Just back from a week at the Polynesian -Thought

riogirl84

Earning My Ears
Just returned from my first stay at the Polynesian week of 8/13-8/20. To stay at the Poly has been a dream of mine from the 70s and because of an amazing package I was able to stay! Some thoughts and observations!

Pros- LOCATION! Cannot beat the location especially being a monorail resort!

The grounds and pool/beach area-beautiful and very nice ( not crowded past week, but not sure how I would feel during a busy time).

The food-excellent selection and excellent quality! Quick service and sit down alike!

Cons- Let me start by stating I am a HUGE Disney fan and these cons are not because I am person who bashes Disney.

1. The rooms- for a "Deluxe" IMO you are paying for convenient location only-rooms are dark, old, smelly, and not kept clean. ( example-carpet bubbling up in places and this is all over the resort not just in rooms, rusty toilet fixtures hanging off the wall, housekeeping just so-so). Also not sure if I am a fam of the walking from building to Great Ceremonial House for everything. Although we were in a very close building I would not like it at all if I was farther. I am all for a retro vibe but the 3 story walk up steps to floor was a little to motel feel for me.

2. The service-the concierge was totally incompetent and couldn't be heard that she needed to walk around the desk so I could hear her. All I asked was info about the Magic Express pick up ticket and she had no idea how to answer-in fact I think I answered question for her.

The desk was super slow and very non welcoming upon check in-disappointing for a deluxe resort.

Definitely could see the cut backs on staff because there never seemed to be enough workers.

3. Moving to the monorail service-I have been going to Disney since 1974 and never have I seen the crowds of people in line for monorail from Magic Kingdom and all 3 monorail resorts. The monorail never seemed to arrive especially at night. Now for the $$$$$ you pay to stay at a monorail resort, I would expect a little less problem, example why resort guests are waiting with parking lot guests is a joke. AND the crowds were not super large! Cannot image during peak times!

4. Not to offend anyone but I see the decline in customer service from the "younger" generation of workers in park, resorts, etc. They seem very lazy and not like the more mature workers that I see working. I don't mean all of the workers but I really noticed this time the lack of Disney magic from the younger people. I really think it's a generational thing everywhere and it seemed to get to Disney.

Overall I loved my vacation at Disney and will continue to vacation there, however I will definitely not be staying at the Poly anytime soon :( Please feel free to comment !

Thanks for the report. I agree with your points:
1. The rooms - dark, old, smelly, and not kept clean. This is a FACT!
2. The service - This is just the luck of the draw, you could have a good experience or a bad experience. It should not be this way, but it is.
3. Monorail service at monorail resorts. In my experience there was always queues to get on the monorail from the monorail resorts, again, it should not be this way, but it is.
4. Workers in park - Again, like in the resorts, this is just the luck of the draw, you could have a good experience or a bad experience. It should not be this way, but it is.

Sad to read your thoughts on the Poly - I haven't been able to stay there since the early 2000's - and it was a very special stay each time. I believe we stayed there twice, maybe three times. Such a beautiful resort. I don't mind the retro vibe at all either. I do mind "not clean" - that's not good. I doubt I'll be able to afford Poly again given how expensive it is now but if I do ever get the pleasure, I hope I don't experience what you did. I remember back in the day with AP discount paying $189 for the Poly. Those days are dead.

Thanks for the report. I agree with your points:
1. The rooms - dark, old, smelly, and not kept clean. This is a FACT!
2. The service - This is just the luck of the draw, you could have a good experience or a bad experience. It should not be this way, but it is.
3. Monorail service at monorail resorts. In my experience there was always queues to get on the monorail from the monorail resorts, again, it should not be this way, but it is.
4. Workers in park - Again, like in the resorts, this is just the luck of the draw, you could have a good experience or a bad experience. It should not be this way, but it is.
FACT? maybe it was a fact of your experience. Our room was perfect.

We stayed there in 2012 and loved it. It's probably our favorite resort so far. The color scheme is a little dark but that seems to go with the theme.

We like to try different resorts on every trip but wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Poly

What a bummer to hear. I shall take a look for myself this time as I have always wanted to stay there!!!

OP, I agree on some points. I have never stayed there but my daughter and her family did. We were frequent visitors.
I have always wanted to stay at the Poly, but could never justify the cost.

I was super excited to finally experience the rooms, atmosphere at the Poly through my daughters visit.

However, to say I was disappointed is an understatement! The room Was dirty, smelly, and run down. Not what I expected for a deluxe resort at all!

The housekeeping was awful! They ate in their room one night, five of them, and cleaned off their trays and stacked them in plain sight of housekeeping to be removed. They were never removed! After 2 days of the trays sitting there, they put them outside their door to be picked up.
However, these dirty trays were not picked up for the whole 7 days! Not only that, but several other dirty trays were left outside rooms for days on end too.
You might say, why didnt' you call housekeeping about this? Well, it is not the guests responsibility to see that trays of dirty dishes/food are picked up, esp. since they are in plain sight of housekeeping.

The monorails were also dirty and smelly with long lines. I agree that if you are paying $$$$ to stay at a deluxe monorail resort, that is disappointing that the monorails are not being taken care of.

So, I am officially over my desire to stay at the Poly. No way!. My daughter and her family wished that they had stayed where we did at POR instead of the Poly. The grandkids kept wanting to come to our resort and to stay there. I hope that this once deluxe resort's management wakes up and sees that the Poly is once again a real deluxe resort.

We stayed at the Poly Aug, 2016 and I was not impressed with the room at all either. It smelled musty and damp. Our toilet seat had dried blood on it. I took pictures and went and showed it to the manager after I called housekeeping to report it shortly after we checked in. Not impressed with the resort at all, especially after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!