Issue with Camera Autofocus

figment_jii

DIS Veteran
I noticed my Nikon D5300 doing something kind of odd recently (I can't remember when it started, but I don't think it's always done that). It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes the image in the viewfinder appears to kind of jump when using the autofocus. It's kind of hard to explain, but the image appears to move slightly up and to the left for a moment and then go back to where it was. I know the autofocus motor is in the lens. Is this a sign that the autofocus motor is having problems and needs to be serviced/repaired/replaced? Or is this something with the camera body? Thanks in advance for any information.

I noticed my Nikon D5300 doing something kind of odd recently (I can't remember when it started, but I don't think it's always done that). It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes the image in the viewfinder appears to kind of jump when using the autofocus. It's kind of hard to explain, but the image appears to move slightly up and to the left for a moment and then go back to where it was. I know the autofocus motor is in the lens. Is this a sign that the autofocus motor is having problems and needs to be serviced/repaired/replaced? Or is this something with the camera body? Thanks in advance for any information.

it may be that particular lens 'image stabilization' or as nikon calls it VR vibration reduction.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

It's a Nikon 18-55mm VR lens, so it does have the VR feature. I just don't recall it happening before, but if that's normal then I won't worry. Thanks!

It's perfectly normal with vibration reducing technology. I also had a 18-55mm with VR lens, but I've since changed to a vintage body-driven AF Nikkor 35-75mm when I upgraded to full-frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!