January 20-24 4 Night Wonder trip report - long

MollyX

Earning My Ears
DS11, DD5, and plain ol' me are back from our first ever cruise and it was absolutely positively amazingly terrific. I am going to focus first on information for upcoming cruisers.

SHOWS:

Sunday - Hercules (very cute, lots of wisecracks and puns for the adults, one fiery display which scared some younger kids)

Monday - Snow Dogs on the big big screen in the Walt Disney Theatre

Tuesday - Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer? - I almost skipped this because I thought it sounded lame and boring for those in the audience not chosen. But it was very exciting and fun! Three contestants chosen at each show by computer random selection of row and seat number. Hint - if the seat is empty (or occupied by an ineligible person such as a cast member) they go down the row to the right (to the lower numbered seats) to find the next eligible person. Therefore, if you can manage to have a lot of empty seats to your left - you effectively increase your number of chances of being chosen. Another hint - JUST DO IT! The first few questions are incredibly easy and you win $20, $40, $60 onboard credit. No, neither I or my children got picked. At the end of the show they did another randomized seat selection and gave away a medium sized stuffed Mickey.

Wednesday - Disney Dreams. I can add nothing to the other comments about this show I have read. It was highly engaging, cleverly staged, and full of luxuriant Disney costuming.

MOVIES: Snow Dogs, Monster, Inc., 102 Dalmatians, Max Keeble's Big Move, Princess Diaries, Royal Tennenbaums (just one showing), Emperor's New Groove

OTHER SHOW: Island Magic - a short character-laden stage show done in the Buena Vista Theater aimed at the kids and much enjoyed by them.

WEATHER - We were fortunate to have great weather on the entire trip. Sunny and warm, hardly felt the ship moving at any time. It sure would be a complete bummer to have Castaway Cay day be cold, wet, etc.

Stuff I didn't know or thought I did but was mistaken:

Photos, photos, everywhere. They take photos of you and the kids at every turn starting with the moment you walk on the ship, at dinner, at the Mickey Slide, at each and every character greeting of which there are 4-5 staged every day. There is no obligation to buy these photos but if you do they are $10 for the 6x8 and $20 for the 8x10. The photos are displayed within hours of being taken at the Shutters Photo shop. I made the mistake of only bringing an outdoor throwaway camera and, of course, the character greetings were DD5's number one favorite thing to do. Since all the character greetings (except at Castaway Cay) were indoors, I didn't get many photos.

Taking advice from all of you, I brought soda pop on board in an extra suitcase - they became quite acceptably cool (no, not cold, never cold) within six hours. I also brought various movie candies and chip snacks and that was much appreciated by the kids as well as by me not having to buy them at inflated prices onboard before the shows or movies.

I overheard some other guests complaining about there being nowhere to stop off of the Beeline Expressway (528) for a bite between the airport and the port. Get off on State Road 3, Merritt Island, and head south for a mile or less for the typical fast food joints, pizza hut, convenience stores, grocery stores, even a Target.

Castaway Cay - I join with others in having only one complaint about the beach day - it's too short! And the ship doesn't even have anywhere it has to be since the next day is the Day at Sea where the ship just wanders around in the ocean trying to stay away from clouds. I guess there might be an equity problem if 4 and 7 day cruisers got to stay at CC longer than 3 day cruisers (who have to be back at Canaveral the next morning). But I still think they should let us linger longer at CC. TIP - you have to be back on the boat at 4:30 BUT they make everyone get out of the water at 3:30!!!! I didn't know that. If you want to maximize your time on CC, book any extras (like the banana boat ride or parasailing) for 3:30 or after. Or save the paddle boat or kayak rental till later (although I am not sure if the rentals continue after 3:30 - I know the banana boat ride and the parasailing do because I saw them in action as I was schlepping back to the boat). BTW the banana boat ride was TERRIFIC! DS11 and I went and it was a blast. We kept bouncing around and asking the motorboat cast members to go faster! DS11 says it was the very best part of the trip for him.

CC disembarkation - even though you're just getting off on a Disney-owned island, you need to bring everyone's KTTW cards AND photo id's (passport or birth certificate for the kids). I didn't realize this and, after getting all the way to the gangplank, had to run back up to the room for the passports.

CC trams - well, yes they have trams, and it sounds from the description of them as well as from the CC map that you can take a tram from the boat to Scuttle Cove (the kid club area) to the next tram stop which is in the middle of the eating area and then to the adult beach at Serenity Bay. BUT you can't. The trams are not continuous. They just run between Scuttle Cove and the boat, and between the middle stop and the adult beach. There is a long walk in between. I had timed my DD5's bike ride to be just before the kids club lunch time but since the bike rentals are way at one end of the activitiy and Scuttle Cove is way at the other end - we were late for lunch.

It really is impossible to enjoy all the amenities and shows, etc. Because we wanted to see the show each night, participate in the evening kid club activities, and I wanted my sit-down dinner, we never got to the family dueling pianos or the liars club or family dance night or karaoke, etc. etc. I'm not complaining - everyone makes their choices about how to spend their time. In fact, of the four dinners - I ate three of them alone because the kids preferred fun activities to fine dining (go figure).

Bingo - something I didn't know and felt a bit cheated about was that the so-called jackpot each time (listed in the Navigator as $200, $400, $600, $1000 etc. each progressive time slot) is only awarded if the final game, a coverall, is achieved in 45 (46, 47, etc. each subsequent bingo time) numbers or less. If it is not, they go on to a consolation prize of lesser money. Only on the last bingo event do they give away the jackpot no matter how many numbers it takes (which is why, I now realize, the place was packed to the gills). Thus the big cash jackpot on the last night - I suspect it is next-to-never won before the last time. The reason I felt cheated is that I went to the very first bingo, advertised as having the $200 jackpot, and bought $20 extra of the jackpot-only game. They definitely did not indicate that the jackpot would be rolled over to the next game if not won in 45 bingo numbers or less. Oh well, gambling is certainly a live and learn activity.

Service - well, it certainly was very good. But I didn't experience anything or anyone special. Saw our room steward only in passing. Dining staff were pleasant, in fact, a bit too ingratiating (I couldn't help but feel they had tip dollar signs in their eyes. I, for one, wish Disney would simply charge the extra money and do away with the expected/required gratuity. I am quite willing to reward special service but feel that the expectation that a minimum amount will be given automatically is counterproductive.) The only person I really noticed in a standout way was the 5-7 year head counselor whose name was Amanda. Not that there was any particular thing she did. She was just very efficient, easygoing with DD5, and pleasant.

Something I didn't know about the wait staff who are with you every night - they also serve you on disembarkation morning in Triton's! When I handed out my gratuity envelopes on the last night, the assistant server asked if that meant I wasn't going to be there for breakfast. So you can wait until the last morning with those tips if you want. BTW - the pancakes on the last day were terrible. Go with the express breakfast (eggs, meats, toast etc.).

One mild service complaint was that, at certain times, check-in into the kids club was VERY SLOW. They seemed to have to pull up each child's record on the computer to log them in. I had to wait for 10 minutes one evening just to check her in. It seems to me that a simple sign-in with a cross-check with the KTTW card followed by computer log-in later, when there was no line, would be more efficient.

Food - surpassed my expectations and I didn't even go to Palos! TIP - I had lunch twice at Triton's and it was every bit as good, with maybe even a couple more interesting selections, as the dinner menu!

Beverages - well, I knew from the dis boards that all alcoholic beverages, frozen kids drinks, and soda pop between meals would be extra cost. But I understood that milk and juices were always free and I assumed were available between meals. But the only place my kids could get a cool beverage without added cost was room service (good thing I brought drinks on board). None of the walk-up places like Plutos or Pinocchio's had milk or juices. In fact, even at the Beach Blanket Buffet for embarkation lunch or for breakfast, they didn't have pop available for the kids except for purchase.

Pools - the Mickey and Goofy pools are best visited very early or very late (swimming under the stars and moon is DD's second favorite memory (after characters)). By 9 am, all the lounge chairs are taken or saved with personal effects and the pools are very crowded from10-4.

Room Service - was excellent, prompt, pleasant, wide choices, willing to get stuff not on the menu, etc. Kids ate a lot of triple decker PBJs and lemonade and chocolate chip cookies from room service. On the last night, DS11 came crawling in around 12:30 am (I had begun to wonder if someone had thrown him overboard) and was hungry and called Room Service. I told him that I thought they might be closed on the last night but, lo and behold, they were open and supplied him with a pizza, lemonade, cookie and pineapple. Great service!

Stateroom - We had category 11, 7035, and it was great! So neat and organized. With just one adult, we didn't miss the split bathroom of higher categories at all. The pull-down bunk bed was big hit. The closets were very roomy and there were about 18 hangers (other posts have complained about not having enough hangers). For such a short cruise, I was glad we didn't spend the extra money on a room with a view - not having sun coming in (even around well-drawn curtains) helped my kids with sleeping in a bit. There was a little engine noise in this room (it is the last one on that internal side for a while) but it wasn't a problem - acted as a white noise generator.

Stairs - my calves ache but I'm glad I took people's advice about using the stairs. They were very beautifully carpeted and handrailed. Much more pleasant than the "stairwell" I was expecting. I walked around barefoot quite a bit and never felt uncomfortable. Of course, everyone has to take the midship elevators a few times to see the elevator window views onto painted walls and down into the atrium - spectacular!

The "secret" deck on Aft 7 was certainly rarely occupied. But I didn't get much time to spend there either - just a quick look a couple of times.

The $99 vouchers arrived in the stateroom late on the last night.

What else? It seems like I'm mostly complaining or saying negative things but I just want everyone to know every detail and all the positive things have already been said many times over. I would certainly go again and again in a flash and am already happily looking forward to the fall 3 day cruise. It was just so luxurious and self-indulgent. They really do make every guest feel special.

Navigators for all age groups are being sent to Dave for his DCL tribute site.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about the cruise. I love thinking about it!

and didn't find it to be negative at all. Thanks for posting and glad you had a great time.

Oh! And do you have any sample questions from "who wants to be a mousketeer". We are planning on doing that one when we go in a couple of weeks. Not being a Disney trivia buff... I'm kind of curious.

Jenn

Sample questions: These were all multiple choice - a, b, c, or d answers.

What kind of animal were the waiters in the Jolly Holiday segment of Mary Poppins?

Who did Alice have to wake up to get out of Wonderland?

How many sisters did Ariel have?

Which of the following are NOT names of the trains that circle WDW?

What was the color of the Beast's eyes?

In which state did Disney open its first resort outside of the boundaries of a theme park?

Which of the following tv shows was the first to use sign language (closed captioning?)?

Which of the following Disney movies was orginally made for tv viewing?

Which WDW resort was going to orignally be called the Cypress Point Lodge?

etc.

Just wondering if you have any info on getting from Port Canaveral to the Disney resorts.Are there any car rental desks at or near the port? We are trying to beat the cost of Mears or the Disney cruise shuttle.

Sorry. I didn't see any car rental counters at the terminal. The discussion forum has information about renting from AVIS which seems to be located near the port and has a shuttle (or uses the Radisson hotel shuttle) to/from the port.

Thanks for a great report. "Lame" is the exact wording I used when I first heard of "Mouseketeer", and I was thinking of skipping it. Maybe I'll reconsider... We actually enjoyed "Ghostship" and were sorry to see it go.

I also appreciate the info on Bingo. We never made it to Bingo last year but plan on doing it this time around. Thanks for the tips!

And I don't think your report is negative. I found your report to be very helpful and informative, even as a return cruiser!:earsboy:

WOW...you did so much of the things DH and I meant to do and never did! We plan to do more this fall! I like you found the food better than I expected and also brought my own sodas(glad I did). Like you the stairs were bigger and nicer than I imagined and we found then quicker than waiting for an elevator. From deck 6 it was a quick flight or two to most everything. Your report is what everyone wants- the truth! I would have never learned what to advoid if others hadn't been honest in their reports.
your advice about the pools and when to swim was right on...also the facts about CC and the trams......

happy fall cruising!

Perdido Bay,

I've read your complete trip report too and it enjoyed it very much. The same exact trip from a different perspective! We probably saw each other a few times - I had the same dining rotation as you guys did.

I am obsessing about going again asap and have asked a half dozen female friends if they want to split a cat 11 on the springtime magic rates - it'd only be ~$600 each for another 4 day cruise! I want to experience the cruise doing exactly what I want when I want instead of indulging the kids' every wish this time.

Dreaming Disney......

Molly,
I hope you get to go and have a WONDERful time:)

I just made ressies today for the fall $99 deal:D
happy cruising!

MollyX,

We've never done a cruise but are starting to give serious thought.
We have one question after reading your great report about
beverages - when we stay at WDW we get a $3.99 styrofoam cooler
that is big enough to hold a 6 pack and a couple of 1 liter bottles.
Would this be practical to bring on board? Are there ice machines
available like at the resorts?

Thanks

Your plan with the cooler would certainly be practical but I have read from the Forum discussion boards that Disney won't allow hard sided coolers. You'd have to somehow disguise the cooler as a luggage item. I think if you packed an empty duffel bag/camera bag/diaper bag sort of item, then placed your purchased beverages inside in a manner so that they didn't clink/slosh around (i.e. well-padded), then you could place a Disney luggage tag on it and they'd lug it to your stateroom for you just like any other luggage. Once in your stateroom, the refrigerator there will cool the beverages satisfactorily, in my opinion (cool but not cold). The refrigerator in our category 11 stateroom held about 10 cans and 6 half-liter bottles just fine.

And I don't know about whether there are ice machines on board - I never had reason to check. (But I bet Dave from Marietta knows!)

Molly,
Thanks for a great report!
My family and I are going on our first Disney Cruise in April.
I have a few questions..
What is the $99.00 voucher you spoke about?
Also, regarding drinks, is it worth buying the refillable mug they talk about and do you know how much it is?

Thanks!!!

The $99 voucher I was talking about was a promotion the Disney Cruise Line had for 4 and 7 nite sailings in January. It is no longer available but people who sailed in January are still talking about it as they get ready to book it.

The refillable mugs - are they worth it? Well, it depends, of course, on how much you like soda pop. Personally I'd rather have myself and the kids find water or juices to drink rather than constantly refilling the mug. And then there is having to drag the mug with you everywhere you go - to the pools, the restaurants, even Castaway Cay. The mugs price varies with the length of sail - it's about $5/day I believe - and then they try and sell you a $3 lanyard to go with it as well.

I recommend bringing some pop on board with your luggage for your stateroom refrigerator. We took those pops with us to movies and the evening shows with nary an eyeblink from anyone.

HAVE FUN IN APRIL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter