Just joined Weight Watchers

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
I'll leave the numbers out of it... suffice to say I'm not happy with my weight. I've always been thin, and now I don't see a thin person when I look in the mirror.

Someone at work started a WW at Work program. As I understand it, you need 15 people (at least that's the number we needed) to start one. The leader (is that the right word?) comes to our school once a week, at 4:30 pm-- after extra help and makeups, late enough that both secretaries and teachers are free to meet. The fact that I don't have leave my comfy house and go out in the cold to attend meetings was the primary reason I chose to take advantage of this opportunity to join.

We had a "getting to know what you're getting into" meeting a week ago, then our first real meeting on Thursday. While the number on the scale didn't fill my heart with joy, I think that this may be very workable.

When I got home from school on Thursday, I logged onto the app and charted my food for that day. I have a budget of 23 points (plus a weekly budget of 28 points to spend as I want.) On Thursday, I ended the day with 21 spent, so 2 extras rolled over.

Yesterday wasn't quite as good. The app was down-- or my daughter had trouble accessing it-- when we hit Wendy's for lunch, so I guesstimated. I know that ketchup is high, as is ground beef, so I ordered the bacon-cheese baked potato instead. Rookie mistake-- it's 16 points!!! Ouch!! So I took it easy at dinner, borrowed a couple of those extra weekly points, and ended the day at 26. Lesson learned. Next time I'll order more wisely.

Today, when I get through with housework, I want to make a list of each of the fast food places we frequent, and what's reasonable to order in each. (Say 0-8 or 9 points) I'll keep a copy on my Ipad, and another in my glove compartment.

But I'm really optimistic about this program. In any other diet, realizing I had used so many calories at lunch would have killed my confidence in my ability to stay on the program. But with the flexibility of the WW program, I ended up still pretty much on track.

Anyone else a WW newbie, or interested in joining me on this journey? I would LOVE to be at my goal of 25 pounds lighter-- or somewhere near that neighborhood-- when we go to WDW in July.

Any WW pros willing to share any concrete advice/tips?

I've been on almost a year. Down 60 or so pounds. Would have been more but I lost motivation from October to the beginning of this month. It was ok, I just maintained what I lost then started again. Just track what you eat and move more. It works.

As for Wendy's I always get the chili, it's like 4 or 5 points for a small. And it's filling. A Jr cheeseburger is 9 at Wendy's and a Jr cheeseburger deluxe is 11. Sometimes those burgers are worth it ;)
Also, we bought an air fryer and make our own fries. It's about the same points as a plain baked potato and I've come to like them more than regular fries.

Menu planning takes time but it really helps. Also, if you know you have a big event or something you really want to splurge on save those weekly points up. It helps to plan ahead. The first few weeks you will see a more drastic loss than the rest of the weeks but just stick with it. It really does work If you follow the program.

Oh. And ice cream. Try halotop. Very, very low points and tastes pretty good.
Good luck!

I'll join in. Fair warning - I tend to run hot and cold on checking in with DISBoards.

From 2001-2003 I lost 46 lbs. on WW. I have kept most of that off but now 10 years into motherhood I was gaining at a rate that is not ok. I am back on the WW bandwagon - online only. I have tried once or twice before. This new Freestyle is different for me, but I've done 3 other versions over the years, so this one will work too once I figure out my body.

I'm 1 week in, and weighed in today for a 3 lb. loss. I'm excited that DH has decided to join me this time. Also new for me is that so many foods I enjoy are zero points. I'm snacking smart and not nearly as hungry as the last time I tried. What I have learned is that my eating is healthier and I am more active than when I joined in 2001. Also being so much older, I think this time will be a much more gradual change. I'm going to have to embrace it for the long haul.

We have a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Yosemite in June and hopefully a trip to WDW in August and a large portion of these extra 20 lbs I'm carrying have got to go!

Ask questions . . . I'm happy to help. My biggest advice - eat all of your points every day to start. Plan health snacks and meals BEFORE you get hungry, keep low points snacks in your car or purse. Plan before you get to a restaurant (good for you!). Get moving, even if it's just a little. Treat yourself with those weeklies at least once every few days so you don't feel deprived. Track every bite and move on. Forgive yourself.

OK, a question.

I've been good for a week-- weigh in is today. I've only used 2 of my weekly points last Friday; most days I'm a point or two below my 23 point target. And I know I could have a snack to use them up, but I'm honestly not hungry.

Why do you say to use all the points everyday? I can see that some days I'll want them, and to even dip into the weeklies. But is it OK to be a point or two below my daily target on most days?

OK, a question.

I've been good for a week-- weigh in is today. I've only used 2 of my weekly points last Friday; most days I'm a point or two below my 23 point target. And I know I could have a snack to use them up, but I'm honestly not hungry.

Why do you say to use all the points everyday? I can see that some days I'll want them, and to even dip into the weeklies. But is it OK to be a point or two below my daily target on most days?
I'll try to help. My target is 23. My "blue dot" healthy range is 13-28 (see the journey tab on the app for yours). I think most people advise that you should always eat at least the 13. Most days I eat 23. Sometimes I eat more like 19. Up to 4 can be rolled into your weeklies if you don't eat them. So if I eat 20, the 3 leftover are added to my weeklies the next day. If I eat 18, I lose 1 point and 4 are added to my weeklies the next day. Those reset on weigh-in day. I think having a point or 2 or 3 leftover is ok if you are not hungry.

I guess I said eat all your points so that you don't feel deprived. The idea is to be sure you eat enough to lose weight. I know that's counterintuitive, but if you "starve" your body, you may go into a mode where your metabolism slows and you lose less weight. It may be that you can routinely eat 15 without feeling deprived, but if you find you aren't losing, you need to eat more. I'm feeling less deprived with Freestyle, so I'm not sure eating all 23 is going to be what works for me this time. Another aspect to eating all of your points is so that you treat yourself enough that you don't give up due to feeling you can never have the foods you enjoy. You can!

That's a great loss!! So glad it's working for you.

I tried to rollover a day or 2 this week. Had an extra glass of wine at book club last night and now my 1st 2 dining out evenings since I rejoined are this weekend. I hope I can stretch my weeklies. Time to work the plan . . .

Yeah, I think we may be going out for something to eat too. I'm thinking maybe a small steak and a baked potato. Not the lowest points out there, but easier to order plain and to guesstimate the points.

OK, so we went out to Chilis... my first dinner out since starting.

I ordered a 6 oz sirloin (6 pts), with broccoli (0 points.) So far so good.

But they don't carry baked potatoes. So I ordered the loaded mashed. (13 points.)

I got my plate, cut the potatoes into eighths. (Not hard, think slicing a pizza.) I had one eighth-- enough to feel like a treat-- and stopped. And when I was done, I immediately put my napkin over the remaining potatoes. The busboy took my plate.

So 8 points, and I had the treat of loaded mashed potatoes. I finished the day with 3 points to spare, so I had some gingersnaps as a snack with a cup of tea.

This plan is SO workable!!!

OK, so we went out to Chilis... my first dinner out since starting.

I ordered a 6 oz sirloin (6 pts), with broccoli (0 points.) So far so good.

But they don't carry baked potatoes. So I ordered the loaded mashed. (13 points.)

I got my plate, cut the potatoes into eighths. (Not hard, think slicing a pizza.) I had one eighth-- enough to feel like a treat-- and stopped. And when I was done, I immediately put my napkin over the remaining potatoes. The busboy took my plate.

So 8 points, and I had the treat of loaded mashed potatoes. I finished the day with 3 points to spare, so I had some gingersnaps as a snack with a cup of tea.

This plan is SO workable!!!
The plan is totally workable. That’s what I like so much about it. It’s all about balance. I’ve saved all my weeklies and rolled some over as well for ice cream tomorrow (real ice cream, not halo top). Last night we made lasagna for dinner and a serving and a half cost me 12 points and I still had 8 left. Had a little snack and left 4 points on the table.

Yay! Love hearing how it’s working for y’all. I’m going to a pub tonight. It’s a craft-burger place with signature cocktails. I have today’s points plus 29 weeklies. I’m going to have to be very careful. The shrimp salad sounds amazing, but I’ve been dying to try their burgers. Luckily the offer then without the bun and in smaller patties. I’ll just have to decide whether the martini or the burger is more important for girls night. I don’t think I can do both.

We're not a football family... and besides, we live in Jets country. So the Superbowl isn't a particularly rough day to keep on track.

But let's talk diet friendly snacks:

- raw veggies and what? I'm thinking diet salad dressing but I bet you guys can come up with options.
- deviled eggs. Eggs themselves are zero points. Low fat mayo will cost points, but the mustard is zero points.
- smoked salmon on crackers? A little would go a long way

What else?

We're not a football family... and besides, we live in Jets country. So the Superbowl isn't a particularly rough day to keep on track.

- raw veggies and what? I'm thinking diet salad dressing but I bet you guys can come up with options.
- deviled eggs. Eggs themselves are zero points. Low fat mayo will cost points, but the mustard is zero points.

What else?
For veggie dip I use fat free plain Greek yogurt and mix it with dry powdered ranch dressing mix to make ranch dip. 0 points. There was a powdered dip Walmart was selling for loaded potato’s that had bacon and cheese flavor that people were mixing with the yogurt for 0 as well. I hate plain fat free Greek yogurt but when mixed with a dressing pack it doesn’t taste as bad.

What else?

For veggie dip I use fat free plain Greek yogurt and mix it with dry powdered ranch dressing mix to make ranch dip. 0 points. There was a powdered dip Walmart was selling for loaded potato’s that had bacon and cheese flavor that people were mixing with the yogurt for 0 as well. I hate plain fat free Greek yogurt but when mixed with a dressing pack it doesn’t taste as bad.

This weekend turned out pretty well. Made it through with some weeklies left still.

Snacks - fruit. Lots of it. In fact, I'm trying not to eat too much. Love the greek yogurt flavored with dressing or seasoning blends. Also, I have sprinkled in 1 packet of Splenda when I want a dessert-like topping for something. Laughing Cow or Babybel cheeses are good. I discovered the FlatOut Wraps this weekend and we crisped those in the oven for 2 points. We topped them to make pizza, but you could cut into triangles, bake, and have something like a pita chip. Most salsa is zero, just watch for sugar in the ingredients. I like the individual guacamole cups for about 3 pts. Hummus is pretty low in points. Light popcorn. You can also air pop your own in a brown lunch sack in the microwave. It's easier to measure added oil that way.

This weekend turned out pretty well. Made it through with some weeklies left still.

Snacks - fruit. Lots of it. In fact, I'm trying not to eat too much. Love the greek yogurt flavored with dressing or seasoning blends. Also, I have sprinkled in 1 packet of Splenda when I want a dessert-like topping for something. Laughing Cow or Babybel cheeses are good. I discovered the FlatOut Wraps this weekend and we crisped those in the oven for 2 points. We topped them to make pizza, but you could cut into triangles, bake, and have something like a pita chip. Most salsa is zero, just watch for sugar in the ingredients. I like the individual guacamole cups for about 3 pts. Hummus is pretty low in points. Light popcorn. You can also air pop your own in a brown lunch sack in the microwave. It's easier to measure added oil that way.
I think you named everything on my snack list.

Weigh in Day!!! I'm down 5.5lbs in 2 weeks. I don't expect to keep losing at this rate, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised. How is everyone doing?

What is your plan for Valentine's Day or Fat Tuesday? We'll be celebrating both on 2/13, so I'll be hoarding my weeklies this weekend. I wish the weather would cooperate so I can get outside.

YAY!! Congrats!!!
Weigh in for me is tomorrow.

Not sure about Fat Tuesday/ Valentines Day. I have some shrimp in the freezer. They would be a nice treat, but the following day is Ash Wednesday, so no meat on Wednesday. Hmmmmm....

I’m down, but only about half a pound since Sunday. I’ll take it, though. I had a sundae on Sunday and some other cheat type foods (stayed in my points). Nothing for Valentines or Fat Tuesday but my DD has a birthday the 15th so I will eat a cupcake that day.

Good point about saving the shrimp for Wed. I was thinking of having a cajun shrimp dish (grilled?) on Tuesday, but maybe we'll lean toward small filet mignons with a tiny amount of sauce, some sweet potatoes, and the really yummy black bean brownies that my friend introduced me to. But shrimp sounds good too.

I joined 2 weeks ago and did good the first 2 weeks. The past 2 days have been rough. We had a baby shower at work and I ate a piece of cake. I think it was about 23 points . Hoping to get back on track tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!