Just back and holy wah did someone get over served!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family likes to try new foods as well, but I haven't really seen any F&W foods that I wasn't able to get elsewhere for less money, and often better quality.

While eating onsite is often convenient, venturing offsite to dine has many rewards. There are a number of inexpensive and interesting options close to WDW. Equivalent offsite meals cost a fraction of onsite meals, taste better, and your dollars can help support small businesses.

We aren't going just for F&W. It just happens to be going on when we go. We're going during Jersey Week since DD won't have to miss much school. But we decided to go in November instead of August in hopes of seeing some Xmas decorations and to avoid the summer heat. F&W just so happened to fall in line with our dates.

I'm not in any way advocating this, but it is entirely possible to drink alcohol in one's room at, say, the Beach Club, then walk over to the back gate of Epcot.

While I'd guess the CM's keep some folks out if they look too intoxicated, they also don't require 100% sobriety either.

Pregaming. I still do this when going out with friends. :rolleyes1

Just want to disagree with those that say Food and Wine is an "adult" event. Just because alcohol is served doesn't mean everyone drinks it! I love the F&W Festival but I don't always drink when there. I simply go to experience/eat the great foods! And I have a DD who loves to do the same. Even before she became of drinking age she thoroughly enjoyed going! I also have a grandson that is 11 yrs old and he loves eating all different kinds of foods and would kill to be able to enjoy Epcot at this time of year!! He hasn't had the opportunity yet because of school... but maybe next year!

By that logic, you could say almost everything is a family event, unless there are hard age limits imposed. Vegas is a family event, Mardi Gras is a family event, Carnival in Brazil is a family event, KWIM? At the end of the day, many adults go with other adults to F&W and they aren't going to hold back on what they want to do because kids are there. It's just not going to happen.

I do think there is a rule that you can only buy two drinks per person at a time. Not sure how that guy, you mentioned, bought 8 beers. I was in the beer line at Germany and the folks ahead of me, as well as myself, were only allowed two each. I was buying for DH and I.

That's what I thought too... But each guy bought 8 beers, let me say this I thought they each paid for 8 beers as they were given 8 beers... So I don't know if it was a matter of someone's friends with a CM working the booth and they were letting them slide through, or giving away free beer, or some other side deal...

In all my years of going to WDW I have never seen a drunk person puke at Epcot. I have however, MANY TIMES, seen both adults and children puke on or immediately after a ride, seen kids literally just lean over and puke while walking in the parks, been in a restroom where someone was puking in the stall next to me, etc. If someone is concerned about being subjected to people vomiting at Epcot they might want to rethink their vacation plans. You are more likely to experience someone getting sick at WDW because they are hot, over stimulated, motion sick, and eating too much junk food than because they are drunk.

With that said, we used to stay away from Epcot on the weekends and evenings during F&W when our son was younger because it gets crazy crowded and as the day goes on the "drinking groups" get rowdy. It was never a big deal. There are plenty of other places to go in WDW. When the "atmosphere" in Epcot started to feel different as it got later we would simply leave and go someplace else. Having our son exposed to people who were being loud and obnoxious because they were drunk was actually an excellent teaching moment.

My DH and I enjoy F&W and don't let the loud, obnoxious drunks bother us. Sadly, we encounter loud, obnoxious guests at WDW who are stone sober as well. I don't let those people ruin our fun either. Now the crowds at F&W in the evenings and weekends??? The crowds affect our enjoyment of the event more than a few rowdy drunks ever will. So when it starts to feel too crowded we leave and go someplace else.

That's what I thought too... But each guy bought 8 beers, let me say this I thought they each paid for 8 beers as they were given 8 beers... So I don't know if it was a matter of someone's friends with a CM working the booth and they were letting them slide through, or giving away free beer, or some other side deal...
Huh. I bet they were CMs. Interesting.

I just remembered something that intregued us on our last trip. DH, SIL, BIL and I were at F&W and walking through France where there was a big group sitting at tables next to the permanent grand Marnier slushie kiosk. They had all their empty slushie glasses stacked like a pyramid. Impressed, I did a double take and then a quick count and math lesson to realize they had $200 just in empties I roughly counted. They all also had new full slushies.

I don't see the big deal in spending a few hundred bucks for a night of drinking in Epcot. People spend that on a signature meal at Disney. V&A is crazy expensive. Dessert parties are pricey. Maybe they decided we won't do this so we can do that. People spending hundreds of dollars for one event at Disney isn't surprising at all. Especially when you're already spending in the thousands.

I just remembered something that intregued us on our last trip. DH, SIL, BIL and I were at F&W and walking through France where there was a big group sitting at tables next to the permanent grand Marnier slushie kiosk. They had all their empty slushie glasses stacked like a pyramid. Impressed, I did a double take and then a quick count and math lesson to realize they had $200 just in empties I roughly counted. They all also had new full slushies.

That was probably us.

I don't see the big deal in spending a few hundred bucks for a night of drinking in Epcot. People spend that on a signature meal at Disney. V&A is crazy expensive. Dessert parties are pricey. Maybe they decided we won't do this so we can do that. People spending hundreds of dollars for one event at Disney isn't surprising at all. Especially when you're already spending in the thousands.
This is so true. We were there 7 nights in our DVC resort. I drove down and we both drove back home. We used a SW voucher for DH's flight down. I was actually there 8 nights and stayed at POP the first night for $137. We both already had APs. But above all that we spent $1500 :eek:. About $100 of that was on souvies but the rest was food and booze for DH and I. We had a dessert party booked too but cancelled it saving $240 (since I booked for us and in-laws). It is easy to spend a nice little chunk there. Though I think we did well with $100/person a day.

Last edited:
This is so true. We were there 7 nights in our DVC resort. I drove down and we both drove back home. We used a SW voucher for DH's flight down. I was actually there 8 nights and stayed at POP the first night for $137. We both already had APs. But above all that we spent $1500 :eek:. About $100 of that was on souvies but the rest was food and booze for DH and I. We had a dessert party booked too but cancelled it saving $260 (since I booked for us and in-laws). It is easy to spend a nice little chunk there. Though I think we did well with $100/person a day.

We spent a good chunk one night at Epcot and very true that it's easy to spend that much without even realizing it. We left the kids in the room at BC and had a date night. We just ate and drank around the world. It was a lot of fun and it wasn't even F&W.

I can't even drink red wine due to sulfa allergies. I'm scared most times to drink white wine because of my allergy. But I'll drink most everything else, except beer. :drinking1

On any given day at Epcot people can get rowdy and out of control.

FWIW, when i've been to Epcot (only outside of F&W), i've never experienced people getting rowdy and out of control.

Yeah but see WDW is not a place just for kids..it really isn't.

I'm floored that you actually said that. The public has always associated Disney Corp. with family entertainment. If you Google "Florida family vacation locations", and go to the results, WDW is listed in there.

IMHO, Disney is trying to grab any new sources of revenue it can. But, if the parks get the reputation for drunken rowdiness, they'll lose families. Not good in the long run.

I'm floored that you actually said that. The public has always associated Disney Corp. with family entertainment. If you Google "Florida family vacation locations", and go to the results, WDW is listed in there.

IMHO, Disney is trying to grab any new sources of revenue it can. But, if the parks get the reputation for drunken rowdiness, they'll lose families. Not good in the long run.
I'm not quite certain why you are floored by it, respectfully. It's an opinion shared by many many people.

The concept that it's only acceptable for children at WDW is not in line with Walt's purpose. I don't often even bring up Walt nor am I trying to say "what would Walt do/say, etc" but it is the truth that he didn't not designate WDW as a place just for kids.

And think about this from a standpoint if you do say that WDW is a place just for kids...once your kids reach an arbitrary age that means you are no longer welcomed at WDW because well your kids are kids anymore. Have you been to WDW before? Because surely you would have seen many different compositions of travelling parties.

And I never said WDW isn't a place for kids....I said it isn't a place just for kids. A very large difference. You'd have to be living underneath a rock (no offense) to not realize that WDW is a place where families can go...the key is so can other people.

First, please reread my post. I never said Disney was for kids only. I said it is considered by the public to be "family entertainment." That's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the general public. If you do a Google search, as I did, WDW is listed as one of the Florida family entertainment locations.

Whether that is true nor not, that is the perception and in this case, perception is indeed reality.

In fact, when I Googled "Walt Disney World", this is what the results came back as "Welcome to Walt Disney World. Come and enjoy the magic of Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL. Plan your family vacation and create memories for a ..."

So even Disney is billing WDW as the place where you can have your family vacation.

And yes, i've been to all the WDW parks and DL as both an adult and a child.

I'm not a prude, but watching drunks puke in the bushes or act belligerant to be any form of family entertainment at all. That behavior is associated with adult entertaiment locations, like a bar or "bar district" if your town has that.

Maybe the family vacations i've had as a child or adult are different, but they never involved anyone getting drunk.

If that is the entertainment that is sought by Disney, hold a special "party ticket" event where you have to be over 21 to attend.

Last edited:
Between the crowds and the chaos, F&W is not enjoyable at all anymore, personally.

The price of the wine samples this year is what put me off the F&W.

That said, the problem is not only children being exposed to drinking. I don't want to get into an argument with another guest who is feeling belligerent from drinking. That's not my idea of fun.

I was not allowed to buy more than two of any drink, which is fine. When I needed four drinks and brought my 32 year-old niece to help carry them, she was asked to show her ID. I think Disney already has solid policies at the points of sale.

Where I think that they need to step it up is with security. Where they see a group enter the park with matching, I'm-getting-drunk-around-the-world T-shirts, it's pretty obvious someone needs to keep an eye on them.

First, please reread my post. I never said Disney was for kids only. I said it is considered by the public to be "family entertainment." That's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the general public. If you do a Google search, as I did, WDW is listed as one of the Florida family entertainment locations.

Whether that is true nor not, that is the perception and in this case, perception is indeed reality.

In fact, when I Googled "Walt Disney World", this is what the results came back as "Welcome to Walt Disney World. Come and enjoy the magic of Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL. Plan your family vacation and create memories for a ..."

So even Disney is billing WDW as the place where you can have your family vacation.

I'm not a prude, but watching drunks puke in the bushes or act belligerant to be any form of family entertainment at all. That behavior is associated with adult entertaiment locations, like a bar or "bar district" if your town has that.

Maybe the family vacations i've had as a child or adult are different, but they never involved anyone getting drunk.

If that is the entertainment that is sought by Disney, hold a special "party ticket" event where you have to be over 21 to attend.

Well then boy you've got me honestly confused here.

I said:
Yeah but see WDW is not a place just for kids..it really isn't.

And you responded with:

So why are you floored then? Were you confused by my comment of saying it isn't just for kids? I don't believe I spoke of anything regarding that people see it as a family destination. In fact I never even mentioned that..you did. Of course it is a family destination..and my whole point was it's not just for families. I mean hello they do Disney weddings there (which are not cheap) and you are able to do your honeymoon there. And by the way if you notice I am not the only one in the thread who has said WDW isn't a place just for kids. Is it the wording of "isn't a place just for kids" confusing you? I suppose that could my fault.

There are PLENTY of families that don't include children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter