It Was The Best of Times, It Was The Worst of Times -- A 2018 Training Journal* Updated 9/27

As much as I think a 70.3 sounds a little nutty (that's a lot of running, biking, and swimming), if your goal is to do one in 2018, then do it! It's now or never - go for it!

Whatever you decide, we can celebrate your accomplishment (and @mbwhitti's marathon) in NYC the next weekend! (I promise, if you've got time for me while you're here, I'll give up my hermit lifestyle for a little bit and we can hang out.)

So the three of us are doing this? :)

I vote ... YES!!

As much as I think a 70.3 sounds a little nutty (that's a lot of running, biking, and swimming), if your goal is to do one in 2018, then do it! It's now or never - go for it!

Whatever you decide, we can celebrate your accomplishment (and @mbwhitti's marathon) in NYC the next weekend! (I promise, if you've got time for me while you're here, I'll give up my hermit lifestyle for a little bit and we can hang out.)

I think I'm going to start adding in an extra swim and cycle to my current training plan as if I'm going to do the 70.3, but I'm going to wait until after my night race to make the decision I think.

But you know I'm always down to hang out!!

22 Weeks To Go - Here We Go!

While I still remain undecided on what fall race I'm going to do (MCM or Ironman 70.3 Waco), it's about time to start getting into a consistent training schedule.

My next upcoming race is July 8 (also, maybe July 9 as well, but more on that later!) - the Hell's Half Acre 25K! HHA25K is one of three races at this event, and they all start at 10 p.m. - you can run a 5K, a 25K or a 50K ... one, five or 10 5K loops around downtown and down by the river in Fort Worth. My plan is to max out around 11-12 miles for a long run before that race, mostly because I have no time aspirations for this one and am looking forward to doing it more for the experience! I have three friends doing the 50K, so we're planning to have a fun set-up for spectators and stuff in the parking lot where we Start/End our loops.

Either way - if I've done my :teacher: correct, I'll be looking at the week of the 25K being Week 1 of the Matt Fitzgerald 70.3 training plan, or Week 3 of the Higdon Intermediate 2 Marathon plan, which is a good a time as any to have a race event and then launch into a longer training program.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, before I go into the plan I'm going with and Week Zero v1.0 - just a little bit about my mindset and theory for this lengthy training cycle, along with a few explainers for items you'll see show up repeatedly on my weekly plans:

1. I don't really go into any endeavor with a true time goal, it's mostly about just building up miles and finishing a training cycle healthy (which, to be honest, it's been a hot minute since I've had an injury-free training cycle ...). The same will go for this training cycle, at least in the beginning, until I make a decision on a fall race. If it ends up being the 70.3, the goal will be finish. If it ends up being MCM, the goal will most DEFINITELY be time-related.
  2. Currently, I plan to ride two "no drop" rides a week with bike groups in town. Wednesday night is a more 'serious' ride with the BTBC - we go a minimum of 20, but not more than 30. On Sundays, it's a more casual ride with the Night Riders - this one is usually more urban, shorter (13 miles max) and involves at least one stop at a bar/brewery and a "hobo stop" where we can buy water/beer from a charity group and they pocket the money as a donation.
  3. Long Ride will currently stay as my "Team Ride" during the week with BTBC, but if I go the Waco route will likely move into that Saturday ride position. There are five other members of BTBC that are training for IM Chattanooga, IM 70.3 Waco or both races so we will start doing longer rides together on Saturdays. These won't exactly be "no drop" rides like the Wednesday ride, but at least they won't be solo.
  4. I'm already leaning towards the 70.3 because I really don't want to train for a marathon in the summer OR exclusively on a treadmill. It's already in the "Feels Like" 100s here in Fort Worth - at least since Friday. It's 12:30 CT right now and it's still 90 degrees outside. I woke up yesterday to run at 6:00 a.m. and it was already a "Feels Like" temperature of 88. So, it's hot and it's not getting any better. I know ... but the 70.3 training will have max runs of 10-12 miles, and I can suck it up outside long enough for that.
  5. Current times: 1:48/100yd for the swim, 16.8 mph on the bike, 10:54/mile for the run.
Here it is! Week Zero v1.0:

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 11.52.02 PM.png

So ... the next couple of weeks are going to be pretty similar to this, with some increases (swimming will be most noticeable as it jumps to 1000yds for all swim sessions). The Sunday swim is a crapshoot - that's group swim, so I just put a basic field in there and will adjust after I have data.

Monday is ALWAYS going to be an off day. Why? Because I hate Mondays. They are legit the worst.

Timed rides will be done on the trainer at my house (via TrainerRoad), distance rides will always be outdoors ... because, really - what's the point of riding a bike if you aren't going outdoors to deal with the elements? Frankly, I'd prefer to do ALL my rides outside but because I have other cycling goals in the future, this is important to me to advance my cycling ability.

That plan looks awesome and terrifying at the same time! Good luck with it all, and I vote for the 70.3

All I can say is I need to get back on my bike!

I've really enjoyed working in more cycling into my workout routine, as well as joining up with a couple of local bike clubs.

My only problem - WHY IS CYCLING GEAR SO DANG UGLY?!?!? We just ordered our BTBC kits and ... ugh. I only got a jersey because, well, it's just a lot of look ...

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.53.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.53.54 PM.png

Same. I feel like such a slacker after looking at that plan.

Well, don't feel like a slacker just yet ... I don't anticipate all of these little boxes turning green this week (or every week), mostly because I have things I need to do this week that will take away quite a bit of my free time. But I'm gonna give it a good try!

That plan looks awesome and terrifying at the same time! Good luck with it all, and I vote for the 70.3

The weights are going to be the real thing I have to figure out - I'd like to pair them with swim days, because I have to go to the gym to swim anyway ... but since my swim workouts are going to end up being so much more arm than leg, I'd hate to go lift and then swim and have it affect my swim time.

I vote Ironman!!

Love the new training plan also!

Thanks! I hope I'm not trying to do TOO much, though yoga will likely be the first thing that goes "Red" because I just put it on there since my girlfriend (a new yogi) is teaching on those days, and its ultimately going to depend on whether the times (AKA not 8 a.m.) work out for me.

WOO. Go girl. I am voting for that Ironman, too.

My pals and I talked about it quite a bit at the pool yesterday. I've got two friends that are training for IM Chattanooga and one that is going to train for IM 70.3 Waco, so I'd have some people in my close social (and training) circle here in FW that I would be able to train with. I really didn't even start to think about it until I became active with the new bike club in town ... it's amazing what you think you want to do when you don't have to go out and do all the training by yourself. On the other hand, MCM will be completely solo training.

If not this year, definitely next year - probably Haines City in April if the dates work. We shall see ...

Yeah that bike jersey is ugly. I have a few that are better but nothing cute yet. I know the biking will help but for the rest June we are spending our weekends in the mountain so we can hike. They have great biking but am not ready to climb mountains on the bike.

Reason why I won't cycle, only spinning for me. Although, there was talk that Lululemon was going to come out with a line for cycling.

I have a couple of tops from Pearl Izumi that aren't totally unfortunate ... but I'm a gal that only wears black, grey, white and denim - so colors and crazy patterns are REALLY out of my comfort zone.

I have a couple of tops from Pearl Izumi that aren't totally unfortunate ... but I'm a gal that only wears black, grey, white and denim - so colors and crazy patterns are REALLY out of my comfort zone.
Totally unfortunate is how I would describe most cycling gear. I usually end up using a running top. I don't mind patterns or colors but Pepto Bismol Pink is not my jam.
Well, don't feel like a slacker just yet ... I don't anticipate all of these little boxes turning green this week (or every week), mostly because I have things I need to do this week that will take away quite a bit of my free time. But I'm gonna give it a good try!
This week is my last two races for a few weeks so after that I hopefully will be able to dedicate more time to cycling. Your training plan has definitely inspired me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!