Just back...

3gr8boys

DIS Veteran
Just back and happy to share some thoughts about our TS meals. I will preface my comments with a few facts. We are not so much foodies as I was looking for "experiences" and keeping the 2 kids with us happy. Party was me, DH, DS11 and DS15. DH and I do not eat poultry/meat at restaurants, so that eliminates oodles of menu options right off the bat. We were not on the dining plan. We arrived Sunday afternoon April 15th (a park day) and left Saturday April 21st (not a park day). This was our 3rd family trip (1st was February 2008, 2nd was February 2014).

Jungle Navigation Co Ltd Skipper Canteen
We enjoyed dinner Sunday evening at Skipper Canteen- the food was fine (though I didn't really like the texture of the noodle salad appetizer). Our server, Darrin, was great- LOTS of corny jokes. We really enjoyed that aspect. We sat in the butterfly booth of the S.E.A. room (I requested this room when I checked in)- very cool. If we had made a return visit, I would have requested the Jungle Room- it looked pleasant too.

50's Prime Time Cafe
I really wanted to try out 50's Prime Time even though I wasn't sure how trying to get my picky DS15 to eat his vegetables would work out. It turned out to be a good Monday lunch for everyone. Our server, Quinn, was awesome. She was VERY energetic and assertive, but never negative. When DS15 ordered a milkshake for his drink, she quickly informed him that milkshakes qualified as a dessert and he would have to eat his lunch first "you'll have water." (She brought the milkshake right away anyway.) Onion rings were scrumptious and I really enjoyed my salmon with green beans and mashed potatoes. DS15 commented that the fried chicken was a little greasier than he expected. DS11 enjoyed his chicken tenders (kids meal). Quinn let them substitute french fries for the vegies I knew they wouldn't eat. Yay!

Tusker House
Monday night we ended up at AK (unplanned) so the boys wouldn't have to wait any longer to ride EE. We managed to get a last minute (quite literally) 8:15 dinner ADR for Tusker House (grabbed it then cancelled my Thursday TH lunch ADR). Our server, Alex was very friendly and attentive. The food was plentiful and good- but not really a favorite with anyone. DS11 ate his weight in mac-n-cheese. DH and I loved the chocolate pecan squares on the dessert buffet. The characters were great- Donald was happy to play charades to tell us all of the animals he saw on his recent safari.

Crystal Palace
Tuesday's Crystal Palace breakfast was a request of DS15. We had eaten there on our first family trip when he was 5. The meal was definitely DH's favorite. He started out with an omelet and enjoyed plenty else. I could live off of the puffed french toast! DS15 and DS11 happily made multiple trips to the buffet. The character interaction was fun. It really is a beautiful setting with all of the greenery and windows. This will be a must do for our next trip (hopefully sooner this time around)!

Garden Grill
We had an 8:05 Garden Grill PPO Wednesday morning. (Walked on to Soarin' before 9:00 park opening- worked out great, will totally do this again next time.) The oversized cinnamon bun was a hit and I loved the big bowl of fresh fruit. The kitchen was kind enough to serve the meat (DS11's favorite breakfast food) separate from the big skillet of eggs, tater tots and waffles. We were seated on the upper level. While we were enjoying ourselves so much at the time that I didn't think about it, looking back I would definitely request a table on the lower level.

Nine Dragons
Nine Dragons for lunch Wednesday was DS15's pick. (His favorite meal is sesame chicken at our local Chinese restaurant.) We enjoyed it so much that we ended up canceling our Friday BOG dinner (not fans of the menu, but were going to go so DH could see it as he missed it last time around) to go back. DS15 loved the honey-sesame chicken at Nine Dragons. DS11 enjoyed the plain lo mein kids plate (with shrimp the first time around and honey-sesame chicken the second). We all enjoyed the vegetable spring rolls and I thought the cucumber salad (cut up pickled cucumbers) was delicious. I wasn't sure about an iced tea involving Jasmine...but I found it quite refreshing and had it with both meals. The restaurant was very pretty, which was easier to appreciate at lunch when it was fairly empty. Service was great both times. EDITED TO ADD: almost forgot! DH and I both really liked the spinach noodles!

As I mentioned earlier, we ending up canceling our BOG ADR. The other restaurant we had planned to try was Yak & Yeti- we ending up canceling that ADR as our park hopping plans changed frequently. We will have to eat there next trip!

Last edited:

Sounds like such a fun trip! Now I want to go to Crystal Palace...........great memories from eating there when the boys were little. I'm noticing Nine Dragons popping up on more and more reviews lately and it seems to be well liked. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Thank you for the reviews. We haven't been to Garden Grill in a long time. We have to try it again!

Great report! Love CP brft and the puffy French toast! Tickled that DS18 chose to have me book it for him and friends on Senior Trip in a few weeks, telling them about French toast and made-to-order omelettes from his previous visits! pooh:Hoping to try Garden Grill PPO/ Soarin first thing next trip - was supposed to do it in Nov. w/ DD14 but was able to get Bon Voyage day before which she had wanted but we couldnt get - very good food and character interaction btw!

Great reviews we are eating at most of your restaurants in June (with the exception of Nine Dragons).

Great reviews.

We just got back yesterday. Had breakfast for the first time at Crystal Palace. Loved it.

Thank you for the reviews! We haven't eaten at Garden Grill for a very long time... sounds delish!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!