It's Cheaper to Do This than That Thread

for the most part-buying a movie when it comes out on dvd/Blu-ray vs dh and I seeing it in the theatre.

ymmv but for us-it's at minimum 2 gallons of gas to travel to/from the movie theatre. combo that with 2 tickets which at their cheapest matinee still runs $7 each. if I can get the movie for no more than $20 on amazon prime i'm at worst breaking even but I can rewatch it again and again. if I get a good deal-like this week "Dunkirk" for $10, I've saved 50% of the cost (and I get the special feature documentaries which I enjoy watching).

for the most part-buying a movie when it comes out on dvd/Blu-ray vs dh and I seeing it in the theatre.

ymmv but for us-it's at minimum 2 gallons of gas to travel to/from the movie theatre. combo that with 2 tickets which at their cheapest matinee still runs $7 each. if I can get the movie for no more than $20 on amazon prime i'm at worst breaking even but I can rewatch it again and again. if I get a good deal-like this week "Dunkirk" for $10, I've saved 50% of the cost (and I get the special feature documentaries which I enjoy watching).

To me not having DVDs cluttering up the house is worth waiting for them to come out on Netflix. Make sure you check when they will be released if you are getting tired of waiting! I finally caved and rented a Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2 awhile back and then it was on Netflix the next week. Urgh always check when the movie will be streaming free before you rent!

Anyway I got rid of thousands of books, DVDs and CDs I’d been hoarding over the years. Mainly books. I used to have stacks of them in every room. I can find almost anything I want to watch, read or listen to for a small fee or FREE on the Internet.

This makes it so much easier to stay in a smaller home instead of upsizing because you need room for your “stuff”. I’m not getting rid of my huge closet full of Christmas ornaments, my Chinese blue and white porcelains, my antique or signed hardback books or all the family photos but little bits of plastic CDs and DVDS or paperback books I have no sentimental attachment to? Bye-bye.

This might not work for everyone but it was a game changer for me.

I buy the large bags of dried kidney beans, soak them overnight, drain, add fresh water and cook the following day. Then I divide this large pot of kidney beans into freezer bags, putting about 2 cups in each, label, date, and freeze. When I need a can of kidney beans, I take a bag out of the freezer. Each bag costs a few cents, compared with the cost of canned, and almost as convenient. This will work for any type of bean you prefer.
this. Except I have the instant pot, and dried beans take less than 30 minutes to be ready to eat in that baby.... Best dried bean cooker I've ever used,(I used to fail regularly at dried beans before this)

I used to read frugal message boards - there was quite a contingent that made their own laundry soap. It sounded pretty expensive TBH.

Yeah, the craziest thing to me was always how much detergent they claimed to use (which, of course, justified the cost savings of making your own). I put my detergent into a pretty soap dispenser and put several pumps into each load. A small container of detergent probably lasts me an entire year or more. (Family of 5, clothes are always clean despite not using cups full of detergent)

I buy the large bags of dried kidney beans, soak them overnight, drain, add fresh water and cook the following day. Then I divide this large pot of kidney beans into freezer bags, putting about 2 cups in each, label, date, and freeze. When I need a can of kidney beans, I take a bag out of the freezer. Each bag costs a few cents, compared with the cost of canned, and almost as convenient. This will work for any type of bean you prefer.

This sounds great for me because DH has to watch sodium, too. Canned stuff can really be high in it!

Yeah, the craziest thing to me was always how much detergent they claimed to use (which, of course, justified the cost savings of making your own). I put my detergent into a pretty soap dispenser and put several pumps into each load. A small container of detergent probably lasts me an entire year or more. (Family of 5, clothes are always clean despite not using cups full of detergent)

Hmm... that makes me wonder... we use a crazy expensive detergent because it is the only one that doesn't make my LO's eczema flare up. My (lovely) DH is in charge of all the laundry - I wonder how much he is using per load and if we could get away with using less... I try to stay out of how he does laundry (because he does it and I hate to do it), but this might be worth a conversation.

Hmm... that makes me wonder... we use a crazy expensive detergent because it is the only one that doesn't make my LO's eczema flare up. My (lovely) DH is in charge of all the laundry - I wonder how much he is using per load and if we could get away with using less... I try to stay out of how he does laundry (because he does it and I hate to do it), but this might be worth a conversation.
My washer is a front load one. On the detergent cup for the washer there is a min and max line for filling up. I fill my up to the min part unless I've got a lot of clothes or the clothes are especially dirty and at that point I add more but I don't think I've ever put in the max. Anywho I don't want to risk using any less than what fills up to the min line for fear it will cause issues if I did that enough. I haven't used the detergent lid for measuring since I got the front load washer.

o.k.-this one works best at Halloween but can be applied what with valentine's day and easter coming up as well. I buy the packages of individually packaged mini packages of non candy snacks. when my kids were in school they got the mini packs of stuff like fruit treats and such put into their lunches (less expensive than the larger traditionally sold unit packs) but now I get them for myself to use for portion control on dieting. it's much less expensive and more enjoyable for me to eat a 70 calorie mini bag of chocolate covered pretzels or cheese puffs vs. the overpriced south beach diet size packages (and it's an even better deal when you can get the stuff on clearance).
And it stays fresher too. My kids prefer me to get the big box of little Cheez it packs at BJ's than bigger boxes because they don't go stale. It's a little more at the outset but it beats throwing away unused food that nobody is eating.

My mom started using just a few squirts of detergent because her hi-tech washing machine would sense the soap and just keep rinsing and rinsing. If she used a “normal” amount of detergent it would take 2+hours to do one load.

I was worried it would be too little before I tried it, but the clothes always come out clean and smelling fresh. I have been doing this for years (two different washing machines).

My mom started using just a few squirts of detergent because her hi-tech washing machine would sense the soap and just keep rinsing and rinsing. If she used a “normal” amount of detergent it would take 2+hours to do one load.

I was worried it would be too little before I tried it, but the clothes always come out clean and smelling fresh. I have been doing this for years (two different washing machines).
That's nuts. If I use the delicate cycle it's like 24minutes for example with the min level the clothes come out clean, free of suds and a lot more dry compared to all other non-front load washers. I'd say your mom's washer was either malfunctioning or it was a design flaw.

Yes, we eat a lot of black beans and I was going through cans and cans. With my Instant Pot and a bag of dried beans it is quick and so much less waste! We also eat a lot of yogurt and milk is still cheap here (.99 to 1.68) so I make a gallon batch in the instant pot. I strain it for greek yogurt, add good fruit preserves and the savings over the $1 yogurts or even the large tubs is huge. I t really tastes better too.

Reactions: MEM

We cut WAY back on detergent after we got our HE machine. I buy powdered Tide and a box lasts about a year. DH does the laundry and he puts about a teaspoon of detergent in the machine per load.

Check around smaller movie theaters for cheaper prices. The AMC where my DD goes to college has 4.49 daytime shows and 6.69 evenings. She has a Stubbs card so she can upsize her snacks and her friends all share the price. It’s a cheap night out. The amc close to us is over 10.00 for an evening show.

There is an older theater that has current movies for 2.00 on bargain night, 3.00 matinees and 5.00 evenings plus bargain snacks.

Nacho cheese. I make it super cheap and way healthier than I can buy at the store. We love nachos in my house!

We do this in my house. We have dinner plates and luncheon plates (Corel) and only use the smaller luncheon plates 90% of the time. DS10 can eat a lot but often his eyes are bigger than his stomach. Using the smaller plates and telling him he can go back for a second helping has drastically reduced the amount of food that gets scraped in the trash and leaves more food available for leftovers for lunches and future dinners

Why would you let him regularly throw out food? I would have made him put it in his thermos for lunch the next day.

I agree! Most people use 'way' too much detergent just because the directions say to use X amt. Lots of that can stay in your clothes - doesn't get them any cleaner!!

If something is extra soiled, just rub a small amt. on that spot (garment). I actually use Dawn for that - works great!

Wow, never heard of that, and I have a fairly hi tech front loader myself. What kind does she have? As a pp said, something seems to be malfunctioning. I use the 'quick load' cycle (32min) for nearly everything, and get very clean clothes (use much less detergent that called for also).

[QUOTENacho cheese. I make it super cheap and way healthier than I can buy at the store. We love nachos in my house!][/QUOTE]

Recipe please!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter