Just off Disney Fantasy...what a final night!!!

I guess I'm just a bit confused--why do folks think there should have been an announcement? Seems like there is not really much you can do to prepare for rough seas, and I would imagine that once the ship starts rocking it'll be pretty apparent that what is going on is rough seas and not a problem with she ship since that kind of motion is pretty unmistakeable, so I guess I just don't know what is it people think is the value of an announcement?

Well, there always has been on my past cruises so I guess I'd assume something was out of the ordinary if they now didn't. As someone else mentioned it's a courtesy like when you fly and they announce whether they expect bad turbulence or not. Honestly I've always assumed it is more for them than us - if people know ahead of time what to expect they won't be as nervous and ring the call button. They'll know to keep things tucked away and the seatbelt on. If I know we are sailing through rough seas then if I am rocked awake I can more easily ignore it/go back to bed than wonder how long it is going to last and how bad its going to get. And, if you are prone to seasickness, then you know to be mindful of your dosing and perhaps even choose something different for dinner.

I guess I'm just a bit confused--why do folks think there should have been an announcement?
I havent seen this mentioned but an announcement ahead of time would have allowed people to take seasickness meds early, when they are more effective. The other reasons mentioned are valid too.

Was on the Disney Fantasy last week from Feb 15-22. Had an amazing time with Star Wars Day at Sea. Great weather and super smooth waters until the last night This was our 12th cruise and we've never experienced the roughness of the seas heading from Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral. Apparently water hitting the ship up to deck 10. If this had been our first cruise, and didn't realize that this was unusual, may be hesitant to go on another. First time I was actually a nervous on a ship. Never felt rocking like that!!!
Was also on that cruise. It was our 10th and the roughest we've experienced. Our room host warned us that it was going to be a rough night, but we didn't expect it too be that rough. A CM told us that in 2 years on the Fantasy, he had never experienced anything like it. It was a LONG night!!

We have also never experienced the wait to get off in PC. A CM told us that the reason for the delay was that we were 1 1/2 hours late getting into PC due to the storm and then the gangway was broken for a bit.

Was also on that cruise. It was our 10th and the roughest we've experienced. Our room host warned us that it was going to be a rough night, but we didn't expect it too be that rough. A CM told us that in 2 years on the Fantasy, he had never experienced anything like it. It was a LONG night!!

We have also never experienced the wait to get off in PC. A CM told us that the reason for the delay was that we were 1 1/2 hours late getting into PC due to the storm and then the gangway was broken for a bit.
Ah yes...getting off in the AM was a mess as well...line was PAST Animators...we were right around the side entrance for Royal Court and it took forever. Although, customs went really quick.

Like I mentioned earlier, the bartender told us it was expected to be rough, but not THAT rough. haha.

Glad to hear it was, in fact, that bad from a CM. Still cant believe how my 7 year old twins slept through the WHOLE thing.

I guess I'm just a bit confused--why do folks think there should have been an announcement? Seems like there is not really much you can do to prepare for rough seas, and I would imagine that once the ship starts rocking it'll be pretty apparent that what is going on is rough seas and not a problem with she ship since that kind of motion is pretty unmistakeable, so I guess I just don't know what is it people think is the value of an announcement?

I wasn’t on this particular cruise, but I would have liked to have known that rough seas were to be expected.

Our flight wasn't until 7:30pm, so we were in no hurry to disembark. We didn't step off the ship until almost 10:30. Buses were walready showing up from MCO with the next batch of passengers. Then there was a total cluster&$#! with getting our rental car (first waiting for the shuttle to pick us up and then at the rental office), but that had nothing to do with Disney. All in all, a crazy final 24 hours. :crazy2:

I agree 100%. You are on a ship in the ocean. The ocean has tides and currents and waves that are affected by weather fronts. Things can change rapidly.

A few years ago around 2am on the final night of a Med cruise as we were going straight across from Italy to Barcelona we hit a storm that was not predicted (at his noon report the captain said it should be smooth sailing).We were in winds basically one tick shy of a hurricane. It happens.

I was on the Celebrity Edge last week and we felt rocking and waves - and had spray at least up to Deck 6. No announcement was made, nor did I feel it should be.

You are on the ocean and movement is to be expected. (Of course I find it absurd that beaches (like Castaway) have to put up signs that you might encounter sea life. You are in their territory.)

The original post included this:
Apparently water hitting the ship up to deck 10. First time I was actually a nervous on a ship. Never felt rocking like that!!!
Our table mates on our last cruise mentioned being on a ship when the waves were as high as deck 6. I really find both of these comments hard to believe. If the waves were really that high everything, deck chairs and anything not tied down, would be swept off the promenade on deck 4. Are the doors opening onto the promenade watertight? The chairs and the little table on the lowest verandas also would likely be swept away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter