Just ran the numbers, and the 7 day wins for us!

westjones

DIS Veteran
I decided to figure out the 'per day' cost of the Disney Cruise for us the week we plan to go next September (2004).

I checked on the week of September 19th for a Cat. 10. for 2 adults, 2 children (under 12). Here is our per day cost according to the DCL website:

7 day per day cost = $385.63
4 day per day cost = $406.85
3 day per day cost = $462.47

We are going on the 7 day, but the next year I'm not sure we can swing it, so it looks like the 4 day is more 'economical' then the 3 day (besides, I would love the extra day on the ship).

Just thought I would share this with you guys. I actually booked onboard for the 7 day and got the 10% off with the $200 onboard credit, so that brought our cost per day down to $329.34! Less than a $100 per person per day for our vacation. That sounds pretty good!

DJ

Westjones,

Just curious, did you factor in tips, as well as drinks et al into your per day cost?:smooth:

No, I just compared the prices of the cruise as listed on the DCL website. The tips are on a 'per day' bases, so they should be the same amount per day regardless of the cost of the cruise.

We don't drink alcoholic drinks, so that isn't a factor. Excursions will be, because they will be more on a 7day cruise.

I actually moved my reservation to Dreams Unlimited, so I forgot to factor in that we saved another $75 on the total. So our per day cost for next year's 7 day cruise will be $318.63 .

I realize there are more things to consider, but I was just looking at the 'cost of the cruise' in terms of daily lodging and food. Anything else we spend money on will be our choice (like excursions).

I realize the DCL is still a rather costly vacation, but we love it. We just completed our 4th ones, and next year we have cruises 5 and 6 booked (I can't believe we get to do 2 cruises next year!).

DJ

For our cruise next spring break (late March), the 4 day was by far the cheapest per day but we dicided on the 7 day cruise anyway because we really don't see it as much of a vacation for less, especially since I have to take off the entire week to do the 4 day cruise anyway.

We might do a 4 day cruise in 2005 so that we can go to WDW a couple of days afterwards. I do think the 4 day fits our budget better, but next year we are going to splurge on a 7 day (we did a 7 day Western, and this will be a 7 day Eastern--so we will get the chance to try both).

I will say that the one thing we love about the 4 day cruises (if they don't go to Freeport) is having a day at sea AFTER the day at Castaway Cay. On the other cruises that have Castaway Cay as your last day, you have to get back on the ship and get packed up while still trying to enjoy the evening activities. By having that day at sea AFTER Castaway Cay, you can work on packing during the day and not feel rushed.

DJ

Have fun!

I think the kids program is worth the extra expense. DCL makes for a wonderful family vacation because everyone gets a little alone time as well as family time.

Enjoy!

Alexandrew wrote

did you factor in tips, as well as drinks et al into your per day cost

The longer cruise would in fact increase the total cost when you add in the tips and drinks.

However, the point of the Cost per day differential would remain exactly the same since tips are calculated on a per day basis.

As to drinks, if we assume a person drinks the same amount per day average, the differential wouldn't change. IF a person crams in more "enjoyment" in per day because they only have four days, the cost per day would increase for the four day rather than the seven. Note the unlimited soda program is $5/day.

To carry the point west jones makes even further, consider that the Passporter lists the "hours afloat" for the 7, 4 and 3 day cruises as 164, 92, and 68 hrs respectively.

This makes the cost per hour even more weighted in favor of the seven day:

Cost per HR

7 day: $16.46/hr
4 day: $17.69/hr
3 day: $20.40/hr

The 3 day costs nearly 24% more per hour afloat.

[To calculate the cost per hour I mulitplied westjones cost per day time the number of days in the cruise and divided by the hours afloat.]

Jim

That really show a BIG difference between the 3 and 4 day cruise. I do think that if we can't do a 7 day in 2005, we will go with a 4 day instead of a 3 day.

Thanks for the extra calculations! I will let DH know. He likes 'numbers'. :)

DJ

Thanks.

To think that some think a master's degree in Cost accounting is boring. ;)

Jim

jgalecpa,

Your calculations of the "cost per day differential" and the "cost per hour" for the cruises are something only another CPA could appreciate. I chuckled when I read your post! It reminded me of my cost accounting courses in college! Nice job!

bassoongirl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter