Just back from WDW 12/3 - 12/13/16...

disneydreamer781

Just a little bit of pixie dust...
and I have to say it wasn't our best trip. I don't know maybe I'm getting old but some things bothered me this trip. As I mentioned in a previous post, my husband and I ran into the "entitled" few. Not all guests were that way but sometimes it only takes one to ruin your experience. I will try to do a daily diary of our experiences and they weren't all bad. The highlight of our trip was the food and the TS meals and service were very good to excellent. I will also be adding some food photos to the Dining forum along with restaurant dining reviews.

Last edited:
Saturday Dec 3

We had one night to begin trip at BLT. Arrived around 7:00 and had already received a message that our room was ready earlier so since we did online check-in, we were all set. We didn't bother unpacking much since we only had the one night so off we went in search of something to eat. I had my heart set on The Wave... but since we didn't know exactly when we would be arriving, I didn't make a reservation and decided to wing it. Got to the restaurant and was told at the desk, that they were only honoring people who had reservations. Really? I felt a bit put out by that response particularly since I went on the app and found a 9:00 reservation available afterwards but she didn't even offer to make a reservation for us. She suggested the lounge area, so we went over to the bar to find a place to sit and it was pretty much full. We did finally locate two seats together but there were dirty dishes and glasses laying there right on the bar and no one was making much of an effort to move them away. We went back to the chairs in the lounge and sat there for a bit but no one even came over to take an order. After the lukewarm service and underwhelming experience, I decided to head somewhere else. By this time, DH was getting pretty steamed and grumpy because he hadn't eaten in a while and so we just ended up at Contempo Cafe. I don't know when they got rid of the kiosks where you could place your order but that was a much better system than what they have there now. I decided on the Chicago Style Beef Sub and DH had the Griddled Hot Turkey Sandwich, which was not only "griddled" but was ice cold. Both came with fries which at least were hotter than my husband's "hot griddled" sandwich. The Chicago Style Beef sub was pretty good for a quick service but I was afraid to ask DH what he thought of his sandwich. DH is one of those people who most of the time just says "fine" if you ask him anyway. It drives me crazy! So if he even says something was good, then you can assume he really liked it. Contempo Cafe has decent food but the place is sensory-overload hell! You try to block out and rise above the din but after 30 minutes of tired and screaming children, I'd had enough.

After dinner we took a look through stores at the Contemporary. I have to say for me, that the CRT stores are the best of the monorail resorts. Disney also has really stepped in up in the merchandise department. A few years ago, it looked like every shirt was hit with the ugly stick, but this year they had some really adorable tees. Too bad they don't carry them in a lot of sizes. That did seem to be an ongoing issue throughout the trip. If I could have found anything that wasn't either XS or S, I probably would have spent a bit more on merchandise. After walking around for a while, we headed to our room for an early start at MK the next day.

Next up MK and MVMCP...

Last edited:
Sunday Dec 4 - MK and MVMCP (Check-in to Wilderness Lodge)

Got an early start on a very humid morning and dropped off luggage at WL, parked the rental and took the boat to MK. I was looking forward to catching the Main Street Trolley Show but first had to pick up our APs at the Will Call. Well when we got to the Will Call the lines were very long. I was just telling my husband that a guest shouldn't have to wait in a line like this to pick up a pass when a CM came along and called out people who were there to pick up passes and then sent us along to another kiosk. Guess what? No line. I have to say that was greatly appreciated. I still don't understand why a guest cannot pick up an AP at their resort? It's just one thing about Disney that bothers me and that is the fact that at times they are not interested in making things like this easier and less time consuming for the guest. After that we had to get through Security and ended up not only with a bag check but we had to go through the metal detectors. I know it's necessary after what has recently transpired in WDW and Florida itself, so if you want to get to MK to make an early FP or a meal at least plan on an extra hour. It took approximately a 1/2 hour to get through Security.

Once we got our passes we headed to Main Street to catch the 10:10 Trolley Show. I haven't seen this show in years and every time I'm on Main Street that song just seems to come into my head. You know the one, right? Well, guess what? I never heard that song, I got a Christmas carol instead! So disappointed! :(

From there we lingered on Main Street for photos and to take a look in the stores before our 11:40 Jungle Skipper Canteen reservation. We had a bit of time so we ended up heading towards Fantasyland and doing Philarmagic our as my husband refers to it, the Philharmonic. I just love this show and I rate it as one of Disney's best. After Philarmagic we started to head towards Adventureland for our lunch reservation. I have to say, we really enjoyed our experience at JSC and I just listed food photos on the dining forum. I will also be leaving a dining review within the next couple of days. After lunch we had our first FP of the day at It's a Small World. My husband wasn't as excited as I was but I haven't been on this ride in more than 25 years so it made my list this trip. After our FP we decided to head out because we had the MVMCP that evening and we also received a text that our room was ready at WL.

MVMCP

Once we got to the room we unpacked and tried to get a least a hour of rest. I think I ended up with maybe 20 minutes. We headed back on the boat to MK for the party at about 5:15 PM. We were told that morning that our party tickets would be on our band so that was a pleasant surprise this year as in a previous year we had to wait in line for the party tickets. Once we got there, they slapped a party band on our wrist to get into the park. I also had a FP for about 4:25 for Jungle "Jingle" Cruise that we missed so off we went to our next 5:25 FP at Haunted Mansion. Once we got out of there we headed over to Tomorrowland as I had to do the Peoplemover at least once at night. I can just about miss any attraction but never have I missed the Wedway! After that we headed to Liberty Square to grab our first snack of the night at Heritage House. This was the best Treat Station of the night. They opened the doors around 7:00 PM and there were tables set up and CMs would hand you your cookies and egg nog. CMs were all dressed up and the place was also decorated. We each got 2 gingerbread cookies and a bit of eggnog. When I say a bit, I mean a real little bit of eggnog in a small cup. I really would have enjoyed more even if I had to pay for it. It was good and the gingerbread was the best cookie of the night. We did hit about 3 more treat stations but they were at QS and had cocoa, apple cider, snickerdoodles and peppermint cookies. The QS stations weren't as festive, nor for me, were the treats as good, as the station at Heritage House so if you're short on time and can only do 1 or 2 stations, at least add this one to your list.

After ingesting vast amounts of sugar, we headed towards Main Street to see if it was possible to catch the first parade. It actually wasn't too bad that night as there were plenty of spots available for both the parade and fireworks following. We did end up on the train station platform but since I couldn't see both the parade and get a direct view of the fireworks, I decided to move down to street level below the train station. We found an excellent spot there for the parade as it ends near the car barn. We didn't have a great view of fireworks but instead of going back up to train station to find a spot we went further down into Main Street. Well, I should have stayed around where we were because the we ended up in a near brush-up with a rather rude guest who rather strangely insinuated himself between us while we were waiting for the fireworks in the area between the beginning of Main Street and that hub area. We were waiting there for about 35 minutes when approximately 5 minutes before the fireworks, I feel someone standing directly behind me. I turn around and there's this older guy standing directly behind me. I mean I could feel him there and at first I thought it was my husband. My husband was just sitting right there on the stone wall where the fence is and there were also our bags between us. I had move a bit away to stretch my legs and feet as my right foot was bothering me so I was stretching it out against the wall. That's where I was when this so-called gentleman parked himself. I said to him that was my husband's spot as he was sitting right there. My husband also at the same time asked him "Can I help you with something?". The man cracked back at my husband "Can I help YOU?" rather angrily. I told him we've been waiting here and he was standing right where our bags were and I was trying to get to them. He started ranting that I wasn't standing there but was standing a few feet way. I said I was standing there because my husband was sitting right there and so were our bags. He started to get into my face and I inadvertently brushed him and he told me to get my hands off him. Like I wanted to touch this creep! I told him to back off because he was right in my face. My husband had stood up by this time and put his hand out and said "Friend, you need to calm down." After that and the fact that I mentioned getting Security he backed off and stood right in front of us which he could have done in the first place as there was plenty of room around us for anyone to view the fireworks. Like I said previously, it wasn't too crowded. Why he would step right between us like that and start a scene is beyond me? If I had stepped in between a party of people, I would have apologized and moved over. I was talking to my husband about him and I made sure he heard me but I think between my husband calming things down and me mentioning getting Security, he clammed up. While the fireworks were going on, he kept looking behind him several times, almost like he was checking to see if he was being followed. I mentioned to my husband that I think he could have been there without paying for the party. My husband thought he may already have been in an altercation with another guest and was trying to avoid someone. I think he might have been trying to blend into the crowd when he tried to get between us because that would explain why he just didn't stand in the middle of the area with very few people around him. He was wearing a jacket on a very humid night and he was acting very weird. A angry, creepy old guy all by himself. Not someone you want to run into even at MK. The fireworks were kind of ruined for me and so was the rest of the night. I don't know why but during this trip and our last one in June 2015, we're finding a lot of angry people in MK. I know MK can bring out the best in people, but for some, it just brings out the worst.

Next up EPCOT and Illuminations...

Last edited:
That's where I were I was when this so-called gentleman parked himself. I said to him that was my husband's spot as he was sitting right there. My husband also at the same time asked him "Can I help you with something?". The man cracked back at my husband "Can I help you?" rather angrily. I told him we've been waiting here and he was standing right where I bags were and I was trying to get to them. He started ranting that I wasn't standing there but was standing a few feet way. I said I was standing there because my husband was sitting right there and so were our bags. He started to get into my face and I inadvertently brushed him and he told me to get my hands off him. Like I wanted to touch this creep! I told him to back off because he was right in my face. My husband had stood up by this time and put his hand out and said "Friend, you need to calm down." After that and the fact that I mentioned getting Security he backed off and stood right in front of us which he could have done in the first place as there was plenty of room around us for anyone to view the fireworks. Like I said previously, it wasn't too crowded. Why he would step right between us like that and start a scene is beyond me? If I had stepped in between a party of people, I would have apologized and moved over. I was talking to my husband about him and I made sure he heard me but I think between my husband calming things down and me mentioning getting Security, he clammed up. While the fireworks were going on, he kept looking behind him several times, almost like he was checking to see if he was being followed. I mentioned to my husband that I think he could have been there without paying for the party. My husband thought he may already have been in an altercation with another guest and was trying to avoid someone. I think he might have been trying to blend into the crowd when he tried to get between us because that would explain why he just didn't stand in the middle of the area with very few people around him. He was wearing a jacket on a very humid night and he was acting very weird. A angry, creepy old guy all by himself. Not someone you want to run into even at MK. The fireworks were kind of ruined for me and so was the rest of the night. I don't know why but during this trip and our last one in June 2015, we're finding a lot of angry people in MK. I know MK can bring out the best in people, but for some, it just brings out the worst

That is so creepy. I remember reading another trip report where a family had problems in a park with an older man in one of the ride lines. Unfortunately I don't remember the report or the date is occured but I wonder if it was the same guy.

That is so creepy. I remember reading another trip report where a family had problems in a park with an older man in one of the ride lines. Unfortunately I don't remember the report or the date is occured but I wonder if it was the same guy.

That's scary. Who knows? It's worse though to think there's more than one of them in the park.

Monday December 5 - EPCOT and Illuminations

Woke up to another humid day in Orlando. Not feeling too well today but I hadn't for that last 2 days and of course the heat doesn't help. Just kept hoping it was nothing serious like a stomach bug. That's all I need in WDW with all that delicious food! :(

We got through Security relatively quickly and headed to our 2 FPs of the day at Spaceship Earth and Mission Space. We were done with our 2 FPs of the day by 11:15 so we had time to check out the Members Lounge at the Imagination Pavilon. This was really nice space and a break from the heat. We ended up with a couple of free drinks (non alcoholic of course) and also a selection from a snack tray that was wheeled around. After about an hour or so there we headed to WS for our lunch at the Rose & Crown at 1:10 PM (food photos and dining review coming soon in Dining forum). I always make sure to eat here every trip, without fail. Those Bangers and Mash had my name on them. When we were checking in, I requested an inside table as I wasn't feeling too well. They told me they could try but couldn't promise anything. I told them that was fine. About 5 minutes later our beeper went off and we did end up inside out of the heat. I made sure to thank the hostess after that. It was close to 2:30 when we headed out of there so I just popped into the Tea Caddy. I love that store! They had some nice soaps that I meant to go back and buy, but never did. A little short on money by the end of the trip. I guess I should have pounced on them when I had the chance. After window shopping a bit, we headed back to WL. We had a few hours to rest but that morning Joffrey's had something to say about that. I love Joffrey's but I think I only got about 20 minutes shut-eye because of it.

We headed back to EPCOT sometime between 6:00-6:30 and made a stop at Mexico. We had a bit of time until Illuminations so we both grabbed a bench and grabbed bag of popcorn. It was sooo salty that I couldn't even finish it but my husband did, much to my dismay. I did find a cart selling those delicious nuts though. There were glazed pecans and almonds. Love them both but went with the pecans this time around and they were incredible! They were so warm and yummy! We sat for a bit and people watched. EPCOT is so much more relaxing for me than MK. The people I ran into that night were so laidback and just having a good time. It started to cool down too with a nice breeze. It turned out to be a gorgeous night for the fireworks!

About 9:00 we started to line up for the FP section for Illuminations. The line was really long and I did hear a couple of people wondering if they could get in. They started letting people in about 9:10. I've learned from experience that it is not worth it to line up too early as that area is huge and there is always a lot of space. As usual, Illuminations doesn't disappoint! This is the holiday version where they play "Let there be PEAS on Earth". I always mist up when they get to that part. No drama that night and I didn't run into to any angry, creepy old men either! Everyone was happy, chilling and having a great time! It was a memorable night! All in all, it turned out to be a pretty "uneventful" day and I mean that in a positive way.

Next up EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam Dessert Party...

Last edited:
Tuesday December 6 - EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!

Awoke to a much cooler and overcast day. Morning temps in the high 50s. We had both EPCOT and DHS on our schedule for the day. After a quick and light breakfast at Roaring Forks, got to EPCOT for an early FP for Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival as I've only seen "Get A Horse" and not in this 3D. My husband enjoyed it just as much as I did. After that we had a 10:00 FP for Soarin'. I really liked the Soarin' over California but I have to say I liked this even better. We also spotted a few Hidden Mickey's so for any first-timers keep a look out! We were out of Soarin' and went right to our next FP at Livin' with the Land. I have heard people say you don't need a FP for this ride. Well, I don't know about that because this ride has always had a long line every time we've experienced it. We finished up our FPs early so we had planned to grab lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby lounge. Excellent food! I'll be leaving a review on the dining forum soon. While enjoying our delicious lunch, the skies open up and it poured buckets. Of course, the lounge is outside with just large umbrellas to cover you. We were among the lucky ones because some people were on the outer fringes of the umbrellas and had to move. I felt bad because that is not were you want to be during those awful Florida downpours. After a longer than expected lunch we headed back to WL for a short rest because we had an early turnaround for the JB, JB Dessert Party.

We headed back to DHS for the Dessert party and arrived about 5:20 pm and people were already lined up and we got in about 15-20 minutes later. I'll have a review on the dessert party later. We left a little early to get a spot for the show. We had a pretty good spot but the area was still pretty packed. I have to be honest and say, I really didn't love the show. It was OK but it wouldn't have been worth it to stand there for over a hour so for that reason I'm glad we did the dessert party. I don't really have connection with Prep and Landing so I think that may be why I wasn't crazy about it. I would have really enjoyed the SW Galactic Fireworks more since I love SW and can relate to it.

DHS was closing at 7:00 that evening so we followed along with the rest of the crowd out of the park.
15697841_1376470915697778_5160439733868690129_n.jpg

<< He was wearing a jacket on a very humid night and he was acting very weird. A angry, creepy old guy all by himself. Not someone you want to run into even at MK. The fireworks were kind of ruined for me and so was the rest of the night. I don't know why but during this trip and our last one in June 2015, we're finding a lot of angry people in MK. I know MK can bring out the best in people, but for some, it just brings out the worst.<<

I had a similar situation at MK one time and I remembered the "see something, say something". I did not want to take a chance that this guy was a pedophile. If he seemed suspicious, which he did to me, I got security, told my husband to wait for me and I told security what happened and that he seemed suspicious to me. They escorted him away from the crowd and believe out of the park, since I never saw him again. "Your" guy sounded mighty suspicious indeed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!