Is this a reasonable price? Would you go or skip?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
My parent's friend (who has been on a lot of cruises and used to book cruises for a living and has quite a bit of disposable income) called them with a Hawaiian cruise at a "great price".
its a 15 night from Cali to Hawaii and back. 9 days are at sea. The price only includes the cruise. It does not include excursions or airfare (flying from Buffalo NY to Cali).
Price is $7,789 for 2.

Ur basically paying for an 8 day visit to Hawaii. Are u a “ ship” person... some totally enjoy ship time for all those cruise days.
I’d consider looking at a condo rental on one island and using that as a home base. Perhaps jumping On a short cruise while In Hawaii?
Not sure I’d spend 8 grand on the configuration you have.
Whatever u decide.. Happy travels!

Ur basically paying for an 8 day visit to Hawaii. Are u a “ ship” person... some totally enjoy ship time for all those cruise days.
I’d consider looking at a condo rental on one island and using that as a home base. Perhaps jumping On a short cruise while In Hawaii?
Not sure I’d spend 8 grand on the configuration you have.
Whatever u decide.. Happy travels!

This is for my parents.
Their friend says going to Hawaii and then taking a cruise around Hawaii is "bad".
IDK I think its a bit nuts to spend likely close to $10,000 after all is said and done to spend that many days on a ship besides its my dad's busy time of the year with getting all his remaining croops and mowing lawns and picking up leaves (late October to around Veterans day.)
I just wanted opinions on if the price is really worth it as they must decide by Sunday. Which is another thing that my parents don't do well is having to make good decisions in short periods of time.

FWIW, we just booked a 10-night one-way cruise (Vancouver to Hawaii) for Sep20 for 3 adults in an oceanview for around $4k. However, the verandas and suites ran much, much higher for that cruise. You didn't mention what level stateroom the pricing was for - I wonder if that would make a difference in pricing for your parents.

FWIW, we just booked a 10-night one-way cruise (Vancouver to Hawaii) for Sep20 for 3 adults in an oceanview for around $4k. However, the verandas and suites ran much, much higher for that cruise. You didn't mention what level stateroom the pricing was for - I wonder if that would make a difference in pricing for your parents.
They would have a balcony and that is what they had for their 2 other cruises so they would not want anything less.
The other cruises were to Bermuda and they were from NJ so easy to drive for them.

Last edited:
I think the price is not outrageous compared to other cruises of this type but Im not sure if it’s a good recommendation for your parents. It’s roughly $500/night for food, lodging, and transportation from mainland to Hawaii.

But - flying directly to Hawaii allows for a 10 day vacation to be done (fewer days away) and more flexibility in the dates choosen. Your friend is right that Hawaii cruises departing from there are not a good value, but with a 10 day trip your parents could do some island hopping and pick 2-3 places to visit for a couple of days each using a low cost airline to hop instead of the ship.

We have been to Hawaii 5 or 6 times now and rarely Island hop, but the islands do have a diffeeent feel. My main advice is that the time change can be a drag and plan 10 days there instead of 7-8 if possible.

its an excellent price for a 15 day cruise, assuming you are talking about a balcony cabin.. I wouldn't pay that price for an Oceanview or inside, and it was a suite of some sort it's beyond an excellent price.

I have done NCL around the Islands and found them a great value if you just want a quick overview. For 10K you can fly there and rent a condo on a couple of different islands and experience them unless of course you are about sea days and then that is another animal.

OP here. They decided to go.
The price includes the drink package although they aren't big drinkers but apparently right now the drink package was "complimentary" so even if they decline it the price would not have gone down.
It also includes $300 onboard credit per person so at least they could use it to buy pics or getting their hair done etc.
I believe it also includes all taxes, fees, and gratuities.
Their friend was able to find very reasonable airfare of $331 RT per person.
They have to decide on a hotel for one night.
They also found out they will be at port ALL DAY when they stop so enough time to do an excursion.
It will just be them and this other couple so at least they will have pals to hang out with.
They are getting a balcony but the one downside is they are literally looking directly at lifeboats which is kinda meh when its the same price as rooms with views.
Problem is they were so spoiled with their first couple cruises getting very good deals and having a jr suite that it is hard to pay sooo much more for less luxurious accommodations but really its about how long the cruise is and where it is going that makes it the high price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts