Just off Disney Fantasy...what a final night!!!

Was on the Disney Fantasy last week from Feb 15-22. Had an amazing time with Star Wars Day at Sea. Great weather and super smooth waters until the last night This was our 12th cruise and we've never experienced the roughness of the seas heading from Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral. Apparently water hitting the ship up to deck 10. If this had been our first cruise, and didn't realize that this was unusual, may be hesitant to go on another. First time I was actually a nervous on a ship. Never felt rocking like that!!!
We were on this cruise as well....kids slept through it ALL...wife and I were freaking out...slamming into the water every couple minutes. What a wild ride.

Add to that the medical emergency U-turn on the Cozumel night and we had quite the travel experience. Hope the passenger was OK though. Did not hear any updates on their condition although, I know they likely can't disclose that.

Bad form by DCL to not give a heads up. Although, our bartender told us he was told to not put any bottles or the fancy beakers up for the Negroni's because it was going to be a rough night. I dont think even he knew it would be that bad.

Last edited:
That is crazy to think they wouldn't have warned you! We've been warned of rough seas where everything operates normally (though walking the hallways is fun) - I can't imagine why they would think that night did not warrant it. I'd certainly send them a message that it was not OK.

I was on the ship as well and I'm not annoyed at the lack of announcement. If they had made one, I can imagine all of the passengers complaining that the announcement woke them up or woke up their kids.

I was on the ship as well and I'm not annoyed at the lack of announcement. If they had made one, I can imagine all of the passengers complaining that the announcement woke them up or woke up their kids.

It sounds like they knew earlier in the day though - making an announcement when you're already being tossed around anyway doesn't do a lot of good. I'd want one earlier before the waves got rough.

they knew much earlier than when it started...

The announcement should have come around 5pm - right after everyone was back on board from Castaway. So no one would have been woken up from anything other than a nap. The conditions were forecast at least 24 hours in advance. So the Captain and his crew knew full well what was in store. They made sure, however, to make announcements after everyone was back on board to remind all that that this was the last night to spend money on photo packages and in the gift shops.

Last edited:

I was on the Wonder last week. The Wonder was one day ahead of the Fantasy at your ports of call except we didn't go to Castaway as we were out of New Orleans. We did end up with the Magic same day at Georgetown.

I also thought it was pretty smooth while we were in the Caribbean. I thought going down the Mississippi was super smooth...barely noticeable that you were even on a ship. Going back up it, though was a different story. I woke up a few times. You could definitely feel it and especially feel the tight turns.

Having not been on this particular cruise, I can't say if there was no announcement about the conditions. But on every cruise I have been on I have either been in our cabin watching tv or in Cabanas when an announcement was made. I couldn't hear it in my cabin and would have to open our cabin door to hear it. In Cabanas I tried to get under a speaker to hear announcements, but it was impossible to hear and no one paid any attention anyway. So it wouldn't surprise me if an announcement was made, but not heard by most passengers.

On the Fantasy cruise that is being discussed can anyone say who was the Captain. On our last cruise, the Sept WBTA, the route was altered due to tropical storm/hurricane and we had a few nights of rough seas. Commodore Tom kept up with regular updates about the conditions and route changes. He actually probably over stated things in our opinion. In our experience most captains are pretty good about details so I wonder if it was specific to the crew and leadership onboard.

Our first cruise years ago had 25 foot waves. A few things were closed or not available due to conditions but I don’t recall any specific announcements but that was 12 years and 14 cruises ago. Never had seas as rough as that even two trips through the North Atlantic including that WBTA.

On the Fantasy cruise that is being discussed can anyone say who was the Captain. On our last cruise, the Sept WBTA, the route was altered due to tropical storm/hurricane and we had a few nights of rough seas. Commodore Tom kept up with regular updates about the conditions and route changes. He actually probably over stated things in our opinion. In our experience most captains are pretty good about details so I wonder if it was specific to the crew and leadership onboard.

Our first cruise years ago had 25 foot waves. A few things were closed or not available due to conditions but I don’t recall any specific announcements but that was 12 years and 14 cruises ago. Never had seas as rough as that even two trips through the North Atlantic including that WBTA.
Captain Marco.

My daughter works on the Fantasy. She has worked for Disney Cruise Line for 4 years & that was the roughest she has experienced. She told me guest services received calls from passengers wanting to know how to put on the life jackets. I guess they were the ones not paying attention at the muster drill.:confused:

I guess I'm just a bit confused--why do folks think there should have been an announcement? Seems like there is not really much you can do to prepare for rough seas, and I would imagine that once the ship starts rocking it'll be pretty apparent that what is going on is rough seas and not a problem with she ship since that kind of motion is pretty unmistakeable, so I guess I just don't know what is it people think is the value of an announcement?

A night with rough seas is just part of a cruise to me. And really, with modern stabilizers and huge ships, things aren't all that rough anymore.
We cruised on the Celebrity Eclipse in October, Vancouver to Los Angeles, I don't think we felt any movement at all the entire week. Kind of disappointing.
But my first cruise was in 1980 on the MS Mermoz. 12,000 tons versus 83,000 for the Disney Magic. No stabilizers. Built in 1957. There were times you could literally watch the ship rise and fall if you stood in the hall. We had a group of 12, and only one got queasy. And modern sick sickness medicines can control that.

giphy.gif

I guess I'm just a bit confused--why do folks think there should have been an announcement? Seems like there is not really much you can do to prepare for rough seas, and I would imagine that once the ship starts rocking it'll be pretty apparent that what is going on is rough seas and not a problem with she ship since that kind of motion is pretty unmistakeable, so I guess I just don't know what is it people think is the value of an announcement?

It's just the right thing to do. Always be transparent and error on the side of over-communicating.

Several people from our cruise group on the "social media site that cannot be named on DISboards" have said they would have felt better about the situation had an announcement been made. Most veteran cruisers knew, while very unsettling and uncomfortable, that we were not in any real danger. However, I think the less-experienced cruisers were not so sure of that.

I agree...I was just hoping to hear something from the Captain even just saying we're going to be going through some rocky waters. Just to give peace of mind that everything was OK. almost like on a plane the captain always lets you know when some turbulence is coming.

And I agree...disembarking was absolute nightmare...never had that before...took almost 2 hours to get off...thankfully we had a later flight
I wasn’t on this cruise but, I was on the Magic during this time..... no rough waves but some crazy winds though..... I will agree 💯 about how awful disembarkation on the ships out of Port Canaveral have been...... I have been on 14 cruises and it only been the last 3/4 that seem to have been this way.....I was concerned about how it was going to be in Miami but was pleasantly surprised at what they do by allowing the express check off people off first and then they disembark based on what your luggage tag character is....of course ours was Donald and we were the last ones called but, I was off the ship, through customs, and out to the parking garage in less than 15 minutes

I was on the Wonder last week. The Wonder was one day ahead of the Fantasy at your ports of call except we didn't go to Castaway as we were out of New Orleans. We did end up with the Magic same day at Georgetown.

I also thought it was pretty smooth while we were in the Caribbean. I thought going down the Mississippi was super smooth...barely noticeable that you were even on a ship. Going back up it, though was a different story. I woke up a few times. You could definitely feel it and especially feel the tight turns.
I was on the Magic and made sure to take videos and pics of you guys coming in.... was disappointed there was a ship in between us but got some pics after they left!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter