when there was a special promotion for a limited/specific amount of time.

I understand that. But the information that the PP posted doesn't indicate those terms and they said it was copied from the Chase website. I was asking where that information came from on the website because I can't find it anywhere. I can only find the terms I'm familiar with (Free card earns 1% rewards, Premier earns 1% on everything other than gas, grocery, & restaurants which earn 2%). I already have the Premier card so it doesn't affect me -- I was just curious if something changed.

No, nothing changed with the base level card, as far as I know. I didn't see in your previous post that you already had it.

Edit: nice to see they boosted the bonus on the Premier card to $200.

It was called the Magic Kingdom Club, nixed in 2001.

Still have my Magic Kingdom Club Card. It was good for discounts but nothing we can't get now anyway.

There was also a Disney Credit Card. It was eliminated when the Chase Visa card started.

My card says Charter Cardmember.

PSA: for those of you already holding the Chase Disney Visa card - if it's been 24 months since you last received a signup bonus you can cancel the card, reapply and earn the $200 gift card again! I'm about to earn my 3rd new cardmember bonus on that card...$600 in the last 5 years! To be safe I wait at least 25 months from when I earned the bonus and then wait a month between cancelling my existing card and reapplying.

EDIT: this same plan also works on the premier card but the $49 annual fee eats away at your return (Net $151 vs. a straight $200 with the regular card).

Be careful with the strategy of closing credit cards on a continual basis. It will have a significantly bad effect on your credit rating.
In most instances this is a completely false statement. The simple act of closing a card has NO affect on your credit rating. A closed card can affect a couple of statistics used in the calculation:

- AAOA (Average Age of Accounts): A closed card will continue to sit on your credit report for 10 years continuing to help your AAOA but eventually will fall off (so this affect is delayed by 10 years). Open and closed accounts age the same. Closing a CC has no affect on average age of accounts or credit history length until the item falls off the report.
- Utilization: A closed card will affect your utilization %, however if you for example have another Chase card and just move the credit limit to that card then that stat won't be affected. Also, if you open a new card right after with a similar or higher credit limit then this stat would actually improve.

See this for more in depth details: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

PSA: for those of you already holding the Chase Disney Visa card - if it's been 24 months since you last received a signup bonus you can cancel the card, reapply and earn the $200 gift card again! I'm about to earn my 3rd new cardmember bonus on that card...$600 in the last 5 years! To be safe I wait at least 25 months from when I earned the bonus and then wait a month between cancelling my existing card and reapplying.

EDIT: this same plan also works on the premier card but the $49 annual fee eats away at your return (Net $151 vs. a straight $200 with the regular card).

Do they give you the same credit line you had before you closed the cardl? It has taken us years to get up to the high limit we have now. Don't know why, because every other card we applied for after the DV gave us that high limit right off the bat. Disney Visa started us at 5k...which is laughable for a Disney branded card.

Do they give you the same credit line you had before you closed the cardl? It has taken us years to get up to the high limit we have now. Don't know why, because every other card we applied for after the DV gave us that high limit right off the bat. Disney Visa started us at 5k...which is laughable for a Disney branded card.
If you have another Chase card you can transfer the limit to that card before closing the Disney card. Then if you get a new card with a low limit you can transfer credit limit to the new card. If you don't have another Chase card then there's no guaranties. On my most recent Disney card approval last week they gave me $15k and it honestly makes no sense with the amount of Credit Chase has already given me.

...and have to mention one thing.... all personal advice.

"Points", "Rewards", "Tokens". "Credits".... For my family? Pretty much crap.

WE tend to use CC providers with solid Web Sites that allow one to track ACTIVITY in real time. That would be CHASE and CAPITAL 1. We really have not found any others. Tried quite a few. We have cancelled cards attached to looser websites.

So - right off, seeing a "cute card"? WHO MANAGES the Card? Pretty sure Amazon uses CHASE. Ally uses a bank in Canada with "Peggy" (poop card). PRIVATE, local banks use whatever service company is cheap....

Why I mention this? Our C1 card got wacked this week by a business we have nothing to do with. C1's response was stunning....
1) Took me 3 minutes to report fraud.
2) Add 2 minutes - card locked, new card on the way, OVERNIGHT.
3) Total refund on bogus transaction within 48 hours.

I have no C1 stock - I don't work for them. Chase is just about the same - IMMEDIATE fraud response.

All personal opinion - "cash back" is nice, but these days? Get a CC from someone that can RESPOND to fraud, quickly. CHASE or C1.

Still have my Magic Kingdom Club Card. It was good for discounts but nothing we can't get now anyway.

There was also a Disney Credit Card. It was eliminated when the Chase Visa card started.

My card says Charter Cardmember.
It offered discount on tickets, even one day tickets, which you can't get now. When fall was the off season, the card offered up to 35% discount on most Disney Resorts.

It offered discount on tickets, even one day tickets, which you can't get now. When fall was the off season, the card offered up to 35% discount on most Disney Resorts.

I don't remember ticket discounts. I still feel like I get decent discounts at hotels. Stayed at POP last week with 30.5% off via AP.

WE tend to use CC providers with solid Web Sites that allow one to track ACTIVITY in real time. That would be CHASE and CAPITAL 1. We really have not found any others. Tried quite a few. We have cancelled cards attached to looser websites.

So - right off, seeing a "cute card"? WHO MANAGES the Card? Pretty sure Amazon uses CHASE. Ally uses a bank in Canada with "Peggy" (poop card). PRIVATE, local banks use whatever service company is cheap....

Why I mention this? Our C1 card got wacked this week by a business we have nothing to do with. C1's response was stunning....

I have no C1 stock - I don't work for them. Chase is just about the same - IMMEDIATE fraud response.

All personal opinion - "cash back" is nice, but these days? Get a CC from someone that can RESPOND to fraud, quickly. CHASE or C1.

ITA. I have been amazed at how fast Chase has caught fraud. I feel very good about using them.

I agree that Chase was SUPER fast to respond when we had fraud on our account. They caught it almost immediately, notified us, shut the card down, re-issued and overnighted a new card, and handled all the fraudulent charges.

We also have a Citibank card, and they've also been great with fraud response. Although they didn't catch it, I did, they handled everything.

It's good to hear that Capital One is doing a good job. We had a card through them several years ago and had an awful experience. Canceled it due to their horrible customer service.

I have the Chase Disney Premier card and it works great for me. I go to Disney at least once a year. I never, ever carry a credit card balance, and I put absolutely everything possible on the card (including many large, reimbursable work expenses that my office lets me charge to my personal card rather than a company card).

Since my last trip less than a year ago, I have earned $1,000+ in reward dollars. This will pay for a big chunk of my upcoming fall trip.

This card gives me 2% where I spend the most, and I personally love having my reward $$ safely stockpiled just for use on my Disney vacations! (Rewards can be used at the Disney store online too, but I like to save it for the vacation.)

I totally get that it's not for everybody - for me it is great! :sunny:

I got the Chase Disney Premier card primarily for the sign-up bonus and perks for our trip to WDW last year. Now I use it for purchases at the Disney store online/in person and for work expenses, to keep them separate from our regular stuff, which works great for us. :)

Someone earlier asked about the Amazon card, it IS managed by Chase, same as Disney. Amazon is our main card, we buy so much stuff on Amazon and it's 5% cash back on those purchases.

I think it really depends on how and how much you use credit cards in general. Is it the best rewards card out there? No. But for our family, it works great. We've had the card *almost* since Day 1 -- I think we got it within about 6 months of it being issued. We charge *everything* to the card (as we did to a Toys 'R Us card prior to getting the Disney Visa). We pay our balance off every month so there is no paying of interest that offsets the rewards dollar benefit. A year or so ago, we changed from the free Disney Visa the Disney Premier Visa so there is a $50 yearly fee (though that got waived the first year). We did some detailed calculations and realized that even with the $50 yearly fee, we earn more than $100 more a year in rewards with this card over the free one because of the 2% rewards for groceries, gas, and restaurants (the major portion of our charges each month). Right now, I have about $1200 in rewards dollars that we've accumulated since last July. Our next trip isn't until June/July 2018 so by the time I have to be paid in full for that trip, I will have accumulated over $2000 in "free" money without really doing anything. About 2 weeks before our PIF date, I'll transfer the rewards dollars to a rewards card. I'll give my travel agent the card number and she'll apply the money towards our balance due. And the rest of the balance will be charged to our Disney Visa to start accruing rewards again for the next trip.

Our family likes to travel to Disney every 2 years (occasionally every year) so this reward card focuses our "free" money towards those trips. We don't travel by air, so an airline rewards card isn't very useful for us. We could get a cash-back card, but we like the few "extra" Disney-focused perks from the Disney Visa -- store discounts, Broadway show discounts, exclusive photo ops, etc. And last week I got an e-mail from Disney Visa offering me the opportunity to do a 20 minute DVC phone tour for a $40 gift card. I've done that one before and my phone call was only 7 minutes long. I'm willing to sit on the phone with a Disney CM for 20 minutes for a $40 gift card. :) ) I know the 6 months free financing on Disney Resort vacations is a big perk for some people, but that's not something we've ever used or ever plan on using. And then there's the character pictures on the cards...my husband gets a lot of comments on his Darth Vader card....it's good for his ego. :D

We do also have the Chase Freedom card and use that for whatever the 5% bonus categories are for the quarter. I take the cash back option and also apply that to our Disney trips. We usually end up with a few hundred dollars in rewards from this card to put towards our Disney trips.

For us, the Disney Visa card is a good fit. But I can see how it's not the best choice for a lot of people.

I'm so glad you mentioned this part about the Chase Freedom card. I never use it since I always use the Disney Visa, but always activate the categories anyway on the Chase Freedom card (or at least I used to....I don't remember doing this recently, but I have an email saying it's been activated). We eat out and go to the movies a lot, so I'm going to start using this card since those are the 5% categories this quarter. I will also apply it to our Disney trips. We will pay it off each month.

We have held the no fee card for about 10 years. When we first got the card, we often got offers for 3-5% back on various categories for a 3 month period.
The points racked up much quicker then.
That seemed to stop after the version with the annual fee came out until the recent 4% back on utilities offer.
If Chase starts bringing back these offers, my card will lose it's dust!
We save the points for dining at the parks, making it feel like "free food" instead of "getting raked over the coals" on food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts