Just back. A message from a scooter user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendylovesdisney

DIS Veteran
Really this is a request from me, appealing to everyone’s humanity. Please reach deep into your hearts and think about what this time of year, and what Disney World represents, before you voice mean comments to people who you have decided either don’t deserve to be in a scooter, or what kind of person is even in a scooter.
I have just returned from what was supposed to be a sister trip without other family. My sister has battled cancer for a long time. Diagnosed at 35 and she takes much care with her appearance. It makes her feel better. She chooses outfits and matching jewelry. She looks too young for what some people have decided is someone who “deserves” to ride on a scooter. Yet, beyond what people casually see, is a lady whose bones were destroyed from years of chemo and twice a day radiation. The entire skin on her upper torso is scarred and twisted. No breasts. Most skin removed in general. Not even enough was left for her so that clothes don’t irritate her and still make her chest bleed. Her legs are bowed when she stands. She is short of breath to walk even small distances. She takes morphine every single day. She still manages to raise an autistic child. He was only 5 when she was diagnosed. Does she deserve to ride a scooter and enjoy her trip at Disney?
My portion of my trip was paid by my sister. In the last year I developed a neurological problem where at times I can’t even grasp a tooth brush. Sometimes I can’t walk at all. I had to quit working and could not drive. I’m broke because I stopped working. But do you know what I was before this happened? A nurse. I sweated blood taking care of people and their loved ones. I’ve been bled on, puked on, spit on and assaulted through my job. I still gave respect and did my job. I gave up holidays and birthdays to be at work taking care of other people. I also have a child who is not neuro typical and dread the idea that I might not live a long time to be able to take care of her. Do I “deserve” to be at Disney and ride a scooter?
This was a week that was supposed to allow my sister and I to bond without the pressure of family life and allow us to spend time together as we do not live in the same state.
Instead. We were insulted so many times it colored our entire time. Daily people made comments to us that were intended for our ears as opposed to the people that they were with. We were called every incantation of fat, ****ing, lazy ***** you can string together. At one point a man who was pushing a stroller and walking hand in hand with a little girl who appeared to be 5 was asked by her, “daddy what’s that?” - our scooters were decorated with tinsel and lights so we could be festive. For YOU to enjoy as well as us. What he replied (very loudly to make sure I heard) was; “that’s for people who are too lazy to walk”. That was the message he wanted this innocent child to receive and take away. At Christmas. In Disney.
One evening we were parked next to Chefs de France against the building. Scooters off. Not in the walkway. Bothering no one. I was speaking to a man who had come to check out my scooter because it seemed to be malfunctioning. Literally as I was explaining to the gentleman how rude people had been to us, another person walked by and made some variation of the lazy *****es comment.
At another point as I was driving by, a man who was holding a child said he should have her kick me in the head as I went by.
I want to say not once did I run into anyone. Did I cut anyone off. Was I rude. I was very aware that people walk in front of you and you have to make instant stops that end up jerkin you forward while the other person goes on their merry way.
My end point is that no one should be treated badly. Please find some scrap of humanity before you verbally lash out at people you don’t know. I’m not sure if it’s our social climate now that makes people feel more free to lash out and be negative. I don’t know.
But please do not ruin another persons trip. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am so sorry you and your sister had to listen to that garbage. I was there in August with my 85 year mother and she was using a scooter for the first time. She loved being able to be somewhat independent without me pushing her in a wheelchair. We didn't run into or hear any negativity. It seems like the crowds and stress of the holidays does leave some people with a grinchy attitude instead of a joyful one. I hope your next trip will be better! Merry Christmas to you and your sister!

I'm sorry this happened to you. I know you could have stay in the castle for a week, but have one person say something bad when you are trying your best to move forward moment by moment, it's crushing.

When we were there with DH wheelchair, we had good comments. I had strung lights on the wheels. Lots on "cool wheels" comments. Made DH feel better about needing to use a chair.

Words are more powerful than people believe.

Twice I also had people make fun of me and talked about how I was drunk, which of course I wasn’t. So apparently when I satisfy someone’s need to see me walk and not be on a scooter, then I get humiliated and be the butt of jokes for being “drunk”.

I really don’t want this thread to be fodder for people to attack the dreaded scooter users. And I don’t need sympathy. I don’t need to be convinced of anything or hear that I’m ok, it’s the “other” scooter users who are the problem.
I REALLY, TRULY, am hoping that I can touch at least one persons heart who maybe will realize that they don’t know why someone is in a scooter. And worst case scenario, even if someone was in a scooter because they are “lazy” (which seems to be the favorite attack word of people), why be the type of person to be mean and nasty. You are not putting people in their place. You are being a bully. And that is nothing to be proud of.

You should not have to endure negative, rude cruel comments. No one should.

After pushing my elderly mother around the parks in a wheelchair on several trips I can attest that wheelchair users get the benefit of the doubt and are treated with much more compassion and patience than scooter users.

When he was young (in his mid 40's) my father suffered from a hidden disability. Occasionally, he would get a rude comment when he was seen parking in a handicapped spot and walking to the store. People assumed he was healthy and abusing the handicapped placard.

OTOH, I have two friends (mother and daughter) who do not need any assistance in their regular life who rented scooters in WDW and were those obnoxious terrors people talk badly about.

You cannot deny that there are scooter users who drive badly, act entitled and are rude and I think that is where some of the hostility comes from. I would never do or say anything to hurt the feelings of someone I don't know but there are times my inside voice has a lot to say.

So sorry you had to run into a bunch of rude and nasty people.
The older I get and the more I go to church I see the evil and nasty in some people.

I hope you have a blessed Christmas and a great new year.

Ron

This hurts my heart. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It makes me depressed to think of how people behave in front of their children, as well. Nice role models there.

My sympathies for having to endure rude people. As my wife constantly reminds me the reason someone is in a scooter is not something others can easily see all the time. We wear fitbits and can tell you that during our last trip we averaged over 9 miles of walking each day. We each have our problems but have not yet needed scooters but at some point if we continue to go will.

I think the biggest problem is those who decide they need a scooter for a trip and have never used one before. They tend to have accidents and are not used to being in one and therefore give all scooter users a bad reputation.

I'm very sorry for your sad experiences. if you can, try to remember the good ones.

I have a disabled daughter that I push in a wheelchair, and yes, there have been times when someone has said something that bring tears to my eyes. I just try to remember that I cannot control the actions or words of other people. Goodness knows, I have a hard enough time controlling myself. Thank you for your gentle reminders. :flower3:

I just don't get these types of thread.
The OP in these types of threads tends to make it seem as though we the posters on Disboards have to be nicer people in the parks instead of realizing we are the ones that get how they feel so no need to preach to us.
If you want to rant then feel free but don't disguise it as a PSA.
My suggestion is speak up at the time to the people being rude at the park. Maybe they will learn a thing or two.

The OP in these types of threads tends to make it seem as though we the posters on Disboards have to be nicer people in the parks instead of realizing we are the ones that get how they feel so no need to preach to us.
My suggestion is speak up at the time to the people being rude at the park. Maybe they will learn a thing or two.
I actually think this is a very important thread for some people on the boards to read. I have seen many threads recently where people have complained about scooters, maybe they will think twice now. I also find it interesting you would choose to reply to a thread encouraging people to be kind in such an obtuse manner.
Sorry about your experiences OP, a little reminder to be kind never hurt anybody, hope you all have a happy Christmas.

So sad that this OP had such a negative experience. Even sadder that people think she shouldn't have even posted this. I see people rally around those "ECV Hating Threads" but when it's a post done by someone in an ECV they should just not post?

My mom used an ECV during our first Disney trip in October. My mom is a double lung transplant survivor and has no endurance at all to walk long distances. Without an ECV there is no way we could have done Disney. It is so sad when people make negative comments about those who need mobility assistance. They have no idea what people are going through and it costs nothing to be a nice and kind person. Doing Disney in an ECV is very stressful and I honestly believe that the vast majority of people would much rather not half to rely on a scooter. My mom would LOVE to be able to walk from the hotel room to the elevator without needing to stop and take a break.

I am heartbroken OP that you had to put up with so much negativity : (

Although I have never heard negative comments as my DH moves along in an ECV I remember many years ago when I did see several young people switching positions as riders and walkers with one scooter. I thought nothing of it until we passed the scooter rental place at park exit and there were none left for anyone who might need one to use. Even I had to rent one twice last trip since I was overwhelmed with the heat and felt too tired to walk on my own in the afternoon. Rest, sufficient water and better meals helped me avoid one for the next few days but I'm sure a few people must have wondered why this healthy appearing woman was riding one.

People don't see my husband's disability until he gets off the ECV we rent from outside the parks. Then they notice his extreme tilt to one side, a result of scoliosis and other spinal deformities. Walking even a short distance using a crutch is difficult and painful for him. Disney is one of the very few places he can travel easily with us and experience shows, meals and fun.

I understand the OP's concerns. She is dealing with many issues and a desire for her sister to enjoy Disney without the negativity which she can't control. My heart also goes out to everyone in her family and I hope she has found some special moments to mark this trip!

Sigh. People on vacation are often at their best ... or worst. Coming from a family that has been blessed with general good health, your journey seems unimaginable to me. I'm sorry that anything happens that makes it even worse, including the comments of some insenistive jerks. I will admit that sometimes I speak before I think (not to the point I would insult somebody in a scooter, but not perfect either). This is a good reminder and lesson. Thank you for reminding me that empathy and compasion should not be sacrificed for the expediency and judgement that seems to take over our lives sometimes. Thank you for your years of helping people and continuing to help people with your voice. Keep doing good!

I'm sorry that you had to be subjected to those comments on your trip and hope that you still had a great time with your sister! I do think it's important for us all to be reminded that disabilities and other challenges are not always obvious. You can never go wrong with kindness :-)

I would like to think that everyone on these boards are the epitome of kindness and manners, but that’s not exactly true. I did not really think my post was a PSA, but I suppose it can be viewed that way.
There are plenty of people here who harbor ill will towards scooters. I’m just a real person, who had real experiences, and I’m asking people who might have those negative views to please reconsider before they decide they are going to publicly express them in such a horrible fashion.

I’m sorry that my post offends your sensibilities and that you had to take time out of your day to comment about how you’re bothered by my account of people being mean. You’ve proven my point about needless negative expressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter