Japanese translation help!

Syzygy

Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
I am trying to translate the phrase “You are my bucket list” into multiple languages. In order to be accurate and not offend any cultures, can someone please let me know if this is correct (or any edits)?

Thank you!

English : You are my bucket list
Japanese : あなたは私のバケットリストです

I am going to go out on a limb but I think that 'bucket list' does not translate well into Japanese (or most other languages) as it's an English idiom. I know I have had to explain a few to my neighbors and figure out how to explain the concept of an idiom to my DD7 who is a prolific user and has confused a few people already.

Perhaps something more like "This is a lifelong dream for me"?

Hi- to avoid confusion I would also consider re-phrasing.
I know a little Japanese and this means 'Anata wa watashi no 'baketto risuto' desu.'
So, the other person would still need to know the meaning of Bucket list.
As a side note, the use of the word You (anata) can be considered a bit too direct depending who you are talking to so maybe change that for the name of the person or thing you are referring to.
Hope this helps! :)

I am trying to translate the phrase “You are my bucket list” into multiple languages. In order to be accurate and not offend any cultures, can someone please let me know if this is correct (or any edits)?

Thank you!

Thank you!

As the poster above said it is technically correct, but it is literally spelling out 'bucket list' in katakana (alphabet used for foreign words) without trying to use something a native speaker would understand. Try one of the phrases used here maybe? https://hinative.com/en-us/questions/42757 Also of note is that using anata to refer to someone is odd unless they are someone close to you such as a wife to her husband - you would use their name or a different honorific usually such as a title or job/relation reference such as my husband/daughter/uncle, and often it is omitted entirely when speaking to someone. The other options for 'you' though are more 'cheeky' and really its just overly polite word if you aren't familiar with someone already.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter