Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I booked one night at Kidani in a Savannah view studio as a surprise for my daughter’s sweet 16. We are staying 4 nights at Pop first, then when she thinks we are going back to MCO, I’m going to surprise her by driving to Kidani
I have a question about changing and using the pool before our room is ready. Since we will probably arrive at noon and I know the official check in time is 4 pm I wanted to see if there is a place we can change into our swimsuits so we can use the pool while we wait for our room to be available. ⛱

Kidani has bathrooms near the gym that you can use also Jambo has large restrooms near the pool that you can change in, there are even a few shower stalls in the back of the bathroom, seriously these bathrooms are huge. If you go to the Jambo pool The Mara QS is also right there if you want to grab some food or zebra domes or anything like that. One of the perks of the AK resorts is that you can use all of the facilities at both resorts. Have a great trip!!!

If you booked through Disney, call the reservation center and ask that they put a note on your reservation with your request. If you booked through a travel agent, ask your agent to do it. If you are DVC, call member services or do the online chat/email. If you rented DVC points, ask the member to make the request. No matter how you booked, you can use a touring plans request. This is not a request you can make relying on online check in (there are very few options there, none of which is "partial savanna view") and if you wait until you arrive to ask they may not be able to accommodate you. From all I've heard, rooms are assigned anywhere 3-7 days in advance. Definitely plan to make the request at least 10 days prior to check in. Of course if you are too close or your request was not able to be honored, I would definitely ask at the desk about availability. People want to be moved around all the time and what may be the PERFECT partial savanna view room for you would be the worst room someone else could receive. It's subjective and don't hesitate to ask! The worst they can say is "no".
Great, thanks for all the info! We aren’t arriving until October, so I’ll wait to call for a bit.

When is the best time to write your room request if you are hoping for a partial savanna view? Do you write it when you do early check in? Or tell them when you arrive?

Just let the Touring Plans site send a fax request. It will design the request based on where you want to stay, and you can change the wording any way you like.

Arrived at AKL today. We are staying in a standard room. Touring plans sent a fax that I worded myself asking for an upper floor partial Savannah view on kudu trail and we received all of our requests! I also included my parents reservation number and asked for a similar view for them, near us and stated connecting would be fine, but is not necessary. We are right next to each other, but not connecting. :)

We went to Epcot today and the bus came right as we sat down at the bus stop. We waited maybe 10 minutes for the return bus.

Last edited:

I agree with your bus comments, it definitely happens from time to time. But, you can page back through this thread and find posts of how some have thought the buses were great, and you can go to the thread for the monorail resorts and read where some gave up on the long lines for the monorails, and walked instead.

Sounds like results vary.

That is why we will not stay at AKL again. Walking is not an option to any park. At least on Crescent Lake, we could walk to two parks. That is not to say, we will never be back. It's a beautiful place and LOVE the dining options. Definitely a day trip for animal viewing and wonderful cuisine.

That is why we will not stay at AKL again. Walking is not an option to any park. At least on Crescent Lake, we could walk to two parks. That is not to say, we will never be back. It's a beautiful place and LOVE the dining options. Definitely a day trip for animal viewing and wonderful cuisine.

Yes, I agree, results vary

I'm really questioning my choice, for some reason. Cost. Since I have actually had a view of the Buick Savanna, aka the parking lot, I don't trust I'd be someone who gets pixie dust and a better view. Location. I'll probably go to Epcot most, so being right next to it would be nice. Then, every time I think maybe I should modify my reservation, I think of the food. I'll likely make ADRs at both Sanaa and Boma. We don't drive, so we'd have to uber or Minivan it and allow more time away from whatever resort we were staying in. Is that the nuttiest thing you've every heard? Picking AKL for the food?

I'm really questioning my choice, for some reason. Cost. Since I have actually had a view of the Buick Savanna, aka the parking lot, I don't trust I'd be someone who gets pixie dust and a better view. Location. I'll probably go to Epcot most, so being right next to it would be nice. Then, every time I think maybe I should modify my reservation, I think of the food. I'll likely make ADRs at both Sanaa and Boma. We don't drive, so we'd have to uber or Minivan it and allow more time away from whatever resort we were staying in. Is that the nuttiest thing you've every heard? Picking AKL for the food?
I don't think it's nutty. We ate at Jiko and Boma twice during our last stay. :-) Could you do a split stay?

Nope literally split staying for the food and the atmosphere. 3 days at AOA and 3 days AKL in Club level. I may forgo a park day so the kids can hang in the resort longer.

Hey AKL lovers! So DH has a work conference at Yacht and Beach in July....we are tagging along for a vacay. I have spent the past few months getting to know Y&B, making plans, etc....only to find out that now there aren't enough rooms for family, and so some people are being asked to book at AKL instead. I am kind of disappointed, as I was really looking forward to the close proximity to Epcot/HS, boat/walk access, etc. So what I'm asking is....pump up AKL for me! What is soooooo awesome that keeps you coming back for more? Any hidden gems? Why do you love it so?

My family stayed at AKL in 2016 and we just resort hopped in the Epcot area last week. My daughter really wanted to stay at BC for the pool, but MH & I left thinking we wanted to go back to AKL for our next trip. Reasons:

1) The food is amazing. I didn’t see anything in the Epcot resort area that compared.

2) The atmosphere is much more relaxing. There was nothing like coming back from the craziness of the parks, getting a glass of wine, hanging out by the fire pit, and looking at the animals with night vision goggles.

3) We loved the cast members from Africa, who taught our daughters about where they were from and just had fun laughing with them.

4) the AKL is better themed, IMO. I love the artwork in all of the nooks, the grand lobby, the drum music that was almost always playing, and the sandlewood scent that they pumped in there.

5) speaking of drums, my kids got to play in a drum circle one night. There are all kinds of unique activity for the kids where they can earn beads.

6) and did I mention the animals? Lol. There is just nothing like it.

For us, all this is totally worth the extra time it takes to get it Epcot and HS.

Last edited:
Not at all! I know we want to dine at Sanna and Jikko our next trip, (and maybe even eat at Sannaa twice), so, since we want to have dinner there, why not just stay there?

:rotfl2: Thanks for the laugh! Never heard of that savanna before, but will never forget it!

And hence the reason why you'll pay a premium to stay at those places....As well as the monorail resorts...

Heck no...They have 4 restaurants, all of which are excellent.....All unique..
Hi so excited to comeback to AKL this time with my Kids and just booked a club level! We will be staying August 16-19.
Congrats.....Great place to kick back and unwind.

Arrived at AKL today. We are staying in a standard room. Touring plans sent a fax that I worded myself asking for an upper floor partial Savannah view on kudu trail and we received all of our requests! I also included my parents reservation number and asked for a similar view for them, near us and stated connecting would be fine, but is not necessary. We are right next to each other, but not connecting. :)

We went to Epcot today and the bus came right as we sat down at the bus stop. We waited maybe 10 minutes for the return bus.
awesome to get your requests our countdown is going so slow lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter