Just how casual is Mexicali/Tropical night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, please keep in mind that I am not the "be all and end all" of wearing shorts to Tropical/Mexical night.

If not, then why are you being so judgemental about everybody in shorts as if you were appointed the Shorts Nazi by DCL. ( :p ;) :) :D :p , etc. to give the false pretense that I'm just joking.) I don't know why this issue is even being debated when servers could care less what you wear at dinner and other passengers who wore long pants are thinking in their heads "Crud - wish I had the backbone to wear shorts tonight." The quesadillas and shrimp will taste the same no matter if I'm wearing shorts, slacks, or a skirt. Until DCL starts giving people the boot at the door, I'll wear shorts as will the members of my family during the tropical/mexicali dinner. To the OP, live it up - in your shorts. You will not be disappointed or feel out of place. LOTS of other passengers will be in shorts also. It is an amaziningly relaxing night in the dining rooms - very festive, very fun.

Originally posted by trishy
If not, then why are you being so judgemental about everybody in shorts as if you were appointed the Shorts Nazi by DCL. ( :p ;) :) :D :p , etc. to give the false pretense that I'm just joking.)

Wow. I don't think you should call someone a Nazi because they follow the DCL dress code. Millions of people lost their lives because of the Nazi regime and I don't think it should be thrown around lightly.

As I said, I didn't mean to offend anyone. If I did, I apologize.

hang.gif

Okay, I retract the Nazi comment for those like you who are offended - didn't mean to imply murderous intentions in any way. I just get a little ticked off when people tell other people what they should or shouldn't do based on their own personal judgement of right or wrong.

The OP wants to know if it's okay to wear shorts. The answer is "Yes, it's okay and allowed." Whether or not DCL writes it in their Navigator or tells you on the phone (which historically their "suggestions" are consistently changing depending on who you talk to), it is allowed. In addition, OP will not feel out of place because others will also be told that it is okay to wear shorts.

I don't think that any of us is going to be able to convince the other side (the "shorts are okay" folks vs. the "just wear pants you goobers" folks)... can we just all agree to disagree?

I promise that when I called DCL today and talked to one of the reservation agents, she enthusiasically said that shorts would be okay for the Tropi/Mexi night...she phrased it as "dressing to the occasion"...and compared it to dressing up extra nice on the semi-formal night.... dressing to the occasion. To me, that's capri's and a fun tropical shirt...to someone else it might be a halter and sarong.... or even a pair of really dressy shorts... I guess it's whatever you feel comfortable wearing. Trust me...I'd feel really out of place wearing pants (even dressy ones) on a formal night. I'm not saying that a person shouldn't .... I've seen some ladies wearing beautiful pants suits... ones that looked as elegant as a formal dress. But I couldn't do it. But I could wear a casual outfit on Tropi/Mexi night and feel okay.

In closing...'cause as far as I'm concerned...I've "added" as much as I can to this subject...I hope that everybody wears whatever they feel is appropriate. I will. And I hope that I haven't offended anyone either... :D

Ginny

Lets not forget that DCL does not have rules about how to dress for dinner...but rather they suggest what you should or should not wear.

No one is going to not be served if they do not follow a suggestion.

When we were on DCL in july a woman dining at the next table was dressed in a nice blouse and pair of shorts and no one kicked her out of the dining room.

A different nite we saw a man wear blue jeans to dinner. and a button up shirt.

Originally posted by S. C.
Lets not forget that DCL does not have rules about how to dress for dinner...but rather they suggest what you should or should not wear.

Amen to that S.C. !! That's what I love about DCL it is all about "suggested" dress. Whether someone thinks what someone else is wearing is inappropriate doesn't really matter in my mind. People should feel comfortable in what they're wearing.

Personally I do not feel uncomfortable with what anyone else wears for whatever night that is their choice. It doesn't spoil my cruise at all I don't know these people what should I care what they're wearing. If I wanted to go on a cruise where everyone was following a strict dress code I'd choose another cruise line. OK so I've only been on one Disney cruise but I never saw anyone dressed in a way that "offended" me.

Disney do NOT have an enforced dress code so if they're not bothered by what indiduals wear then I won't be.

When Disney want to enforce something they do e.g. no bare-chests.

Now where did I put those coconut shells and Hawaiin Skirt :p

Actually the <b>Navigator</b> states for the Tropicali night to 'remember to wear your favorite island or tropical attire this evening' - it's right there in black and white so I'll consider that as being the most accurate answer. (Also, on the Casual nights, the Navigator still specifically says 'no shorts' - it doesn't on the Tropical night.)

As Disney <i>knows</i> that most peoples favorite tropical island attire will never, ever consist of khakis, I take that as an <i>official</i> dress code 'suggestion' that they may wear shorts if they want. Equally, if that's your favorite thing - you can wear Khakis/pants. DCL gives everyone free choice that night.

Ok, two more cents from me.......I think we all go on this cruise to have fun. DCL suggests that people "dress up" on certain nights. It's more fun when everyone does it. If they don't want to join in they can go to the buffet or room service. Noone is going to make anyone uncomfortable if they go to the main dining room not dressed..........but I still think it's more fun when everyone wears the suggested attire.

It's not supposed to be anything negative. It's still YOUR vacation.:smooth:

I know there is a Tropical Deck Party oN the Wonder at 10pm. However, I am "wondering" if we dress up in our tropical wear for dinner or if that is only on the Magic? Can someone confirm this for me?

Originally posted by WebmasterPenny
Actually the <b>Navigator</b> states for the Tropicali night to 'remember to wear your favorite island or tropical attire this evening' - it's right there in black and white so I'll consider that as being the most accurate answer.

And what about the Navigators that state: "Tropical Attire. No jeans or shorts, please."

That's black and white as well. I'm just curious, would you still wear shorts if it was spelled out in such a manner?

Well I plan on wearing my tropical thong and taping hibiscus flowers over my.......................:jester: :jester: :jester:

I think this thread has served it purpose and answered the question originally posed.

There is no need to continue to argue whether or not shorts are allowed--apparently it depends on who you ask.

We also were encouraged to wear shorts, and we are sailing again in 2 weeks on the Magic, where he will again wear shorts and a tropical shirt on tropical/mexicali night.

I'm going to close the thread to further discussion because it has turned into an arguement rather than information.

Sue Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter