Just Horsin' Around June Exercise Challenge

Twilight Sparkle

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the June 2018 Exercise Thread! This month, in honor of my real life exercise partners, horses, we'll explore the horses of Disney. We'll discuss this a bit more once our challenge is underway, but horses played an important role in Walt's life, too.

If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal, and posts minutes toward that goal as they exercise. (You can post daily or just catch up when you can.) You decide what movement counts towards your goal, which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since June has 30 days, here are some common conversions:
15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1350
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress. This month our color changes will relate to different equine gaits. Some of these gaits are breed specific, but we'll pretend we humans are capable of all of them. We'll start off slowly and gain momentum as we reach our goals:

Walking Blue 10%
Trotting Orange 25%
Gaiting Purple 50%
Racking Pink 75%
Cantering Red 90%
Galloping Green 100%

We’re officially starting this challenge on June 1st, but if you don’t find this thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Team Members:
Twilight Sparkle - 1875/1800
Elizabeth Smith - 805/600
sophy1996 - 1420/1400
GrandAdmiralStrife - 1616/1400
PollyannaMom - 600/600

lovesmurfs - 789/1800
piglet1979 - 1876/1350

------------------------------------
Team Total - 8981/8950 Goal!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'll be heading to London, England a week from tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I will count the walking I do while I'm travelling or not, but I'll go for 600 this month.

I would think all of the walking through airports and in the city would definitely be tracking worthy. We're planning an Oct 2019 visit to London. Cannot wait! Hope you have a great trip!

In for 1400 this month.

Thanks for hosting, Twilight Sparkle!

When we were running through Disneyland for the Star Wars 5k and 10k, the only character picture I took was with one of the draft horses who pull the omnibus. :love: They had them out in front of the castle.

Happy June, everyone! We're off to a great start with PollyannaMom already posting numbers, so let's kick off this month talking about a very important horse in Walt's life.

When Walt lived in Marceline, MO, as a child, one of his neighbors was Doc Sherwood. Doc had a horse named Rupert. Also, while growing up there, Walt discovered that he liked to draw, mostly on the side of buildings (house or barn). And Walt had an aunt named Margaret who took great interest in his artistic endeavors. In a 1968 interview Roy tells a story weaving these bits of Walt's history together:

Walt recalled, “…I had an Aunt that was a very favorite aunt who would come and visit us. Her name was Aunt Margaret. She’d always bring something for my sister and she’d bring me a big tablet and these Crayola things. I was always drawing Aunt Margaret pictures. And she’d just rave over them, and she’d keep them.” (This bit is a little misleading. Walt was no longer living in 1968, so he wasn't actually present for this interview. I am not certain if Roy is repeating this recollection of Walt's or if this was taken from another interview and spliced in with the rest.)

“Aunt Margaret was the one that gave Walt his first drawing implements,” Founding director of the Walt Disney Archives Dave Smith recalls. “She must have heard about that little episode of his drawing on the side of the house with the tar because she thought, well, it would be better if he practices art on paper with a pencil…”

“She was the one used to bring him tablets and pencils, you remember the Big Chief Indian red tablet that we used to buy as kids?” Roy said. “She used to keep him supplied with those.”

“So from that he started drawing,” Dave Smith continues, “he drew a horse that was owned by the local doctor, Doc Sherwood. The horse’s name was Rupert. And Walt did this really good drawing of this horse and sold it to the good doctor. He was willing to pay for this piece of art. So that was really Walt Disney’s very first sale in the art field.”

(interview taken from waltdisney . org's blog)

And we thought it all started with a mouse! :jester: I had hoped to find an image of the Rupert sketch or actual interview footage to post here, but google and youtube failed me this time. The best I could come up with was the trailer for Walt Before Mickey. Rupert and Walt are shown in the first few seconds of the trailer.

I have not seen this movie, but it is high on my to do list now.

Last edited:
20 minute yesterday (6/2) - a partial count of minutes spent "walking" the cat, plus some marching on the mini-trampoline

and 60 minutes today (6/3) - removing Memorial Day flags at the national cemetery in Bourne

100/600

We have our first color changes today! Twilight Sparkle (me), PollyannaMom, and piglet1979 have all reaching Walking Blue! :jumping3::jumping3::jumping3:

Our team as a whole is just 260 minutes short of doing the same.

In the 1930s, under orders from his doctor to get more exercise, Walt played polo for the Riviera Country Club. He even built practice polo cages at the studio and in his backyard so he could easily practice.

latest

DEt6bBEXUAMu5uR.jpg

During his polo years, Walt also released a Mickey Mouse short called Mickey's Polo Team (1936). This short features Mickey Mouse and friends squaring off against cartoon versions of real actors:

Sadly, Walt had to stop playing polo after suffering a serious injury that resulted in neck and back issues that bothered him for the rest of his life.

If anyone knows the name of Walt's polo horse, please feel free to share. I searched for it but cannot find the answer.

DH has been walking in the morning for a few weeks now and last night we talked about me joining him for about 30 minutes. I am not a morning person at all but decided i really need to get up and do something before work. I just don't have as much time after work. So this morning I got up at 5:30 and took a 30 minute walk. DH and I usually talk a lot on our walks but not so much in the morning. We will still get a walk in the afternoon as well. I am really trying to get 13,000 steps a day.

Yesterday I got 95 minutes.

260/1350

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!