Jay Flight now departing---this is your Captain...

Love our donuts! Earlier on here we had our Joffrey’s from DS, Yummies Donuts in Venice, FL, and now here on Cape Cod... Hole-In-One Donuts!! Our favorite that we get a couple mornings each year while here.. so good!!
E34E54B6-FBB1-41B5-983D-BDF0BE86CD4D.jpeg396E6861-CEFC-4EF5-9009-DF9E386FBD61.jpeg

At First Encounter Beach, the tides are extreme. At low tide, you can walk a mile out as the water is back that far, and then you could continue walking out in shallow water:

On this first picture, if you zoom in you can see it is a long way out to the water, this is pretty much dead low tide. I marked the edge of the water at high tide with a red line. As it has to travel so far across flat area, you can literally watch/see the tide going in and out if you stay along the edge of the water.
19925660-7CA0-49AA-AD53-DF5A2F83DC3B.jpeg

Took this picture facing back to shore from walking partway out:
9F913AEB-F3B6-4FA0-927D-B8733141D67C.jpeg

...and then turned out toward the bay to picture another family walking out in the water further... but there were other groups who went out much further.
47503364-8EBE-433B-9030-066345112F65.jpeg

Even though you can’t really tell, we are on an observation platform looking out over some sand cliffs at the Marconi Station site where in January 1903, Marconi’s radio station sent the first two-way wireless radio message to Europe from the U.S. You can read the attached quick history picture. One of the many places we have to visit a few times each year. It is a beautiful place to look out to the Atlantic from...also, there are a few remnants of large radio station set up in the picture (various pieces of the concrete/brick of the day used in the bases to attach the wires/towers to).

349BEA54-155A-44EE-95B6-AA819AC784FE.jpegD7BAC81C-D49E-4CE3-BA65-3EB9FD0EF6B6.jpeg

I am “You are here” at the red dot.
F25031B5-11A3-4143-BEF9-D2843038AE2D.jpeg

Also, yesterday, dinner at Arnold’s. We hit this place up for Lobster rolls twice each year... my younger son, Andrew, had his first full lobster roll this year (he had tried pieces of lobster last few years, but finally decided to have the whole thing instead of clam strips.. he loved it! My dinner bill just got larger each time.

Oh... stop at the ATM and get big bills...cash only!!
20F52DE4-DFD4-4C70-97AE-ED45CE44CB78.jpeg4E1D8955-8A0C-46E2-A1AD-06B4E6C39067.jpegD6DA9BB7-4AC0-4E33-B3E8-31D74D00F756.jpeg

Will a name drop get me in, Ed?
444EAD3E-DA98-44C9-9FEE-596EC026DCD6.jpeg

Waiting in virtual queue return line at Gideon’s for some big azz cookies! Busy here today (Sat before Easter) and cool/windy, but beautiful and having fun. We ate at Earl (3 of us had the grilled cheese..SO good) where I also had black and white cookie. Still have Joffrey’s donuts to sample along with the rest. When I go to Disney, I go to get my sugar on!!! Got here about 11 AM...drooped family and then took trailer to Kissimmee KOA. Set up and came back. Will return here tomorrow for awhile after pulling out of KOA tomorrow. With trailer in tow tomorrow, get rockstar surface lot parking in the “Mango” lot. Dog will get some “resort” time at Best Friend’s pet hotel here tomorrow while we get our fill of the Springs before heading to grandma and grandpa for week tomorrow.
5AD66AA4-4420-4F4D-82C0-825D01F5BECE.jpeg

Will a name drop get me in, Ed?
View attachment 566790

Why yes, yes it will, Jimmy.
Iconcheers_zps2d1971b8.gif
. I recommend a Crooked Can brew on tap from the stand out front.

Enjoy your brief time in Central Florida there before you head toward the coast.

Bama Ed

PS - IIRC your family is on the Tampa side? On the way down there you might stop at Plant City off I4 and get a Strawberry Shortcake at Parkesdale Farm Market.

Photo-Jan-12-10-06-33-AM-768x1365.jpg

It's an easy off I4, eat the cake, get back on at the next exit. It's a great farmer's market for local produce and they only can serve up the shortcake when the strawberries are available in the spring. I think in April they still have them and the cake.

https://parkesdale.com/

3702 W Baker St, Plant City, FL 33563

I stop at Parkesdale every time I've been down that way (in strawberry shortcake season or out) which has been twice. I enjoy it. I plan to stop there again next January.

Why yes, yes it will, Jimmy.
Iconcheers_zps2d1971b8.gif
. I recommend a Crooked Can brew on tap from the stand out front.

Enjoy your brief time in Central Florida there before you head toward the coast.

Bama Ed

PS - IIRC your family is on the Tampa side? On the way down there you might stop at Plant City off I4 and get a Strawberry Shortcake at Parkesdale Farm Market.

Photo-Jan-12-10-06-33-AM-768x1365.jpg

It's an easy off I4, eat the cake, get back on at the next exit. It's a great farmer's market for local produce and they only can serve up the shortcake when the strawberries are available in the spring. I think in April they still have them and the cake.

https://parkesdale.com/

3702 W Baker St, Plant City, FL 33563

I stop at Parkesdale every time I've been down that way (in strawberry shortcake season or out) which has been twice. I enjoy it. I plan to stop there again next January.
We have done this in our past life when we (wife and I) lived in Orlando area and Celebration before our foolish (but necessary) move to CT in 2005. It is good!!

You are correct, we are headed to Venice on the Gulf coast for my parents house. Looks to be warmed back up to 78-80 for the week after the brief cool down these last few days with the front. Thank you!

My oldest son had decided about a year ago he wants to be a pilot like me. So, I surprised him with a discovery flight today at Venice Airport here by my parents!
AF2D7C6A-26B7-415D-8CC8-6B72A7170FFE.jpeg

543E74BC-DF91-469C-9BC5-43A5955C36D4.jpeg

I had planned all ready to do this this summer, but on spur of moment thought I would do it here where I soloed, got my license and flight instructed, so it was a surprise that I very much enjoyed revealing! I rode in back...was a great flight up to Sarasota and back... he got a chance at the controls on the way back to Venice and did very good according to the instructor. We are off to celebrate with ice cream from a local place that is very good. Later taking our dog on his first visit to beach as we have a dog beach here in Venice. Otherwise we have been doing pool, beach, and eating our favorite treats from here!

He looks like he's going to be a chip off the ol' block, Jimmy! :thumbsup2

How cool! I did the discovery flight way back in ’87, it was fun but nothing I wanted to pursue.

Duke enjoyed the beach yesterday evening...he ran with lots of other dogs and got himself fully into the water. This was his first time ever at a beach. He loved it!
8D20DE02-3128-4BA8-B909-647401874536.jpeg4FED956E-156B-4F31-897A-B77A71FE0A91.jpeg6577CE07-7624-46EE-AFFD-3C346AFE763C.jpeg

We are at Sarasota Jungle gardens this morning where you can feed the flamingos and take your picture with the birds.
DAE2A423-C6B9-4B2C-B9EE-A7ADABDD9E37.jpeg

Well…back in Eastham, MA on Cape Cod for our annual trip. Not camping (as usual for this trip), but one day I definitely want to stay here in the camper at the Atlantic Oaks Campground in Eastham… it is right on the Cape Cod Rail trail which is an impressive 25+ mile network of bike trails on the old railroad beds here on Cape Cod from Yarmouth out to Wellfleet with several off shoots/extensions to different locales.

I have posted previously on this thread pictures from our Cape Cod trip (from last year), so I will endeavor to put up a few pics and descriptions of different things this time. However, one MUST put a picture of the “lobstah” (as they say in Boston) rolls each year….

4E9C572C-B6C6-480B-9296-4D96D99D771E.jpeg

My mother-in-law and I had one as well… my wife had the baked scallop dinner

01F52E1D-CBE8-4C6A-AD14-2E9571B4A6D9.jpeg

Day 1, July 10:

We drove out leaving home at 8:30 AM for the approximately 3 1/2 hour (no traffic) drive from CT to Eastham. We typically take 2 cars (one is my wife, 2 boys and I with all of our stuff…the other is my MIL with all her stuff. We meet up just off of highway and drive together). This year, however, I had to be “on call” for Saturday and Sunday, so I took my truck as well and we made a convoy of three this time out. Drive was typical with a period of weekend heavy back up traffic approaching the Bourne Bridge going over the Cape Cod Canal (Borne Bridge and Sagamore bridge are the 2 auto bridges over the canal and were built from 1933 to 1935 and replaced earlier bridges built over the canal which itself was opened/completed in 1914).

As we approach bridges on highway.. sign updated with current year each year…

FF482D24-76AD-4D14-9A90-D702FB97FA30.jpeg

Also, wife still learning about her new car… she saw this on the way (it knows her so well…mmm… coffee)

0DBCB30C-1467-430E-882B-E4A247AB1DB7.jpeg

Made it to Cooke’s Seafood (our traditional first stop restaurant) where I had fried clam strips, boys had grilled shrimp, MIL had baked scallops and wife had veggie burger.

After filling up, we made next traditional stops at Christmas Tree Shops (started out as tons of Christmas “stuff” back at original location, but has grown over time to a network of stores in New England with everything from beach stuff/needs (towels, lotion, toys, umbrellas, etc), various food stuffs(cookies, candy, drinks, snacks), knick knacks, souvenirs, and so on (depending on store location. After that was off to Cuffy’s (a Cape Cod Store with Cape Cod sweatshirts - their most popular item, especially for people who found out it’s cooler than they were expecting and didn’t bring any from home..lol…middle July can still be cool here sticking out into Atlantic - tee shirts, and so on). I have several from here and buy one about every other year it seems.

After stores we headed to the Salt Pond Visitor Center at the Cape Cod National Seashore… it was nice to have the buildings open this year again (after last years pandemic closures). There is a neat little museum inside with many artifacts and photos showing/discussing life of both the original natives of CapeCod as well as if the settlers and sailers who lived here early on. I enjoy seeing it every time! It’s funny to think that Cape Cod (like many parts of New England a long time ago) was practically stripped of all wooded areas for wood to use in construction and to clear land for farming. It was only AFTER the land on Cape Cod started to become not as good for farming anymore that the sea and fishing became a larger part of the life here. Anyway, I could go on and on about Cape Cod history and such.There are many things I would love to do (and not enough time for all) but I could easily just come out here for an extended period and get myself immersed in the natural and human/settler history of Cape Cod. Highly recommend for history buffs to come here.

Photo opportunity at the Salt Pond Visitor Center (that IS the “salt pond” in the back ground…originally a “kettle pond” which are the freshwater ponds on Cape Cod that formed when glacial ice from last ice age melted and filled depressions on the land leaving behind fresh water ponds. This particular pond is close to the shore and a long long time ago the ocean broke through to it and now it is connected to the ocean and has tidal flow in and out…a very popular place for clamming and exploring. They offer ranger guided kayaking tours.
213A95E2-370B-41C7-B2E6-01901BC6AAFB.jpeg

Also, rather than at Cuffy’s this year, I bought a Cape Cod National Seashore sweatshirt:

B64AA397-A337-4863-8A7A-241FF7F00CB4.jpeg

My wife was happy as this was something other than the black or gray I usually tend to buy..

Next was off to check into our rental house.. got settled there and then headed off to catch part of a baseball game between the Harwich Mariners and the Chatham Anglers… 2 teams in the Cape Cod baseball league (which is made of of 10 teams at different Cape Cod towns) and happens each summer. College players from Eastern US. make up the teams and many MLB players are former players on the league. 2021’s MLB draft first round #1 pick was a 2019 CapeCod league player.

3891F8B9-159D-4033-A206-6EA1E5D271F4.jpeg

After 5th inning son was getting hungry so headed with him (only the 2 of us had gone to game) headed back four our other first night usual.. pizza from the Red Barn (pizza, mini golf, arcade, souvenir/candy store type place that’s been here since we were kids and before). Good first day.

Last edited:
Day 1, July 10:

We drove out leaving home at 8:30 AM for the approximately 3 1/2 hour (no traffic) drive from CT to Eastham. We typically take 2 cars (one is my wife, 2 boys and I with all of our stuff…the other is my MIL with all her stuff. We meet up just off of highway and drive together). This year, however, I had to be “on call” for Saturday and Sunday, so I took my truck as well and we made a convoy of three this time out. Drive was typical with a period of weekend heavy back up traffic approaching the Bourne Bridge going over the Cape Cod Canal (Borne Bridge and Sagamore bridge are the 2 auto bridges over the canal and were built from 1933 to 1935 and replaced earlier bridges built over the canal which itself was opened/completed in 1914).

As we approach bridges on highway.. sign updated with current year each year…

View attachment 588760

Also, wife still learning about her new car… she saw this on the way (it knows her so well…mmm… coffee)

View attachment 588763

Made it to Cooke’s Seafood (our traditional first stop restaurant) where I had fried clam strips, boys had grilled shrimp, MIL had baked scallops and wife had veggie burger.

After filling up, we made next traditional stops at Christmas Tree Shops (started out as tons of Christmas “stuff” back at original location, but has grown over time to a network of stores in New England with everything from beach stuff/needs (towels, lotion, toys, umbrellas, etc), various food stuffs(cookies, candy, drinks, snacks), knick knacks, souvenirs, and so on (depending on store location. After that was off to Cuffy’s (a Cape Cod Store with Cape Cod sweatshirts - their most popular item, especially for people who found out it’s cooler than they were expecting and didn’t bring any from home..lol…middle July can still be cool here sticking out into Atlantic - tee shirts, and so on). I have several from here and buy one about every other year it seems.

After stores we headed to the Salt Pond Visitor Center at the Cape Cod National Seashore… it was nice to have the buildings open this year again (after last years pandemic closures). There is a neat little museum inside with many artifacts and photos showing/discussing life of both the original natives of CapeCod as well as if the settlers and sailers who lived here early on. I enjoy seeing it every time! It’s funny to think that Cape Cod (like many parts of New England a long time ago) was practically stripped of all wooded areas for wood to use in construction and to clear land for farming. It was only AFTER the land on Cape Cod started to become not as good for farming anymore that the sea and fishing became a larger part of the life here. Anyway, I could go on and on about Cape Cod history and such.There are many things I would love to do (and not enough time for all) but I could easily just come out here for an extended period and get myself immersed in the natural and human/settler history of Cape Cod. Highly recommend for history buffs to come here.

Photo opportunity at the Salt Pond Visitor Center (that IS the “salt pond” in the back ground…originally a “kettle pond” which are the freshwater ponds on Cape Cod that formed when glacial ice from last ice age melted and filled depressions on the land leaving behind fresh water ponds. This particular pond is close to the shore and a long long time ago the ocean broke through to it and now it is connected to the ocean and has tidal flow in and out…a very popular place for clamming and exploring. They offer ranger guided kayaking tours.
View attachment 588735

Also, rather than at Cuffy’s this year, I bought a Cape Cod National Seashore sweatshirt:

View attachment 588737

My wife was happy as this was something other than the black or gray I usually tend to buy..

Next was off to check into our rental house.. got settled there and then headed off to catch part of a baseball game between the Harwich Mariners and the Chatham Anglers… 2 teams in the Cape Cod baseball league (which is made of of 10 teams at different Cape Cod towns) and happens each summer. College players from Eastern US. make up the teams and many MLB players are former players on the league. 2021’s MLB draft first round #1 pick was a 2019 CapeCod league player.

View attachment 588753

After 5th inning son was getting hungry so headed with him (only the 2 of us had gone to game) headed back four our other first night usual.. pizza from the Red Barn (pizza, mini golf, arcade, souvenir/candy store type place that’s been here since we were kids and before). Good first day.

Alabama has two players on the Wareham Gateman in the Cape Cod League, 4077, in case they come your way during vacation. Jim Jarvis at shortstop and Owen Diodotti at OF/DH. There may be more in the league but the best college baseball is here in the SEC.

Only two months till fall baseball practice opens up and we see the new signees in practice (MLB draft currently ongoing selected several of our players in the mid-rounds today to make room for these incoming freshmen). Strange/good for us to have our players drafted like this again and it's a sign of Bama's improvement.

Would love to be able to watch some summer baseball in person.

Hope your family has fun on its vacation!

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter