Just paid our deposit yesterday for CCV - Guaranteed Week

Anthony Vito

DIS Veteran
We just paid our deposit yesterday to buy in at Copper Creek direct!Still hasn't quite sunk in yet, plus we're waiting for our paperwork to finalize everything, which should be in a couple days then we can officially be members. We're excited though - we've put a lot of thought into it (been discussing it for 2 years).

We ended up changing directions a bit last minute though (and the reason I posted here instead of Mouscellaneous) - we ended up going with a guaranteed week reservation - Week 48 (1st week of December). The more we looked into this, the more sense it made. We were going to just buy the minimum 75 points before CCV sold out, but decided to go more with the guaranteed week.

One of our big concerns with buying in is the difficulty to get studios that we've seen discussed on these boards and elsewhere, particularly at CCV, even at 11 months. We had seen that there's a premium, and that initially turned us off along with being locked into a week. However, we learned that the premium is on the number of points to book the week, not on the price of the points. So instead of 107 points for the week, it will cost us 118 points. Plus, we have the option each year of releasing the reservation and using the points elsewhere, so we're not locked into that week, but we have it guaranteed if we want it. If we use the points elsewhere, then they are just normal points and we have them all to work with.

We also like that the 118 is locked in, so if Disney adjusts the point charts to address the reality that December is a popular month and hard to get, then we could in theory be saving points each year. If anyone is considering buying direct, ask about this, because it seems like it can really eliminate one of the big current drawbacks with DVC (studio availability). Lastly, another way we looked at it - if there was an "upgraded" room category that allowed earlier booking to get the room or guaranteed the room, I bet most people would jump at that for only an additional 11 points for the week.

We just paid our deposit yesterday to buy in at Copper Creek direct!Still hasn't quite sunk in yet, plus we're waiting for our paperwork to finalize everything, which should be in a couple days then we can officially be members. We're excited though - we've put a lot of thought into it (been discussing it for 2 years).

We ended up changing directions a bit last minute though (and the reason I posted here instead of Mouscellaneous) - we ended up going with a guaranteed week reservation - Week 48 (1st week of December). The more we looked into this, the more sense it made. We were going to just buy the minimum 75 points before CCV sold out, but decided to go more with the guaranteed week.

One of our big concerns with buying in is the difficulty to get studios that we've seen discussed on these boards and elsewhere, particularly at CCV, even at 11 months. We had seen that there's a premium, and that initially turned us off along with being locked into a week. However, we learned that the premium is on the number of points to book the week, not on the price of the points. So instead of 107 points for the week, it will cost us 118 points. Plus, we have the option each year of releasing the reservation and using the points elsewhere, so we're not locked into that week, but we have it guaranteed if we want it. If we use the points elsewhere, then they are just normal points and we have them all to work with.

We also like that the 118 is locked in, so if Disney adjusts the point charts to address the reality that December is a popular month and hard to get, then we could in theory be saving points each year. If anyone is considering buying direct, ask about this, because it seems like it can really eliminate one of the big current drawbacks with DVC (studio availability). Lastly, another way we looked at it - if there was an "upgraded" room category that allowed earlier booking to get the room or guaranteed the room, I bet most people would jump at that for only an additional 11 points for the week.
Is it more money to buy direct week versus points?

We're still buying points, same as we would otherwise, and the points are the same price (currently $188). We just had to buy the number for the week (118) and we're having to use more points than we would otherwise. So the week we bought is currently 107 points for the week. It's costing us 118 points to book for the week (which is still cheaper than booking a week in the summer, etc.), since early December is still on the lowest tier on the points chart, even though it's apparently the hardest to get at Wilderness (although CCV studios are looking like they're hard to get any time). However, if we give up that week and use our points elsewhere or for another time, we have the full 118 points to use and we don't have to pay any premium when booking elsewhere.

Sounds like you did your homework before buying. Congrats on the purchase. I'm actually shocked that fixed week 48 in a studio @ CCV was still available.

Congrats!We are CCV fixed week (49) owners as well. Great decision!

Sounds like you did your homework before buying. Congrats on the purchase. I'm actually shocked that fixed week 48 in a studio @ CCV was still available.
When we bought our fixed week last July, we got the last week available. Only sold 4 total for that week. Since CCV has now declared all its inventory that last week may have just been released.

Good call on guaranteed week. Speaking as a CCV owner myself: Booking CCV for that time of year is a mess, even at 11 months. I wish I knew about guaranteed weeks when I bought CCV. But I did recently buy that same week (#48) at RVA. I doubt I will buy direct again without getting a guaranteed week.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story - I hadn't really thought about a guaranteed week before but you make a compelling case. Enjoy your new home!

This is a great example of when to buy direct. How many studios does CCV have anyways?

I had always thought buying a Guarantee Week isn't a good idea, since you are paying more for points for the same week. However, you convinced me otherwise. Not that I plan on buying direct, but this actually the only reason that make sense to me to buying direct and to buying a Guarantee Week.

I think you will be really happy at the end with your purchase decision. Enjoy!!!

Great3

Congratulations Anthony Vito, it sounds like a good decision. Do you know which studio type you bought, studio with shower or studio with tub/shower?

That was a good call on your part especially for that week. That is probably the busiest week demand wise at Wilderness Lodge each year.

Congrats and Welcome Home.

Thanks!! We were worried about that being so busy, and frankly worried that studios are looking to always be busy.

Thanks. We were assuming there wasn't going to be much of a point in looking into it that hard because we also thought there was no way there'd be availability then.

Congrats!We are CCV fixed week (49) owners as well. Great decision!

Thank you!! Glad to hear from someone else who has that.

So we're almost Guaranteed Week buddies. We don't start ours until 2020 because this year was already booked up. I guess we'll be saying "hi/bye" in passing most years.

Good call on guaranteed week. Speaking as a CCV owner myself: Booking CCV for that time of year is a mess, even at 11 months. I wish I knew about guaranteed weeks when I bought CCV. But I did recently buy that same week (#48) at RVA. I doubt I will buy direct again without getting a guaranteed week.

Thanks - that's what we were afraid of. I guess we'll be traveling to WDW at the same time as you guys most years!

Thanks for sharing your story - I hadn't really thought about a guaranteed week before but you make a compelling case. Enjoy your new home!

Thanks!!

This is a great example of when to buy direct. How many studios does CCV have anyways?

We never intended to buy anything more than the minimum from direct, but learning more about this really does put a big plus on the direct side of the argument. I'm not entirely sure how many studios, I think trying to do the math it seemed to be under 100, but some of those are in lock-offs so aren't even always studios. I could be wrong though.

I had always thought buying a Guarantee Week isn't a good idea, since you are paying more for points for the same week. However, you convinced me otherwise. Not that I plan on buying direct, but this actually the only reason that make sense to me to buying direct and to buying a Guarantee Week.

I think you will be really happy at the end with your purchase decision. Enjoy!!!

Great3

Thank you - we're very excited. The more we've looked at it, looked at what the premium really is (not all that much), and looked at availability throughout the resorts really, our thinking on all of it has changed quite a bit too.

Congratulations Anthony Vito, it sounds like a good decision. Do you know which studio type you bought, studio with shower or studio with tub/shower?

Thank you! We went with the tub/shower. We were going to go with the walk-in - seemed a little nicer, but then we saw the layout and a video of the "Alternate Studios" that just look amazing. I think there are only 5 of them, but they seem to be tub/shower, so we figure going with the tub at least gives us an outside shot, even if unlikely, to get one.

Is it more money to buy direct week versus points?
10% more points to book it. So, for example, say it's 100 points for the week. You pay for 110 points as a guaranteed week, and that week is automatically booked for you for 110 points every year. Then, you have the option each year to cancel and get 110 points to use on a different accommodation. The other advantage is you're protected from a reallocation. Suppose they reallocated points and it was then 115 points to book that same week. You still get the guaranteed booking for 110 points every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!