it's done - i cancelled our 3 week summer 2021 trip.....with what's happening with covid, we didn't feel confident enough to hold out any longer...

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
as some of you know, i live in Israel.
the estimated vaccine timeline for us is not encouraging in terms of being able to travel overseas in summer 2021.
the estimated timeline for the vaccine here in israel is:
stage 1 - 1st half of 2021: medical staff, high risk people, elderly
stage 2 - 2nd half of 2021: essential workers, teachers, pregnant women
stage 3 - unknown timeline: everyone else

i think our big 3 week trip in july/august to WDW is in doubt. I guess i was overly optimistic when i booked the rooms.

I'm not convinced a vaccine is necessary I'd hold off until next year.

i'm definitely holding off.
this timeline may turn out to be overly pessimistic.
Perhaps other vaccines will come online besides pfizer and moderna.
But without a vaccine, i don't think we can afford the medical travel insurance to the US.
but obviously we'll wait to decide.
Still, it's depressing.

Last edited:
Bear in mind we are currently going into the expected winter peak. As with this summer just gone, next year should see a big drop in 'difficulties' once the weather turns warmer, so travel, with precautions, will likely be possible during the summer.

This winter is a bust but hopefully there will be enough vaccine extant by autumn 2021 to have a relatively normal winter 21/22.

my son just raised the issue in the family whatsapp.....
seems we're going to postpone the big family trip (son/daughter in law/grandkids, daughter/son in law, DH and me) to 2022...
my daughter and son in law will probably still go this summer, unless the travel insurance is beyond their financial reach..
i'll rent out our DVC points from 2020 that i banked to 2021....
my only problem is going to be the borrowed DVC points...i wonder if they'll let me put them back into 2022....
here's hoping..

i just checked the 3 major insurance companies here regarding travel medical insurance.
They are not selling coverage for the USA at all right now.
So maybe even my daughter won't be able to go.

By the way, only the USA isn't covered. All other countries are covered.
So it seems we'll have to wait until this is in the rear view mirror.

When I had to cancel my March 2020 trip, my insurance did not cover Pandemic. Are Insurance Companies covering that now?

again, i'm in israel...
of the companies here that i checked, they'll cover for covid related issues (e.g., you had to cancel because you had a fever when you got to the airport)...
they'll cover for travel to everywhere in the world, but not the USA.

Are Insurance Companies covering that now?
It's complicated - but then insurance always is :-)

At a short reading (when travel actually looks more possible I'll get into it properly) mine appears to not cover things like cancellation due to pandemic illness. But if you are able and allowed to travel but become sick with [e.g. Covid19] while abroad they will cover the treatment for that like other medical cover.
And I'm sure some companies will provide pandemic cover as an optional, extra cost add-on.

If the vaccines do prove effective then that will change things again - expect to find certain cover contingent on you having had one of them; possibly one approved by the insurers.

It's complicated - but then insurance always is :-)

At a short reading (when travel actually looks more possible I'll get into it properly) mine appears to not cover things like cancellation due to pandemic illness. But if you are able and allowed to travel but become sick with [e.g. Covid19] while abroad they will cover the treatment for that like other medical cover.
And I'm sure some companies will provide pandemic cover as an optional, extra cost add-on.

If the vaccines do prove effective then that will change things again - expect to find certain cover contingent on you having had one of them; possibly one approved by the insurers.

Thats exactly what mine said, they wouldn't cover cancellation but would cover medical even Covid while abroad. It is an annual policy though dunno if that is why.

Summer 2021 is a long way off. I would wait before cancelling. If you are booking on dvc points just watch your banking window so you do not miss it.

Summer 2021 is a long way off. I would wait before cancelling. If you are booking on dvc points just watch your banking window so you do not miss it.
we have a june use year, so banking isn't an issue..
though i will have to rent out all the points i banked from 2020...
the bigger issue are all the points i borrowed from 2022...
summer isn't that far off..
the UK might have a better vaccine timeline than we do, since moderna will also be manufactured in Europe..
but from what i see, our timeline is pretty stretched out..
the kids won't get a vaccine until the second half of the year..

We are booked for april 2021, and are basically just waiting for tui to cancel for us as then we get the money back. A shame as this was a rebook from this year but it cant be helped. We've gone and bought a caravan instead because we will probably just do that and the occasional hol abroad.

Thats exactly what mine said, they wouldn't cover cancellation but would cover medical even Covid while abroad. It is an annual policy though dunno if that is why.
Mine is a trip policy, so it's not that.

I can see the logic in the cover actually.
The chances of actually coming down with Covid19 and needing significant medical treatment for it aren't that high. It will be greater for older and pre-existing conditions people who the insurers will know about and charge more for or refuse to cover.
OTOH the risk of cancellation is very high by comparison, because airlines and travel companies aren't a great thing to bet on at present and/or a single government directive can knock thousands of trips into the long grass at no notice.

When I had to cancel my March 2020 trip, my insurance did not cover Pandemic. Are Insurance Companies covering that now?
Mine was renewed in September, for £39 worldwide. It does cover being stuck overseas because of Covid, hotel etc, but, not the actual illness medical costs, which is fair enough. I am looking at DLRP for March if a decent offer comes up and DL and WDW for just after Thanksgiving 2021.

Mine was renewed in September, for £39 worldwide. It does cover being stuck overseas because of Covid, hotel etc, but, not the actual illness medical costs, which is fair enough. I am looking at DLRP for March if a decent offer comes up and DL and WDW for just after Thanksgiving 2021.

so what happens if you end up in the hospital in the US with covid?
you won't have coverage?
are you covered for everything else besides covid?

Thankfully we have nothing booked for next year. We have no interest in booking US or a cruise til at least 2022. I wouldn't be confident for you summer 2021 but like you say hold off for now and see how it goes next year.

Thankfully we have nothing booked for next year. We have no interest in booking US or a cruise til at least 2022. I wouldn't be confident for you summer 2021 but like you say hold off for now and see how it goes next year.
we'll book for 2022 when we get to 11 months (DVC timeline).....seems forever and day in the future, but it will roll around eventually...
this summer, we'll vacation without getting on an airplane....not the mouse, but still fun...

Hi

I would suggest you check the insurance advice given on here (including this reply) our insurance clearly says we are covered, if we travel to a country NOT on the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office list of travel advice countries. So I take from that our policy is valid if the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office say we can.

I've just had a quick Google and the first company I came to says this on their landing page:

If you are booking a policy to cover you for travel during a Government imposed lockdown then this policy will not cover you.

If you have told us that you are resident in an affected area we will contact you post-purchase to discuss your options, but we must remind you that you will not be covered for travel during a regional or national lockdown (England: between the dates of the 5th November and the 3rd December 2020). The end date may change if there are further extensions to the lockdowns imposed by the Government.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Cover Update: Our policies cover Trip Cancellation, Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses, if you are affected by COVID-19 (coronavirus).

Cover only applies if the FCDO have not advised against all or all but essential travel to your destination. Currently the FCDO advises against travel to certain destinations such as; Spain (including Balearic Islands), France, USA, South & Central America, Africa, Central Asia and China. Please see gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice for full details.

If the FCDO has advised against all but essential travel: Add our European FCDO Travel Advice Extension to validate your cover. In that case the COVID-19 Cover will apply before you travel, but you will not be covered for COVID-19 or the reason behind the FCDO travel advice whilst travelling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter