It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

I totally agree that staying at the Park Hyatt needs a couple extra small steps to get to and from there. If you don't think you'll ever come back to Japan, then I think you can do it in fewer steps, but it would cost more -- then you can cross it off your bucket list without having to come all the way back just to stay at the hotel. However, if you think you'll have another opportunity, then the Park Hyatt will still be there when you get back! (It is pretty awesome, though, I will say.)

I totally agree that staying at the Park Hyatt needs a couple extra small steps to get to and from there. If you don't think you'll ever come back to Japan, then I think you can do it in fewer steps, but it would cost more -- then you can cross it off your bucket list without having to come all the way back just to stay at the hotel. However, if you think you'll have another opportunity, then the Park Hyatt will still be there when you get back! (It is pretty awesome, though, I will say.)
I think we will be back—probably without our kids next time so I’m coming around to simplicity route. Especially as we just decided to fly to start of ABD and will need to get back to Haneda. Park Hyatt will have to wait :(

Well, we booked our TDR reservations. For us as a family of 5, it was half the price to book on our own than with ABD. TDR only offers 2 night packages. So, we ended up making one package at TDL Hotel - Beauty & the Beast room for my DD. Then another package at Miracosta - Porto Paradiso Side. I tried for the Harbour view, but it wasn't available. We still have to book one room only night at Miracosta to bring our TDR adventure to 5 nights in total. I'll try for the Harbour view for that night. I decided to go with packages over room only reservations for the additional fastpass privileges. It sounds like there may be a special fireworks viewing areas for Package holders, but I haven't found much info on that. It's been a learning experience. That's for sure! Next up is planning restaurant reservations and free time in Kyoto/Tokyo.

Well, we booked our TDR reservations. For us as a family of 5, it was half the price to book on our own than with ABD. TDR only offers 2 night packages. So, we ended up making one package at TDL Hotel - Beauty & the Beast room for my DD. Then another package at Miracosta - Porto Paradiso Side. I tried for the Harbour view, but it wasn't available. We still have to book one room only night at Miracosta to bring our TDR adventure to 5 nights in total. I'll try for the Harbour view for that night. I decided to go with packages over room only reservations for the additional fastpass privileges. It sounds like there may be a special fireworks viewing areas for Package holders, but I haven't found much info on that. It's been a learning experience. That's for sure! Next up is planning restaurant reservations and free time in Kyoto/Tokyo.

Our family (me, DH and DD16) will be taking our first ABD to China this August and we are heading to TDL on the way home to celebrate DD’s 17th birthday. At this point I am considering a 2 night package at the Miracosta. I understand that the booking process is not easy by any stretch and therefore am pretty anxious about it! Since you successfully booked two packages, do you have any advice on strategy for booking TDL packages or recommendations for online resources describing the process? I have found this ABD board to be such a nice, helpful community and any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I am so jealous!

Our family (me, DH and DD16) will be taking our first ABD to China this August and we are heading to TDL on the way home to celebrate DD’s 17th birthday. At this point I am considering a 2 night package at the Miracosta. I understand that the booking process is not easy by any stretch and therefore am pretty anxious about it! Since you successfully booked two packages, do you have any advice on strategy for booking TDL packages or recommendations for online resources describing the process? I have found this ABD board to be such a nice, helpful community and any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I booked through https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/index.html
You can book room only and buy your tickets yourself or buy a package. The package booking window opens 6 up months out. Room only opens up 5 mo out and there seems to be less availability with those rooms. I think as long as you are prepared to book around 6 mo out you’ll find availability. Also have a few CC’s available. I tried a Visa that would otherwise work in any other circumstance, but not Tokyo DL for whatever reason. I ended up using an Amex which worked fine.

Last edited:

Now that our winter trip is done, it is time to turn our thoughts to Japan! Not too long til we can try our luck with Miracosta.......
This is our second trip to Japan - first was independent (my profile pic is on the Tokyo DLR monorail!)

On our independent trip, we used private guides in Kyoto and Tokyo so thought I would share a little of what I learned:
this website is helpful - https://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-with-children
In Kyoto, we mixed in some activities along with temples
- fan making in Arashimaya (don't recommend)
- sweet making - decorating more than cooking (kind of fun - our guide booked it, but google it - I think it is this place https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/kyoto/a/123764 - which is near the Four Seasons)
- hand dyeing (fun if you like crafts - https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/kyoto/a/100337 - there was a group of Japanese school girls there which was fun too)
- kimono dressing - fun if you have someone who wants to dress up - best part is the 'strolling'! very popular with Japanese, but two ten year old blondes in kimonos got plenty of attention!

We don't have a pre-day unfortunately - I think we would do Universal Studios in Osaka if we did.

Happy to try answer questions about Kyoto or Tokyo DLR

Now that our winter trip is done, it is time to turn our thoughts to Japan! Not too long til we can try our luck with Miracosta.......
This is our second trip to Japan - first was independent (my profile pic is on the Tokyo DLR monorail!)

On our independent trip, we used private guides in Kyoto and Tokyo so thought I would share a little of what I learned:
this website is helpful - https://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-with-children
In Kyoto, we mixed in some activities along with temples
- fan making in Arashimaya (don't recommend)
- sweet making - decorating more than cooking (kind of fun - our guide booked it, but google it - I think it is this place https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/kyoto/a/123764 - which is near the Four Seasons)
- hand dyeing (fun if you like crafts - https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/kyoto/a/100337 - there was a group of Japanese school girls there which was fun too)
- kimono dressing - fun if you have someone who wants to dress up - best part is the 'strolling'! very popular with Japanese, but two ten year old blondes in kimonos got plenty of attention!

We don't have a pre-day unfortunately - I think we would do Universal Studios in Osaka if we did.

Happy to try answer questions about Kyoto or Tokyo DLR
Thanks for all the great info!

Sorry - I should have added - I did not include the name of the guide as I am not sure the company we used still does it. We used Nara Walk - http://www.narawalk.com/private-tour/. Per their website, they do Kyoto too, so you could try emailing them. I've read good things about Context Travel.

I booked through https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/index.html
You can book room only and buy your tickets yourself or buy a package. The package booking window opens 6 up months out. Room only opens up 5 mo out and there seems to be less availability with those rooms. I think as long as you are prepared to book around 6 mo out you’ll find availability. Also have a few CC’s available. I tried a Visa that would otherwise work in any other circumstance, but not Tokyo DL for whatever reason. I ended up using an Amex which worked fine.

I priced out the MiraCosta for myself and dd for 2 nights (with 3 day park tickets) and it is half the cost of the ABD add-on (plus the MiraCosta is apparently a better hotel). The primary difference is in the FPs: ABD gives 3 (type A) and 12 (type D), whereas booking direct nets 2 (type A) and 6 (type D). Since we will be visiting on a Wednesday and Thursday I don't think the crowds will be too awful.

Any thoughts on if the $2,500.00 cost of the ABD add-on is worth it? Eight FPs each split between 2 days isn't too bad (we are flying back on the third day so won't be able to visit the parks).

The primary difference is in the FPs: ABD gives 3 (type A) and 12 (type D), whereas booking direct nets 2 (type A) and 6 (type D). Since we will be visiting on a Wednesday and Thursday I don't think the crowds will be too awful.

Any thoughts on if the $2,500.00 cost of the ABD add-on is worth it? Eight FPs each split between 2 days isn't too bad (we are flying back on the third day so won't be able to visit the parks).

I can’t speak to the value, as I’ve not been to TDR, but don’t forget to include the cost of the to/from transportation when comparing - AbD add-on includes transport to TDR and then transport back to the airport.

We just realized our booking window to book packages on your own is almost here!
What time does it open? 12:01am Japan time or something else?

We decided the ABD add-on is not worth it for us - transfers are not that expensive from what I recall. We did a shuttle bus from TDR to airport, and DH did taxi from Tokyo station and I did train (he had all the luggage!)

Thanks

I priced out the MiraCosta for myself and dd for 2 nights (with 3 day park tickets) and it is half the cost of the ABD add-on (plus the MiraCosta is apparently a better hotel). The primary difference is in the FPs: ABD gives 3 (type A) and 12 (type D), whereas booking direct nets 2 (type A) and 6 (type D). Since we will be visiting on a Wednesday and Thursday I don't think the crowds will be too awful.

7 extra fastpasses each for a $2500 premium. It would be tough for me to rationalize that. I suppose you could see it as the cost of a mini-VIP tour. I'd probably pass. My situation was more extreme. It would have cost my family of 5 $8,000 more for the ABD add on than getting a family room and package direct from TDR. We booked 2 back to back TDR packages and an extra night for less than the ABD add on.

I can’t speak to the value, as I’ve not been to TDR, but don’t forget to include the cost of the to/from transportation when comparing - AbD add-on includes transport to TDR and then transport back to the airport.

It's worth considering for sure. I haven't arranged transfers from TDR to the airport, but I think we'll just do the bus.

We just realized our booking window to book packages on your own is almost here!
What time does it open? 12:01am Japan time or something else?

We decided the ABD add-on is not worth it for us - transfers are not that expensive from what I recall. We did a shuttle bus from TDR to airport, and DH did taxi from Tokyo station and I did train (he had all the luggage!)

Thanks

I believe it's 11am Japan time.

7 extra fastpasses each for a $2500 premium. It would be tough for me to rationalize that. I suppose you could see it as the cost of a mini-VIP tour. I'd probably pass. My situation was more extreme. It would have cost my family of 5 $8,000 more for the ABD add on than getting a family room and package direct from TDR. We booked 2 back to back TDR packages and an extra night for less than the ABD add on.

I just booked the package for dd and myself for June 12 for 2 nights. I can't justify double the cost to book through ABD just to get a few extra FPs. Super easy to do and was able to get the Porto Paradiso side, but a Piazza view room (no harbor view rooms available). Starting to get excited for this trip!

I just booked the package for dd and myself for June 12 for 2 nights. I can't justify double the cost to book through ABD just to get a few extra FPs. Super easy to do and was able to get the Porto Paradiso side, but a Piazza view room (no harbor view rooms available). Starting to get excited for this trip!

Keep checking! I wasn't able to get Harbour View to start, but found a room a couple of weeks later. I think booking this on your own was smart personally... we found TDR very manageable as many locals didn't come until later in the day during the week.

Keep checking! I wasn't able to get Harbour View to start, but found a room a couple of weeks later. I think booking this on your own was smart personally... we found TDR very manageable as many locals didn't come until later in the day during the week.

That's really good info to know. When I went we didn't spent the night at Disney but if I ever went back I certainly would.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!