Just playing here...

Ya know, when I was looking at the problem, I wasn't looking at it with my normal programmer mentality, nor was I even thinking 'optimization'. Duh, obviously your method is MUCH MUCH easier. I WAS trying too hard.

Hey, I'm new to this flash stuff, give me a week or two and I'll code circles around you. :) not!

Anyway, what you did worked perfectly, and I even added my own optimization.

gotoandplay(random(x-1)+1)

where x is the number of images. It could hit zero and one and have to loop back on itself in your way, this way, it will only have to loop on itself in the zero case. It ran noticably faster when I put it in this way (or it just mighta been Angelfire being slow/fast...)

I just started the job with BNY a month ago. I do believe we do all kinds of clearing, including ACH. I also know we do a bunch of work with brokers and the old method clearing where someone just calls in. I don't know a heck of a lot about 'everything' we do - I am a Programmer/Analyst in their Datawarehousing department. I do a LOT of work with SQL, and might have to dip into my VB experience every once in a while. I'm having fun. :) And you?

Thanks for teaching me more about fishing. Who woulda thought because of our respective obsessions with WDW you'd be teaching me flash via a chat board. lol

Check mine out here

I didn't really notice any problems with the recalculation on cases of "0" or "1" so I didn't worry about it. You are right though, it is more efficient your way.

We have been using Flash 4 scripting commands (old) where as in Flash 5, the new randomizer command is not only more random but more functional. BTW you should publish in Flash 4 whenever you can for compatibility reasons, which is why we did it this way. My current "Tunes 4 Tuesday" post for example, will only allow me to publish as Flash 5 due to the getBytesloaded command in the load meter (I think that's the command that prevents it from reverting???? I can't remember now).

What's the next project?

JC

The reason I wanted the random images is cause I wanted to be able to load a series of images that I liked, but wanted to stay within the restrictions of the size/count of images on the sig.

Could we determine in some way whether or not we are on a dialup or a dedicated (DSL, Cable, T1, etc) connection?

It would be nice for the slower dial up connections (14.4 or 33.6) to use a lower resolution file if it's an image(smaller), and someone that uses a DSL/Cable to send the whole series of pics as a swf file and have it cycle through them.

hmmmmm

Whoa! Whoa! Hold up there a minute!

You just went from fishing off a dock with a stick, some string and a couple of Cheetos to a yacht and $80,000 worth of tackle!

Baby steps.

hat.gif

Yes, you can do that and I do have an example, but it is VERY complicated and not 100% reliable to boot.

It involves load counts, % loaded, a timer, itterations(?) and a few other lines of code that I'm not sure I completley understand.

I hope you speak Greek.

JC

Why walk with the turkeys when you can soar with the eagles?

Actually, that is rather ambitous, and I think a little beyond what is really needed for a Disney chat board of all things.

I would like to learn more on how to use Flash and the different things that you can do. I am VERY impressed with what other sites are able to do with regards to image manipulation/etc with flash.

The problem is - with a full time job, a 4 year old DD, a DW that LOVES to shop, a honey do list a mile long, a webserver of my own to administer, and a yearning to be on the golf course, the only time I have available is between 11:30pm and 11:45pm on Thursday nights to learn this stuff.

While not being too busy at work right now lets me explore a little, it won't last forever. :) Too bad they can't pay me to play with these things. Maybe - someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter