Janice's Crew Celebrate at The World - Day 3

Janice

Super Shopper
‘Tis the Season to be Jolly (‘hic)’

Me – (46) and planner of this holiday of a lifetime.
Chris – (45) my dear husband who puts up with me.
James – (22) our son who has never been to Florida.
Emma – (21) James' Girlfriend and known lovingly as Emmylou.
Katie – (19) our daughter, also lovingly known as Starlett.
Ian – (23) Katie’s Fiancé – been before when much younger.

Day 3 – Christmas Day.

We were all up, washed and dressed by 7 again ready to head off for Busch Gardens. No ceremony about Christmas Day – we exchanged cards had breakfast before we left as we were not certain if Restaurants would be open today.

We had an uneventful journey – although the roads were really busy we were not held up at all – and we were at Busch by 9-30 am. We did not go via the Skyway Bridge as I had hoped but maybe we will get to see it another day. I like bridges (sad, I know) but the others can take or leave them. Straight in to the car park – no queues and we are again in Parking Lot 1, a very short walk from the ticket plaza. We have our Orlando 5 Park Flexitickets and go straight through to the turnstile. I was led to believe that the first time you use the tickets you should sign them in front of the attendant and they enter the expiry date from the day you activate these tickets. This is what happened last time we had these tickets. Well, he did not even look at them, to our benefit as you see later in the holiday. Right – first stop Lockers and then Restroom. We decide to have a coffee in the Zagora Café as the lively band Men of Note were playing Christmas Carols and were just having fun and – we wanted to get our stomachs stabilised!

Now, we head straight for Gwazi as I know this is a really busy ride. This ride was not built when we were here in May 98 so I was eager to see this. Well, first thing I noticed was there was no queue. Next, only one of the tracks was open so we only got to do that, and I was disappointed but I must say that it was really exciting – and being on a wooden coaster took me back years. We all rode this and all had the same opinion that it was very good. We decided that next we would go and ride Montu – another ride Chris and I had not done before so off we trot and again there was no queue. We could not believe it, where was everyone? What can I say about this ride – it was fantastic, so much so that we decided to ride again, straight away, but this time we got in the line area for the front seats although there was still no queues. I have to point out at this junction, that Chris and Emma bottled out and waited for us at the exit. Well all of a sudden, the announcement came that the ride was stopped ‘Momentarily’ but we should all stay in line. Well I just happened to look round behind me and noticed that two members of staff were walking up the long ramp of steps on the first incline of the ride. On looking closer I noticed that the car – with passengers dangling, was stuck almost at the top of that incline. Okay – so we won’t ride just now, Katie and I decided, and went back out the way we came. James and Ian decided to hang on and ride and they emerged about 20 minutes later, exhilarated from riding on the front. Well, if we have time we will come back and do it. No problem. We strolled around and went through Africa taking in all the animals and sights, heading round to my favourite spot – Myombe Reserve where we saw the Gorillas. We were impressed that we managed to see that HUGE alligator move –we have often wondered if he was real, as he always seems to be in the same spot, year in – year out. We then track back and take the Skyride to Stanleyville as we want to ride Kumba next and this is my fave of all time. Shock! Horror! It was closed. I could not believe it and was so disappointed. By now it was fairly chilly and none of us fancied getting wet so we bypassed Congo River Rapids. We had a stroll around Congo and rode the Python, which is pretty tame after the Montu, but still a thrill. Another disappointment was Tidal Wave. This was also closed and Stanley Falls was empty, obviously, everyone had the same idea of not getting wet on such a chilly day. We did Scorpion in Timbuktu, which we all thought was OK and then made our way to the Moroccan Palace Theatre for the new ice show – World Rhythms on Ice. This was really enjoyable with different areas of the world being showcased. As you can imagine every area was depicted with great colour and the costumes were fantastic but what happened to England. This was a letdown – a 60’s scene with Beatles type songs. I am sure we have more to offer than just the hippie scene!

We have another wander around the shops and realise that we have not eaten. My best-laid plans have gone wrong!! I had been hoping to have our meal in the Crown Colony but had quite forgotten all about eating! By now it was too late, so we decided to make our way home, and if we did not come across anywhere open we had bread, cheese, salad and that all important wine and beer back at the villa – and so what if it’s Christmas Day?

One final trip to Montu and we all (not Chris and Emma though) rode in the front and boy – does that take your breath away. It was just getting dark and the buzz was amazing. Yep, you guessed, I am a thrill seeker, a coaster junkie, call it what you like, I just love em!

Now home we go – and as luck would have it, we came across a New York Pizzeria at the junction of the I 4 and US 27, (signposted Haines City) just before we get to our villa and would recommend this to anyone. The service was second to none, the food was excellent and the ambience just perfect. Our waitress was fascinated by our accents and we had a real good meal and couple of hours of fun there. All for about $80!

Just round the corner was home and we were all ready for bed by 11-30. What another great day, if not just a tad disappointed that so many rides had been closed but then I do realise that maintenance has to be carried out at some time.

The crew scored this a fairly good 70 out of 100 – reflected because so many rides closed.

You certainly managed to do a few coasters! You're much braver than I am ;).
:)

Thanks for the wonderful reports!!! What a way to spend Christmas Day!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter