Is the number of Fastpasses offered reduced during less busy times?

ILovePixieDust

DIS Veteran
So I have been watching the Dibb Fastpass Availability tool, Touring Plans Fastpass Availability reports and cross referencing with Touring Plans crowd calendars.

Last week was 60+etc days opening for the week of April 5-11. During that week I could see fairly good availability for FPs for MMRR, MFSR, SDD at HS and even FOP on AK at 60+2, 60+3. Crowd levels estimated for that week are 6,9,9,9,7,6,10.

Then now watching the week of April 12-18 where crowd levels are expected to be somewhat lower at 5,7,7,5,3,4,7 and yet the FP availability is WAY worse. With the top tier HS attractions all gone until almost 60+6.

What gives?
Does Disney reduce the number of fastpasses available when they expect lower crowds? Are touring plans calendars completely off?

Any thoughts or insights on this?

Using crowd calendars to compare to FP availability is a futile effort. There are many things that effect availability and using something like DIBB that gives just a snapshot at a particular moment (and not always an accurate snapshot as I've seen a lot of availability when searching at times when it supposedly wasn't available.

Disney also sometimes reduces ride capacity at lower crowd times. So instead of running both sides of a ride, only one might be operating. Saves money on CM hours, but sucks for guests.

Last edited:

I just booked FP yesterday for arriving April 17. Able to get MMRR for afternoon times on Monday the 21 and 22. (63 &64)

Modify just now, there’s Smugglers Run and Slinky dog still available for the 21st and 22nd. MMRR still available for the evening of the 22.

There is still availability in HS for tier 1 at 60+2

april 12-18th will be higher then those estimates . that is easter weekend into star wars run weekend . it will be 8-10s my guess (im going that period )
Yeah the weeks before an after easter are both crummy. Touring Plans is just wrong..

Using crowd calendars to compare to FP availability is a futile effort. There are many things that effect availability and using something like DIBB that gives just a snapshot at a particular moment (and not always an accurate snapshot as I've seen a lot of availability when searching at times when it supposedly wasn't available.

That is helpful. Thank you!

I just booked FP yesterday for arriving April 17. Able to get MMRR for afternoon times on Monday the 21 and 22. (63 &64)

Modify just now, there’s Smugglers Run and Slinky dog still available for the 21st and 22nd. MMRR still available for the evening of the 22.

There is still availability in HS for tier 1 at 60+2

Thank you for checking! That is good to know that there can be more availability.

I'm not an expert at all on Fastpass +, but I don't think it's directly correlated with crowds. Our dates were considered moderate crowds and we actually had decent availability. It actually kind of shocked me. I was able to get FoP at 60 +4, and had options when it was time to choose. There were even options to modify up until the 30 days, and that's when everything went (I'm assuming those who were off site had begun to book their fastpasses).

I think what that’s telling you is that this year the week after Easter might be busier than the week before. Both of those weeks are traditionally very busy. But it may also only be telling you that on site guests will be more that week. More people staying the week before might be off site so the weeks may be equally busy.

But to answer your original question, the reduced hours and reduced capacity during slower times means there are fewer FPs. But also not as many people trying to get them.

Disney also sometimes reduces ride capacity at lower crowd times. So instead of running both sides of a ride, only one might be operating. Saves money on CM hours, but sucks for guests.
It also reduces wear and tear, which reduces downtime. I think guests would much rather wait a little longer in line than have the ride break down and not get to ride it.

So I have been watching the Dibb Fastpass Availability tool, Touring Plans Fastpass Availability reports and cross referencing with Touring Plans crowd calendars.

Last week was 60+etc days opening for the week of April 5-11. During that week I could see fairly good availability for FPs for MMRR, MFSR, SDD at HS and even FOP on AK at 60+2, 60+3. Crowd levels estimated for that week are 6,9,9,9,7,6,10.

Then now watching the week of April 12-18 where crowd levels are expected to be somewhat lower at 5,7,7,5,3,4,7 and yet the FP availability is WAY worse. With the top tier HS attractions all gone until almost 60+6.

What gives?
Does Disney reduce the number of fastpasses available when they expect lower crowds? Are touring plans calendars completely off?

Any thoughts or insights on this?
The short answer is that no one knows, Disney doesn't release numbers of any kind and any answer you'll get will be pure speculation, so I'm gonna assume you'll get a lot of answers :)

Its true that nobody knows.
It certainly seems like there are fewer FPs available on less busy days, but thats a guess.
Wait times don't seem to be much less on quieter days as they don't run as many vehicles and may only use 1 track instead of both sides.

It also reduces wear and tear, which reduces downtime. I think guests would much rather wait a little longer in line than have the ride break down and not get to ride it.
I'd prefer they run and maintain to the best of their ability as to not inconvenience their paying guests. I don't think that's too much to ask. I can't tell you what a slap in the face it is to sit in a 40 min Pirates line to watch every other boat run empty...cause they're inly operating 1 side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter