Is this HP camera okay?

lecach

<font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl
HP Photosmart E317 Digital Camera - $98.88

Thats the Walmart black friday price. I can only spend around $100 and would like to get a digital camera for my Mom and stepdad for Christmas. They now have 4 grandchildren and really need one. They dont need any fancy features and this one seems just as good as my Kodak 3.1 megapixel. What do you all think? i dont want to drag myself out of bed that early unless its really worth it.

Here are the stats. It normally sells for $148

Display Screen
1.5" Active Matrix TFT Color LCD 61600 Pixels p-Si (PolySilicon)
Image Sensor
CCD (Charge Coupled Device)
Effective Resolution
4.92 MegaPixels
Image Resolution
2560 x 1920 JPEG
640 x 480 JPEG
Video Resolution
320 x 240 @ 24 fps MPEG-1
File Formats
JPEG
MPEG-1
White Balance Modes

Auto (default)
Manual:
Sun
Shade
Tungsten
Fluorescent

Lens
Lens Type
Focal length: 6.11 (w) (35 mm equivalent: 36.7 mm)
Optical Zoom
Not Applicable
Digital Zoom
4x
Aperture Range
f/2.8 to 6.5
Focus Mode
Auto Focus - TTL
Focus Distance
20" to Infinity Normal Mode
8" to 20" Macro Mode

Exposure
Shutter Speed
15 to 1/1800 Second(s)
Exposure Compensation
3EV in 1/3EV Steps

Flash
Flash Modes

Flash OFF
Anytime Flash
Red-eye Reduction
Flash ON
Night Mode

Flash Range
16.5ft
Flash Recycle Time
6 Second(s)

Viewfinder
Viewfinder Type
LCD

Storage
Internal Memory
16MB
Storage Media

1 x Secure Digital (SD) Card Supported
1 x MultiMediaCard (MMC) Supported

Image Storage

13 x Best Quality JPEG 2560 x 1920 - With 16MB internal memory
18 x JPEG 2560 x 1920 - With 16MB internal memory
125 x JPEG 640 x 480 - With 16MB internal memory

Controls/Indicators
Camera Modes
Shooting Modes:
Auto (default)
Manual:
Macro
Action
Landscape
Portrait
Panorama
Beach
Snow
Sunset

Date/Time Printing
Yes
Self Timer/Remote
10 Second(s) Self-timer

Interfaces/Ports
Interfaces/Ports
1 x USB

Battery Information
Batteries

2 x AA Alkaline Included
2 x AA Lithium Supported
2 x AA NiMH Supported

Physical Characteristics
Dimensions
1.93" Height x 1.13" Width x 3.78" Depth
Weight
0.26 oz - Without battery

Miscellaneous
Package Contents

Photosmart E317 Digital Camera
2 X AA alkaline batteries
USB cable mini-B
Wrist strap
Quick reference poster
Warranty/regulatory information
Software CD
Promotional battery coupon
Accessories guide

You will get a lot of varying opinions on this. With that said, I love the HP Photosmart digital camera that I've had for 4 years. It takes beautiful pictures and I've learned how to use it pretty well. I like the fact that it has internal memory and video capability if I need them. The one problem I see with this particular camera is that it has no optical zoom. Personally, I wouldn't buy a camera without that feature, because I use it even up close. It depends what features your parents would use.

While not having a zoom would bother me, I don't think an older person would care, unless they are very high tech folks. That said it has good specs and should take good pictures,but I couldn't find any examples of the images for this camera. It is a very new camera that has only been on the market about 2 months. And the price at Wal-mart is $50 cheaper than any othe price I could find!

This is one of my favorites taken with my HP camera. It was taken from the top of a trash can. :rotfl:

trashcan.jpg

Not to argue Dan, but i believe that is a copy of HP's press release announcing the E317 camera. I looked and couldn't find a review at dpreview.

Thank you, Dan. It's a real compliment coming from you. I recently enjoyed some of your photos as well. I also wanted to tell you I know now why you like the S/D so much - we really enjoyed our Dolpin stay last month, too. :goodvibes

It would bother me not having an optical zoom too.

i agree Hp camrea's are very nice they do get the job done, i personally preffer Cannon for a cmera

however when it comes to printing the only way to go is the HP photosmart series

I dont know this particular HP camera but loved loved loved my HP850 until it died. It took amazing pics.

I too have to second the no zoom thing....I would lose my mind. Love to zoom. But as you say some people never really have so they wouldnt' miss it.

If I get around to it I will post some of my shots from my HP tomorrow. I now have the Rebel XT and sometimes still miss the HP...it was a good friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter