Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Unfortunately we decided to cancel our 11/14/20 - 11/21/20 AKL CL stay. :( We ended up with a few DVC points left over that we needed to use or lose, so we've changed it to 11/19/20-11/21 at Jambo for a resort only stay. Better than nothing I guess.
November
11/1 - 11/6 P'colaBeachBum - BC
11/4 - 11/10 goodeats - AKL Kidani
11/6 - 11/20 Johnnyg49 - AKL
11/10 ‐11/15 Chime - AKL
11/14 - 11/16 brewhome - AKV Jambo
11/15 - 11/20 tinabina919 - AKL Jambo
11/18 - 11/20 Fitzwoman27 - AKL
11/19 - 11/21 melissa723 - AKL
11/21 - 11/28 #1eeyoregirl - AKL Jambo
11/21 - 11/28 henry72 - AKL Kidani
11/27 - 12/5 Tomania- AKL Kidani
11/28 - 12/6 Eeyore daily - AKV

I know things at Jambo like Victoria Falls lounge are closed, but are you allowed to bring your own drinks and sit there just without service? Or by the big fireplace? It’s always so nice and quiet there (and I’d imagine more so now)

There is really nothing open at Jambo other than the pool. Unfortunately, Kidani doesn't have much worth walking for: just a small selection of food at the gift shop and Sanaa. There's no quick service other than breakfast at Sanaa.

The Maji Pool Bar at Kidani has a limited menu for QS and limited hours, you can check it on line.

I know things at Jambo like Victoria Falls lounge are closed, but are you allowed to bring your own drinks and sit there just without service? Or by the big fireplace? It’s always so nice and quiet there (and I’d imagine more so now)
We brought our own beverages to the pool. I never saw anyone sitting in the pool bar area at Jambo, just walking through it to the other side of the pool.

I don’t know why you couldn’t sit on the chairs by the fireplace, I didn’t see signs. But no fire.

Hi! We were just able to book a 2 bedroom villa at Kidani Village by renting points from a friend who unfortunately couldn’t travel this year before they expired.
We will be at AKL from Sept 7-13. We have never stayed at AKL before and also have never stayed in a DVC room before. We are driving so we won’t be using WDW transportation.
Does anyone have any advice or tips for the room or resort? What are some things being offered during this time? (Activities, etc)
How busy have the pools been lately?
Anything else anyone can think of that I should know?
We are so excited to stay somewhere TOTALLY different than we’re used to. Although nervous we will never want to stay anywhere other than DVC in the future! :)

Since the AKL Jambo hotel rooms are still closed, do they still have animals out and about on the AKL Jambo side? DVC villas are still open on the AKL Jambo side.

Is the AKL Jambo grocery store open or do you have to go to the AKL Kidani side?

Since the AKL Jambo hotel rooms are still closed, do they still have animals out and about on the AKL Jambo side? DVC villas are still open on the AKL Jambo side.

Is the AKL Jambo grocery store open or do you have to go to the AKL Kidani side?

The AKL complex safari lands are actually split into 4 safaris that are separated by fences [the fences are well-located so the guests for the most part don't really notice them unless you do something like the Wanyama Safari in which case you get to go through them]. The animals are free to roam within their zone but they don't/can't roam between zones because of the fences/gates. The animals are assigned a specific zone for specific reasons.

So while I can't say based on personal experience during the pandemic, and hopefully someone who has been there can chime in, I don't see why the aminals would not be in the zones they are normally in doing their normal things irregardless of the humans in the buildings.

According to this post by someone staying at Jambo, the animals are out: https://www.disboards.com/threads/j...rmation-thread.3567178/page-366#post-62168422

None of the stores at Jambo are open, you would have to go over to Kidani [or another resort if you are visiting another resort]. Another option is a grocery delivery service if you don't want to go off site.

SW

ETA safari = savanna

Last edited:
Since the AKL Jambo hotel rooms are still closed, do they still have animals out and about on the AKL Jambo side?

Yes!

It’s funny how people can experience things so differently. Our family just returned from Kidani yesterday, having stayed pretty much at the same time as @mlayman7. Granted, we never stayed at the HRH, so we didn’t have that as a comparison. (Although we did stay at a Home2 near Daytona Beach that was just sad in terms of service and cleanliness of the pool.🤢)

Anyhow, we stayed on the 4th floor, SV. Animals were fantastic as always! I didn’t find the hallways crowded, nor did we find the pool crowded...certainly not compared to normal times! And, if you though Kidani’s slide is rough - don’t go on the slide at Beach Club! 😆 We were able to socially distance with no problem. Plus, with the research I have done, catching this virus seems to be all about length of exposure and viral load. So, if I happen to have to pass someone in the hallway or swim by them in the pool, I am not concerned - especially being outside.

CMs were constantly cleaning, even the handrails going into the pool! Hand sanitizer was in appropriate locations, though I do think they could have it available at every elevator door. But, we just use our elbows - Disney World or otherwise. 😉 Mask compliance was great at the resort; good to great at Disney Springs.

We did not go to a park; we just lounged by the pool and did a couple of fun outings. I had brought and bought breakfast and lunch items, and something to make for dinner one night. We went to Raglan Road the first night, had pizza (Giordanno’s 😋), and then Earl of Sandwich. I will say that the resort food situation is not at all ideal, but at least we had a full kitchen. Kids are all old enough to make their own breakfast and lunch, and so I really only cooked one meal.

The only time I got a little sad or things felt weird was when we walked over to Jambo House the last night. The place was EMPTY. It was weird as we walked up - no valets, no people coming and going, no life or energy. I questioned whether it was even open. The lobby was so quiet and again, so empty. The lights are not on in Boma or Victoria Falls lounge. We walked out to the Savanna viewing area. Even though it was dark, we did see animals out. But, as we looked around the resort balconies, I would say we saw what looked like maybe 10 rooms with lights on? The parking lot probably had less than 20 cars. So, I guess if you *really* want to be away from people, Jambo is the place for you.

In the end, I am very glad we took this little trip. We felt that all safety precautions were being taken, and it was great to have a complete change of scenery and relax a bit.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for the room or resort? What are some things being offered during this time? (Activities, etc)
How busy have the pools been lately?
Anything else anyone can think of that I should know?

If you plan to cook, you will need to bring things like foil, plastic wrap, zip baggies, and or containers for leftovers.They provide a couple of days worth of coffee, but you probably should bring your own and basket filters. They provide some laundry detergent, but I like to bring my own.

Everything is subject to change of course, but right now at Kidani they are having pool activities (trivia, bingo, games) and movies under the stars on select nights. They also have animal experts stationed in different locations at the resort for you to ask questions or learn about the animals, but no set activities. The Community Hall is open with foosball, pool, and it even looked like some kids were maybe doing a craft? Ping-pong is poolside.

My best advice is to go into your trip with realistic expectations. If you have a savanna view room, sit out and enjoy the animals for a while each day. Honestly, I probably spent at least two-three hours on our balcony each day! Plan to spend a lot of time at the pool. Find other activities in the Orlando area that you might want to do and/or go to Disney Springs to eat a meal and/or get a treat. We did Fantasia Gardens mini golf (which, if you return within 24 hours, you get 25% off your next round), and a really fun Escape Room.

It’s all about attitude and expectations. This isn’t going to be a normal Disney vacation. You might actually come home rested!😄

We have a one bedroom booked at Jambo for mid January. We love it there, but I'm thinking about changing our reservation if Mara doesn't open before then. Does anyone know for sure if Zawadi Marketplace is open?

If you plan to cook, you will need to bring things like foil, plastic wrap, zip baggies, and or containers for leftovers.They provide a couple of days worth of coffee, but you probably should bring your own and basket filters. They provide some laundry detergent, but I like to bring my own.

Everything is subject to change of course, but right now at Kidani they are having pool activities (trivia, bingo, games) and movies under the stars on select nights. They also have animal experts stationed in different locations at the resort for you to ask questions or learn about the animals, but no set activities. The Community Hall is open with foosball, pool, and it even looked like some kids were maybe doing a craft? Ping-pong is poolside.

My best advice is to go into your trip with realistic expectations. If you have a savanna view room, sit out and enjoy the animals for a while each day. Honestly, I probably spent at least two-three hours on our balcony each day! Plan to spend a lot of time at the pool. Find other activities in the Orlando area that you might want to do and/or go to Disney Springs to eat a meal and/or get a treat. We did Fantasia Gardens mini golf (which, if you return within 24 hours, you get 25% off your next round), and a really fun Escape Room.

It’s all about attitude and expectations. This isn’t going to be a normal Disney vacation. You might actually come home rested!😄
Thank you SO MUCH! This is exactly the information I was needing! Do you happen to know how dishwasher/dish detergent is left in the room? I wonder if I should bring some of that as well?

We are in a standard view but I am so excited for a more laid back WDW trip. Usually we are always moving and so exhausted at the end of the day. Being able to just rest in the room and spend time with my family sounds so nice.

Does anyone know why jambo hotel rooms are still closed?
Many hotels have not reopened because occupancy levels just aren't high enough to justify the cost of fully opening. Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge are also still closed as well as some others. Only the DVC side of those hotels are open.

there was an article in the Orlando Sentinel about the AKL and AK animals during the quarantine. The keepers they interviewed said they didn’t really change anything because the animals were receiving the same care whether guests were there or not. So the animals that live in the park savanna were there, and the animals that live in the resort savannas were there.

my cousin was there not very long after Jambo opened and she said they went to the Overlook and there was an ostrich that was looking at them funny like it couldn’t believe they were actually people there.

Thank you SO MUCH! This is exactly the information I was needing! Do you happen to know how dishwasher/dish detergent is left in the room? I wonder if I should bring some of that as well?

We were in a 2BR and we had 3 packets of dishwasher detergent. I feel like that is one of those items for which you can ask for more. There is also dish soap, but I prefer my Dawn.😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!