It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

I am starting to come to the realization that I am going to have to do some research and put together the trip that I want to the Asia Parks. I am using these boards and TDR Explorer. What are your recommended resources?

If your goal is to visit Disney theme parks, I can’t help. My brother has been and doesn’t recommend them. My best friends brother is a die hard Disney fanatic and has been to all the Disney parks.

If I go to another country it is to immerse myself into that culture, not visit a Disney theme park.

If your goal is to visit Disney theme parks, I can’t help. My brother has been and doesn’t recommend them. My best friends brother is a die hard Disney fanatic and has been to all the Disney parks.

If I go to another country it is to immerse myself into that culture, not visit a Disney theme park.
I agree with you about going to another country just to visit Disney theme park and that isn't my goal.
Might I ask why your brother doesn't recommend the (Asian?) Parks?
Thanks!

I agree with this. I would never go to another country just to visit another Disney Theme Park. But it can be a really fun enhancement to a trip.

Sayhello

Well, that’s a first, if Tokyo Disney Sea is included in that not recommended list of Asia Disney parks.

Makes perfect sense if you are not a huge Disney fan. But for some that are, circumstances might lend themselves to the idea of going to another country just to visit Disney theme parks. I’m doing exactly that in just a few weeks. :-)

I think it would be good to keep in mind the two are not mutually exclusive.

Well said.

Every person I’ve spoken to about TDS that has visited and every article I’ve read about TDS talks about how much better the park is than any of the other Disney parks in the world. So of course I want to go and check it out.

I’ve always wanted to visit all the Disney parks in the world and of course I want to visit the country and experience the cultures of their locations. The China ABD we are doing next week let’s me kill those 2 birds with one stone. Unfortunately, we did not have enough vacation time to see much of what we would want to see and do in Japan as a post trip. But we did have just the right amount of time to do both of the Japan parks.

So, I guess that makes me one of those people that would go to another country just to visit Disney parks. None the less, I’m glad to be booked on the Japan trip with ABD next year so I can see the country and learn about the culture. Plus, hit the parks a second time. Bonus!

Last edited:

Thankfully you are not my travel agent! While I love traveling and visiting new places, I certainly appreciate the variety of reasons why people travel. It is all very individualistic don't you think? While you are free to avoid amusement parks, I wouldn't claim it to be wrong for others to do so-- even if seeing a park is their primary reason for going. That person is getting out in the world, and having fun and experiencing culture in their own way.

I get what you're saying, but part of immersing yourself is doing what the people there do. In Tokyo the parks are popular and sometimes the best bridge is finding common ground like that and seeing what they do differently as that makes it all the more obvious. Spending one or two days at a park in addition to going to museums, parks and other (often embellished or fake-for-tourists) spots isn't going to make a trip any less authentic or special. Put another way I wouldn't blame anyone who came to the US for going to LA instead of just sticking to the Smithsonian/DC or colonial sites in the Eastern US and focusing instead on what were. Both are fun and fine and the whole picture is the only way to see us fully.

I was surprised that they didn't have the Tokyo fish market on there. That's a must do for us :) Now who knows someone who can get me a reservation at Sukiyabashi Jiro???? :)

I was fortunate enough to eat at Jiro's once (went with some business colleagues who can get reservations). The tasting meal was outstanding, but it is a different experience than in the US or other parts of the world. My colleagues gave me the rules of etiquette of which there were many. You are there to eat (phone use is strongly discouraged as is excessive talking with the party you are with). The tasting meal is 20 pieces, and each piece came 1 at a time. You are absolutely expected to keep pace (if I recall, it was about 20 piece served in about 30 minutes). I was warned not to let multiple pieces back up in front of me. I won't claim to be a sushi connoisseur, and after about 10 or 12 pieces I start to slow down, so the pressure to keep up was definitely there. The other two big things they said was don't separate the fish from the rice, the chef finds this insulting. And they go through great lengths to season the rice and fish just perfectly, so I was strongly discouraged from slathering on soy sauce and wasabi (usually my go to trick for when there is a piece of fish I'm not all that fond of).

So, I'm not sure how hard and fast these rules/guidelines are, but where I was there with colleagues who are somewhat regulars and seemed to be known by the staff, I was overly conscious to conform to their guidance. So, the food is outstanding, just recognize the experience is different. Note; we were there for lunch, not sure if dinner would be any different.

I am a huge believer in "go experience the local culture and food." That said, TDS would be a must if we were going to Tokyo. Not necessarily because Japanese people go, but because it sounds like a really cool park and there is no where else to see it. It's ok to want to do both. ;)

After our ABD to Japan we will have been to all the Disney parks in the world! I am hoping they open a park in Australia because that would give me a good reason to go back :rolleyes1!

I have enjoyed all of the parks immensely. I am most excited for TDS because I've heard it's one of, if not the best, of all the Disney parks!

I wouldn't even consider a trip to Japan without adding on a few days for the parks. But that's just me. I think a lot of others on this board agree (after all it is the disboards!)

I was fortunate enough to eat at Jiro's once (went with some business colleagues who can get reservations). The tasting meal was outstanding, but it is a different experience than in the US or other parts of the world. My colleagues gave me the rules of etiquette of which there were many. You are there to eat (phone use is strongly discouraged as is excessive talking with the party you are with). The tasting meal is 20 pieces, and each piece came 1 at a time. You are absolutely expected to keep pace (if I recall, it was about 20 piece served in about 30 minutes). I was warned not to let multiple pieces back up in front of me. I won't claim to be a sushi connoisseur, and after about 10 or 12 pieces I start to slow down, so the pressure to keep up was definitely there. The other two big things they said was don't separate the fish from the rice, the chef finds this insulting. And they go through great lengths to season the rice and fish just perfectly, so I was strongly discouraged from slathering on soy sauce and wasabi (usually my go to trick for when there is a piece of fish I'm not all that fond of).

So, I'm not sure how hard and fast these rules/guidelines are, but where I was there with colleagues who are somewhat regulars and seemed to be known by the staff, I was overly conscious to conform to their guidance. So, the food is outstanding, just recognize the experience is different. Note; we were there for lunch, not sure if dinner would be any different.
You seem to be spot-on with what to do & not do at Jiro’s. You could have written the copy on their website as your comments are very similar. One other thing they ask is please do not take pictures of the food. One picture as you leave is OK but no others.

Have you seen the movie? You need to watch it, especially after going there. So jealous and thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds amazing and I can definitely see how it would be hard to keep up.

Have you seen the movie? You need to watch it, especially after going there. So jealous and thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds amazing and I can definitely see how it would be hard to keep up.

No. Didn't see the movie, but I did see a special he did with Anthony Bourdain. I'll definitely check it out at some point. Maybe on the flight over.

I was really excited about Japan being added because we've never done an Adventures trip before, but that price point is absolutely crazy. I'm so surprised people are able to pay that much money for a trip. That's enough money to pay back all of my student loans. We are still planning on going next May, but we will just have to book everything on our own. I really wanted to try staying at the MiraCosta, but I don't think that we can swing that either. We may just be in over our heads idk.

I was really excited about Japan being added because we've never done an Adventures trip before, but that price point is absolutely crazy. I'm so surprised people are able to pay that much money for a trip. That's enough money to pay back all of my student loans. We are still planning on going next May, but we will just have to book everything on our own. I really wanted to try staying at the MiraCosta, but I don't think that we can swing that either. We may just be in over our heads idk.

@Haley R - I will agree that the price point of Japan is pretty :scared1: We are fortunate to be able to swing it and don't take that for granted. I'm chiming in on your post because you mention going on your own and not being able to do MiraCosta. You can, if you have good credit and don't carry balances on your credit cards. You just have to think outside the box and perhaps my post here will lead you to a new hobby that will allow you to travel for free or at least mitigate a lot of your travel expenses. 6 years ago my desire to go on the ABD Scotland trip and thinking the price point was too high led me to a new hobby some of us call travel hacking. I learned how to collect and then use points and miles to pay for my airfare, hotels and a number of other travel related costs. I can honestly say it changed my life. I did go on the Scotland ABD and we flew to Europe using points and miles in first class to boot.

We will be on the China ABD next week and decided to fly to Japan on from Shanghai using points and miles to visit the parks. When I saw what a Harbor View room at MiraCosta costs :eek: I decided there was no way I'd be paying that much money to stay there so I initially decided to travel hack it instead and formed a plan to pay for it with points. The plan would take several months to implement fully but it would cover the hotel costs. It involved signing up for a few credit cards that offered high bonuses of $400 or more and opening a few new checking accounts for bank bonuses that also allow credit card funding without coding as cash advance. Between 2 or 3 credit cards and a few bank bonuses you can easily get yourself between $1500 - $2000 for your hotel stay. It will all sound complicated and overwhelming, it really isn't. I'm no expert but I've still managed to fly and travel (on non ABD trips) on mostly points and miles for the last 6 years.

There is a thread here on the Disboards in the Budget Board section that is pretty active and moves fast, called "I love credit cards so much". The regulars there, including me, help out all new comers and it is one of the friendliest threads on the Disboards. The folks that post there and help out or seek to get help range a wide spectrum of travel goals. Some of folks can probably afford to pay for their travel without this hobby but choose not to or use it as a means to upgrade their style of travel without it affecting their wallet. A few of them are regulars here on the ABD board too. Some of the folks there, have much more restrictive budgets and would not be able to do any travel at all if not for this hobby. I'll tag you over there so you can find us. Come say hi, tell us what your travel goals are and the regulars on the thread will take it from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter