It's Good to be a Passholder :-) - a January 2020 Trip Report

My husband and I did the penguin tour a few years ago and we both absolutely loved it! It was so random - we were feeding the sea lions and got talking to a park employee. My husband mentioned how much I love penguins and she told us about the penguin tour (and gave us a coupon for a hefty discount!) It was a quiet day in the park so the next tour had availability and we were able to join. Since it was last minute, we didn’t have jackets (which definitely would have made the experience more enjoyable) but the tour was amazing. It was a great mix of information/education and up close time with the penguins. I got extra lucky as we had two penguins come in to interact with us (a gentoo named Skyla and a king named Whopper). And like you, our guide was amazing with photos. He got several great shots of my husband and I with the penguins, like the one below, and wasn’t intimidated by my DSLR camera – some people are baffled if you hand them anything other than an iphone for photos! Even though I got a discount on the tour, I wouldn’t hesitate to pay full price to do it again. I’ve done a lot of tours and behind-the-scenes experiences at various parks and zoos but this was definitely one of my favorites. Glad you had such a great experience too, Caspian is beautiful!

HbbTP0Nh.jpg

Slowpoke!! Ugh, I always forget about her! Thank you for correcting my error......I knew you would know one way or the other.

I was shocked when I saw that the pet show has been given the axe. I am trying to keep a positive outlook, though, because every time the park has cancelled a beloved show or attraction (like Blue Horizons or Shamu's Happy Harbor), they've always come through with something even better. So.....much as I'm sad that we didn't make the time to see that show one final time when we were there in January, I will hold out hope that there will be a fun new experience in store instead. Though I am not sure how they will retrofit that theatre with the seats so close together.......post Covid-19 theme parks will look very different, I think.
I think they just wont' have a show in that theater until we don't have to distance anymore. I'm guessing that's why it was the one canceled since it's the only one indoors with lots of laughter. Luckily the other shows are pretty much open air.

Fun fact: many of the SeaWorld animal care staff take the babies home with them to raise up until they are ready to be introduced to the exhibit. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE? We heard a few fun stories about the reactions of these staffers existing pets to their new foster sibling......I can only imagine how my cats would behave if a tiny penguin chick came waddling into the living room!!
OMG how fun!! Wonder how the chickens would react to a penguin??
What an awesome tour! Dang it, guess I'm gonna be on the lookout for Seaworld passes now!
Have you done the Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom? That was a tour we got a ridiculously great discount on (thanks to a CM in the family) but it's one I think even full (hefty) price it would be worth it. Sounds like this tour is the same quality. I can only imagine how ornery the lil guys are gonna be when they finally get adoring audiences back again :rotfl2:

I think they just wont' have a show in that theater until we don't have to distance anymore. I'm guessing that's why it was the one canceled since it's the only one indoors with lots of laughter. Luckily the other shows are pretty much open air.

it's run by an outside company. so it's possible that company ended the contract with SW

What a wonderful adventure you are having at SeaWorld! Real life intruded (pesky work -- don't get me wrong, I realize it is blessing and privilege to work from home) and I was on a work, sleep, work some more schedule. Able to restore a little balance this weekend, and so much fun to dive back into your entertaining and informative TR! I for one appreciate all the effort and details you provide, thank you so much for allowing us to come along on your amazing vacation! :thanks:

As a SeaWorld pro, do you think Black Friday is the best time to buy tickets? You know I always think of a question :blush:

My husband and I did the penguin tour a few years ago and we both absolutely loved it! It was so random - we were feeding the sea lions and got talking to a park employee. My husband mentioned how much I love penguins and she told us about the penguin tour (and gave us a coupon for a hefty discount!) It was a quiet day in the park so the next tour had availability and we were able to join. Since it was last minute, we didn’t have jackets (which definitely would have made the experience more enjoyable) but the tour was amazing. It was a great mix of information/education and up close time with the penguins. I got extra lucky as we had two penguins come in to interact with us (a gentoo named Skyla and a king named Whopper). And like you, our guide was amazing with photos. He got several great shots of my husband and I with the penguins, like the one below, and wasn’t intimidated by my DSLR camera – some people are baffled if you hand them anything other than an iphone for photos! Even though I got a discount on the tour, I wouldn’t hesitate to pay full price to do it again. I’ve done a lot of tours and behind-the-scenes experiences at various parks and zoos but this was definitely one of my favorites. Glad you had such a great experience too, Caspian is beautiful!

HbbTP0Nh.jpg

What an adorable pic!!!

We have done a handful of SeaWorld & Busch Gardens tours now, mostly at some sort of promotional price or discount, and we seriously haven't been disappointed in a single one. And in most cases, we'd gladly pay full price for them if a discount was not offered for some reason....they have all been THAT good. How lucky that you got double the penguin love on your specific tour!!!

I love the up-close tour! I got to meet Whopper and Skyla, and they were just the cutest (I definitely would do the tour again)

Sounds like Whopper is a popular guy! It must be fun for the trainers to watch the animals grow, and be able to pick out "Yup, that guy over there, he's going to be one of our Tour penguins!" just based on their personalities.

I really hope they figure out a way to use that building for something. C'mon SeaWorld, don't let me down!!

OMG how fun!! Wonder how the chickens would react to a penguin??
What an awesome tour! Dang it, guess I'm gonna be on the lookout for Seaworld passes now!
Have you done the Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom? That was a tour we got a ridiculously great discount on (thanks to a CM in the family) but it's one I think even full (hefty) price it would be worth it. Sounds like this tour is the same quality. I can only imagine how ornery the lil guys are gonna be when they finally get adoring audiences back again :rotfl2:

How bad could it be? They're both birds, right? ;-) Just be sure to video tape the introduction so the rest of us can enjoy the experience with you! LOL

I think you might see a great rate on SW passes on Black Friday if this pandemic closure goes on much longer. They haven't offered AP's on Black Friday for the last couple of years (except for one last opportunity to buy before a price increase went into effect) but I fear this year might be the season for deals, just to lure folks back to the park. If that's the case, definitely buy them! And book a tour! LOL

We haven't done the Wild Africa Trek at AK yet but it looks AMAZING. In fact, we've ever only been to AK once, and that was wayyyyy back in 2009. It was Steve and Jake's favorite park that trip (our first visit to Florida) so I'm not sure why we never went back. While we've been to MK and Epcot multiple times over the years, AK and DHS have been a once only for us.

Well that cheered me up this evening, delighted to see you back writing trip reports!!

Glad to have you reading along!! Welcome back!!

What a wonderful adventure you are having at SeaWorld! Real life intruded (pesky work -- don't get me wrong, I realize it is blessing and privilege to work from home) and I was on a work, sleep, work some more schedule. Able to restore a little balance this weekend, and so much fun to dive back into your entertaining and informative TR! I for one appreciate all the effort and details you provide, thank you so much for allowing us to come along on your amazing vacation! :thanks:

As a SeaWorld pro, do you think Black Friday is the best time to buy tickets? You know I always think of a question :blush:

Ah, I hear ya. I head back to the office tomorrow......while Michigan is still shut down up to and including the 28th, I was deemed essential way back at the beginning of this mess so its time for me to help prep for our eventual reopening in 2 weeks. I am going to miss my lazy morning coffees and all the time I've been spending outside! I will also have to work MUCH harder at keeping on this trip report!

Thank you for your kind words, they really do mean a lot. I sometimes think I'm rambling along too much, but I leave it to you guys to skip all my yattering and just review the pics if you think I'm being verbose. Mainly you just get a hodgepodge of all the stuff that's rattling around inside my head.

What kind of tickets were you looking for? Multi-day/multi-park, or annual passes? Black Friday has historically had some pretty sweet offers (not so much on AP's over the past few years, but definitely on single day or 2-day tickets) but with all the economic turmoil this year, I'm really not sure what BF 2020 will bring. It's bound to go one of two ways: either they offers will be FABULOUS to lure people into the park for the 4th quarter, or they will be lacking as they can't afford to sell off their product at a cheaper price due to the losses they've posted this spring. I'm hoping for the former.

Here is the Disboards thread from last year that details the 2019 offers, if you want to check it out:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2019-sea-world-parks-blue-friday-discussion-info-thread.3777279/
It will at least help you get a feel for what times of discounts *might* be forthcoming in November.

Monday, January 27th: SeaWorld, continued

After the conclusion of our penguin tour, we headed to the Waterway Grill for a bite to eat on our all day dining plan.

The Waterway Grill was re-imagined when Infinity Falls debuted in fall 2018. This whole area underwent an incredible metamorphosis which saw an updated theme, expanded landscaping, and a complete overhaul of the menu available here (as well as a new restaurant name). There are lots of unique foods here that aren't available at the other locations around the park......things like pan-seared tofu, black beans & rice, empanadas, and plantains. While *I'm* definitely not the most adventurous eater, Steve enjoys some variety so we wanted to give it a try for the first time.

I was a bit relieved to find they had chicken tenders and waffle fries as one of the entree items, so that was my safe and dependable pick for our mid-day meal (phew!!). Steve's keen sense of smell had picked up the scent of fire and beef, so he had a grilled churrasco steak with an amazon salad.

Everything was really good, and the only complaint we could really offer was that the steak was a bit more done than he requested.....but it wasn't tough and he said it was still pretty tasty. Not the finest cut of steak either, of course, but as good as a person can expect at a quick-service theme park location. Just the fact that SeaWorld offers a quick service restaurant that serves steak rates pretty high in our books!

Steve skipped dessert (he was pretty full after his salad, steak, and the balance of my waffle fries and tenders that I didn't want to eat) but I was smart and saved room for this little darling:

This cookie dough cupcake was one of the dessert options on the dining plan, and we didn't see it at any other location in the park. I'm a cookie dough lover at the best of times, so this was a must try.

The cupcake was really good (nice and moist) and the cookie dough was SUPER rich. It was a heavy dessert, and pretty sizeable considering it was "just a cupcake", so I couldn't manage to eat the whole thing at one sitting (though Lord knows I tried LOL). Steve had a few bites as well, but the last little bit we ended up tossing into the trash: sweet tooth or not, there's only so much richness I can tolerate at one time, and I didn't want to over-indulge and then feel gross all afternoon. What I *can* tell you, though, is that I will be seeking this out again in October and hoping that they kept it on the menu. This was yummy enough it definitely warrants a repeat in the fall!

After lunch, we popped into a few of the shops to browse around as we walked off some of our cupcake coma.

I had fun checking out all the cool animal stuffies that they had.....I wanted to hug them all! Gosh darn it, I need a grandbaby one of these days so I can have a good excuse to just buy one of everything :-D.

I really liked the 2020 merchandise logo this year......very well done! We always try to pick up something from the park that has the year on it, though this trip we took a pass figuring we'd indulge in a little more retail therapy when we were there in the spring. Now that our April trip got "corona-d", I'm wishing that I had made a few special purchases after all. I can assure you I will be buying a few Christmas ornaments from here on our October and December trips!

A quick check of the time and the SeaWorld app, and we noted it was time to get heading toward Orca stadium (recently renamed....it will always be "Shamu Stadium" to me) for the brand new "Orca Encounter".

With only 2 showings on that day, we expected the theater to be full....especially since it was a brand new park feature. One Ocean, a fan favorite for many years, had been retired earlier in the month and we were both excited and curious to see how the new show (which was branded as having a more educational and less performance-based format than before) measured up.

We were grateful once again for our platinum passes that provided us with reserved seating in some of the best seats in the house: dead center of the stadium and just outside of the splash zone. It was, indeed, a VERY full audience.....so that complimentary perk was sure appreciated for the second time that day!

More to come......

That cupcake. LOL We didn't see it at all but I don't think we looked at that menu. Would have been Madeline's dessert choice if she had seen it.

I think Duncan owns one of each stuffy from SW. He has the HUGE beluga whale (and the huge cheetah from BG). Stuffies are definitely his souvenir of choice!

I don't think we've talked about your December trip yet, but I believe we'll be there at the same time. One good thing about SW being closed is that now it's been closed long enough to extend our pass into December so we'll be able to enjoy the Christmas offerings at SW. Most of our trip will be at Disney but you better believe we'll be heading to SW on the Sunday we're there (Dec 6)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Orca Encounter. I enjoyed it but the kids were really disappointed. They especially missed the part where one of the whales is offered fish and keeps shaking his head no until they pour the whole bucket into his mouth. They were really disappointed that part wasn't there.

Looks like you had a great meal, and so nice to have terrific seats for shows!

This trip just gets better and better ☺️

So I hadn’t thought through tickets yet. Ii guess it would depend on the deal. If it makes more sense to get APs and go more than once, we’d do it. I’m going to check out the thread from last year, Thank You!!

I would imagine they will have loads of 2020 merchandise on clearance by the time the park finally reopens! if we get to go in July, I'll check it out for you.

That's super sweet of you! I'll bet I might get in on some great sales when we are there in October and December as well. Did I mention that SeaWorld now has a clearance store in the park? Apparently merchandise changes daily so you never know what may or may not be there, but some passholders have reported some pretty nifty finds. It's in one of the shops in Key West, near the ray feeding, but is only open certain hours (pretty sure its only afternoons/early evenings). Check it out in July if you happen to go!

That cupcake. LOL We didn't see it at all but I don't think we looked at that menu. Would have been Madeline's dessert choice if she had seen it.

I think Duncan owns one of each stuffy from SW. He has the HUGE beluga whale (and the huge cheetah from BG). Stuffies are definitely his souvenir of choice!

I don't think we've talked about your December trip yet, but I believe we'll be there at the same time. One good thing about SW being closed is that now it's been closed long enough to extend our pass into December so we'll be able to enjoy the Christmas offerings at SW. Most of our trip will be at Disney but you better believe we'll be heading to SW on the Sunday we're there (Dec 6)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Orca Encounter. I enjoyed it but the kids were really disappointed. They especially missed the part where one of the whales is offered fish and keeps shaking his head no until they pour the whole bucket into his mouth. They were really disappointed that part wasn't there.

I'm pretty sure Duncan and I are kindred spirits. We've already determined that our ride tolerance and food preferences are pretty darn similar, and now we can add favorite souvenirs to the list!

We will indeed be there at the same time in December! Our dates are the 5th to 12th. Hoping for some GREAT deals on the Christmas Celebration upgrades on the Blue Friday sales. You guys give any consideration to attending the OI meetup at Universal while you're in tow?

I love the food at Waterway Grill! My favorite is the pulled-pork bowl

I didn't even see they had pulled pork! That's one of my faves too! I know what I will be having with my cupcake on the next trip ;-) .

Looks like you had a great meal, and so nice to have terrific seats for shows!

This trip just gets better and better ☺

So I hadn’t thought through tickets yet. Ii guess it would depend on the deal. If it makes more sense to get APs and go more than once, we’d do it. I’m going to check out the thread from last year, Thank You!!

Sometimes the cost of parking can make Annual Passes a very good deal. At $25+ a pop, it doesn't take long to eat up $75 or more in parking fees alone. Then when you add in some of the other benefits, depending on the level you pick (dining discounts, photokey, etc.) it can make them an even better option. But, it also makes a person want to book more trips just so you can get the mileage out of the passes......so maybe it won't save you anything after all! LOL

Monday, January 27th: SeaWorld, continued

When SeaWorld announced that they were retiring One Ocean and replacing it with "Orca Encounter", I honestly wasn't worried.....I have learned from past experience that sometimes, change can be a GOOD thing. Case in point: Blue Horizons to Dolphin Days. We enjoy the new show even more than the old....and that was something neither of us were expecting. With that in mind, we went into our first Orca Encounter show with high hopes and a positive outlook.

We had read before our trip that the changes were implemented in an effort to remove much of the "show" or performance aspect and refocus on education. While I love the educational aspect, and fully support a move in that direct.....I find these massive and gorgeous creatures unbelievably fascinating!....I am a little sad that SeaWorld continues to feel such negative pressure from radical animal activist groups. But that's a topic for a whole different thread.

We were curious to see if the spectacular jumps that made this show the crown jewel of the park were eliminated from the new show format, but we were thrilled to find out this was absolutely not the case. Those eye-popping flips still wowed guests throughout the show, but now they were paired with demonstrations on the stage screen of how and when those same types of behaviors would occur in the wild. Some of the footage they had of wild orcas was really quite impressive!!

There's a little less music and a little less "intensity" to the show, but it flowed nicely and held our interest well. We felt like the new format kept some parts of One Ocean and modified a few others.....and as @chicagoshannon mentioned, a few additional One Ocean memorable moments were removed from the new show entirely.

I always found One Ocean a little humbling.....sharing our world with animals of this size, strength and gracefulness is such an honor....and I had that same feeling with Orca Encounter. It also highlighted, albeit in a more subdued manner, the incredible relationships between the whales and their trainers.....and the love between the people and animals is seriously beautiful. It gives me all the feels!

It still doesn't rate as my favorite show in the park....that honor continues to go to Dolphin Days (or, if we are counting in ALL shows, including seasonal ones, then a tie would go to DD and Oh Wondrous Night)......but we definitely enjoyed the new Orca Encounter. SeaWorld did a great job of bringing education to the forefront without removing the entertainment value. This will absolutely be a show we continue to make time for on each visit.

More to come......

I"m with you on Dolphin Days. I like it so much more than the previous show. I wasn't a fan of the hokey "storyline" of the old show. :)

As much as I loved the music from One Ocean I wish they would have changed it up for the new show. Maybe they still will. I feel like the new show was kind of rushed for some reason.

As for the OI meetup, I don't think that will happen. We're only in town for 6 days and we'll have Disney passes.

I"m with you on Dolphin Days. I like it so much more than the previous show. I wasn't a fan of the hokey "storyline" of the old show. :)

As much as I loved the music from One Ocean I wish they would have changed it up for the new show. Maybe they still will. I feel like the new show was kind of rushed for some reason.

As for the OI meetup, I don't think that will happen. We're only in town for 6 days and we'll have Disney passes.

There definitely seemed to be a push to get the new show rolled out for the start of 2020. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when the parks reopen......I'm hearing rumors that SeaWorld plans to welcome guests again in June.

Are you guys planning on doing a MVMCP? We have tentative plans to attend the party on the 8th.

I prefer Dolphin Days over Blue Horizons, but I also prefer Orca Encounter over One Ocean

I think Orca Encounter and One Ocean are an equal tie for me. I like them both!

Monday, January 27th: the conclusion

Our goal that day had been to see the three shows - - Dolphin Days, Sea Lion High, and Orca Encounter - - and to do the Penguins Up Close Tour. Everything and anything else we managed to squeeze in was a happy bonus.......that is, except for one attraction that we intentionally saved right until the end of the day, for obvious reasons.

Much as it had been a simply lovely weather day, it WAS still January and that meant that it never got super hot. We wanted to ensure we rode Infinity Falls but didn't want to spend the balance of the day, especially knowing we had significant time planned for being inside Antarctica, in damp clothing. Nor was I planning on walking around the park looking like a drowned rat with wet, air-dried hair. A girl has to have some standards, right?

So, with about a half hour left of our park day, we headed to Infinity Falls to cap off a fabulous day with a splash.

There was no line at all, so we donned our ponchos and headed through the queue right to the boarding area. We were seated in a raft with another family of 4 who followed us up the walkway, a mom and dad with their two young daughters.

We always seem to have the greatest luck in meeting some of the nicest people. It turns out that the father was originally from Michigan and lived many years in the same general area as we currently reside, so the six of us enjoyed some friendly chat as we bobbed our way through the rapids. The little girls were super sweet (and more than a little nervous ... it was their first time riding) but they got a huge kick out of us giggling right along with them when one of us got a cool wave of water splashed up over our heads or cascading down our backsides. If you're gonna ride a water ride, ya might better get wet, right?

We ended up riding 4 times in a row, all with the same family (the little girls even let another couple go ahead of them so that they could ride with us again LOL). Mom eventually took a leave on the 3rd and 4th time down, leaving just dad and the girls to join us. I think she'd had enough of being doused with those chilly waves that late in the day.

When we finally got off for the final time, I asked if they had Photokey and they told me they did not. Especially since it was the girls' first "big" ride of their trip, I thought it would be really special if they had their ride pictures so I offered to text them to them if they didn't mind sharing their cell phone number. They were SO grateful ..... but I was more than happy to give them those memories. So as we parted ways, they headed to one of the giant dryers (ponchos don't really keep you dry but DO help protect cell phones and purses at least somewhat) while we headed to the Photokey desk to get all the pictures on our card. One of the nice things about the cameras on that ride is that they capture several different angles, so regardless of where you are riding, you can generally get a picture of those in your group. The ended up with a nice one that featured just their side of the raft, where we are hardly visible. It was perfect!

By the time we headed out of the park, it was just past 6 and everything but the shops were slowly closing to guests. We had opened the park, and closed the park. A good day all around.

Arriving back at the villa, we enjoyed a short rest and a chance to both edit some of our pictures and catch up on social media, then we donned our swimsuits (and grabbed a couple of adult beverages) and headed out to enjoy the Fountains recreation area on such a perfect winter night.

It was swimming weather for us northerners, but apparently not for anyone else LOL. Despite the early hour......it couldn't have even been 8 pm yet.....we were the ONLY people at the pool.

The Tiki Bar itself was closed (thank goodness we brought our own drinks), but the fire pit was on so we sat for a bit and just savored the peacefulness of the night. It's not often we get that big, beautiful area all to ourselves.

Not a soul came down to occupy any of the empty deck chairs as we enjoyed a luscious swim in the pool. The pool is heated and was wonderfully warm, so it was baffling as to why no one else was down there for a swim (cool night air or not). Their loss was our gain. What a lovely way to end a busy day at the parks.

After our swim, we headed up the stairs behind the waterfall for a soak in one of the two hot tubs that serve the Fountains area. We thought *maybe* there might be some folks back in those two areas (hot tubs are the place to be in the winter!) but nope. Still deserted.

I always love the nighttime view from the hot tubs. The deep green of the palm trees, back lit by the warm glow of the lamp posts against the inky night sky, is breathtaking. So far removed from the cold, barren, snowy landscape that we left just a few days earlier.

Once we were sufficiently waterlogged, we headed back to the villa and pretty much headed straight to bed. Our plan was to get up early the following morning (one of the few times we would actually set the alarm to ensure we didn't oversleep) and make the drive to Busch Gardens for our first-ever visit. We wanted to be rested and ready for a big day.....which had an unexpected surprise in store once we got there!

Coming up: going wild at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay

There definitely seemed to be a push to get the new show rolled out for the start of 2020. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when the parks reopen......I'm hearing rumors that SeaWorld plans to welcome guests again in June.

Are you guys planning on doing a MVMCP? We have tentative plans to attend the party on the 8th.

I think Orca Encounter and One Ocean are an equal tie for me. I like them both!
My kids would like to go to MVMCP but I haven't decided yet. IF we do we'll have to go on the 8th though for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter